User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

Home
CleanMPG Staff
Articles
Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

More Reviews
Gallery
Mileage Logs

CleanMPG Store

Calendar
Glossary
Garage
Files

Research
Related Sites

Archives
Arcade

Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Motorcycle Owners Community » General

General General motorcycle discussion and overview including questions and concerns.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Get Better Mileage on Motorcycle

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-14-2012, 01:49 AM

Get Better Mileage on Motorcycle

Hey guys, I'm a new member here and I was wondering about getting better mpg on a motorcycle. I have a 2008 Honda cbr600rr and I have gotten close to 60mpg a few times but I was wondering if there were any times on getting even better mpg on a motorcycle. For example, one thing I do is shift up before I need to to keep the rpms low. Does that help to get better mpg? I've heard that if you're going to shift up (or short shift) you just need to make sure the bike isn't in to high of a gear that makes the bike kind of chug. Any tips would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-14-2012, 03:18 AM
Homura-chan's selfishness

Vehicles: BMW F650CS, Toyota Yaris 1.0
Re: Get Better Mileage on Motorcycle

Early shift should help, and some even change the gearing to have lower revs (like low&slow recently did to his Ninja 250). Motorcycles often overpowered compared to their weight (your 600RR is definitely too strong to be really efficient) so Pulse&Glide quickly comes to mind to avoid using the engine in inefficient ranges, especially at low speeds (and, therefore, low gears).

Other than revs, motorcycles have bad air drag, so riding too fast hurts more than in a car (but many motorcycles are badly inefficient at low speeds, so it may be a wash in your case).

And, just like with any other vehicle, it's always a good idea to avoid braking. Engine braking counts too. If you're in the city, time the lights so you don't have to stop, leave more distance ahead of you, and look far ahead, not the vehicle you're behind, to avoid sudden speed changes.

It's mostly various forms of coasting (including pulse&glide, and using that very buffer in real traffic) that could help me over 80mpg (in a better weather) with my 650 single (no aero nor gearing mods). I also ride relatively slow, most motorcyclist could not even imagine going under the speed limit...

#3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-15-2012, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the reply! I am interested in getting the Yamaha wr250x but for now I want to get the best mileage out of my 600rr.
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-15-2012, 02:10 PM

Oh... xcel wrote a review about the WR250X.

And much more

#5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-20-2012, 12:00 AM

Vehicles: 2000 Jaguar S-type 3.0L, 2000 Kawasaki EX250 streamliner, 2005 EX250

Greg, Welcome to the forum! Alavaro's advice is spot on: ride at the speed limit, avoid stops and idling, anticipate traffic signals and obstacles far ahead of you, etc. Taller gearing and improving your aerodynamic drag are the best mods. Check out my thread on my streamlined Ninja 250 for some guidance.
best wishes , L&S
  #6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-22-2012, 02:02 PM

All the tricks for cars work on bikes.

Unless you are really hitting the curves, pump your tires up. I keep mine at the max sidewall pressure. I know a lot of guys who ride sportbikes that keep their pressures race-low all the time. Pump up your tires and they'll last longer too. You can also consider going for sport-touring tires or touring tires that are not only cheaper, but they wear longer and provide a little less drag.

A huge thing is gearing. As someone said above, most bikes are overpowered. In my mind, they are all under-geared. There is no need to be sitting at 4000 RPM at 50 miles per hour. We are lucky in that we can change our ratios. I bumped up the gearing on my Ducati and went from 35 MPG to 45 MPG instantly with no noticeable loss of speed.

Go slow. If you can do a constant 45-50 MPH in top gear in full tuck you're gonna be getting extremely good fuel economy.

Go full tuck whenever you can.

Kill the engine whenever it is safe to.

Basically try the car tricks. On a motorcycle a lot of these tricks are much easier.
  #7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-22-2012, 03:31 PM

I agree, though I have a few remarks and notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiRider View Post
Unless you are really hitting the curves, pump your tires up. I keep mine at the max sidewall pressure. I know a lot of guys who ride sportbikes that keep their pressures race-low all the time. Pump up your tires and they'll last longer too. You can also consider going for sport-touring tires or touring tires that are not only cheaper, but they wear longer and provide a little less drag.
My main note is that I'd very much like to see rolling resistance ratings for motorcycle tires. I experienced some difference between the Metzeler Z6 set I used to have on Teresa and the Heidenau K73 set I use now. With the Z6 I had somewhat better FE, and it also liked high pressure better. It could easily handle sidewall max (2.9 bars / 43 PSI), but the K73 set feels to distort at that pressure (I feel them lack in stability) and I had to go down to like 2.5/2.7 bars (36.75/39 PSI) front/rear. Still higher than BMW recommended values for the F650CS (2.2/2.5 bars - 32/36.75 PSI).

Quote:
A huge thing is gearing. As someone said above, most bikes are overpowered. In my mind, they are all under-geared. There is no need to be sitting at 4000 RPM at 50 miles per hour. We are lucky in that we can change our ratios. I bumped up the gearing on my Ducati and went from 35 MPG to 45 MPG instantly with no noticeable loss of speed.
A very common experience, we should gear up Ciliegia (shiNIN's Hyosung GV250) too. We expect some FE improvement in top gear cruising.

Quote:
Go slow. If you can do a constant 45-50 MPH in top gear in full tuck you're gonna be getting extremely good fuel economy.

Go full tuck whenever you can.
I second, again. Full tuck is very uncomfortable with Teresa, though (wide handlebar, lack of a solid fuel tank before me). So I don't tuck too much, mostly on glides. Especially on longer glides.

Quote:
Kill the engine whenever it is safe to.
This is a great fun, I like to do it a lot. It took a while to find the way for proper bump starts, now I release the clutch lever gradually, then depress it again immediately when the engine starts to shift to the correct gear.

Another thing is that if you kill the engine often, always keep an eye on your battery. I could drain it at winter, when its resistance is higher and I use glove heating so it couldn't recover properly when the engine was running (probably couldn't charge during engine on glides at all).

In warmer weather I had no problem with frequent engine stops.

#8   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Tightwad

Vehicles: '96 Mazda B2300, '88 Kawasaki Concours, '02 Honda Odyssey, '06 Zongshen Sierra 200

The above is all good advice for just about every motorcycle. Those 600s are great bikes, and can do OK on mileage. For the performance they offer, congratulations 60mpg is very good. Document each tank and try to duplicate what you do on the best tanks.

Something I see alot are motorcyclists using too low a gear when riding at lower speeds. Always use the tallest gear that provides the power you need.

Some sportbike riders (very unlikely to be anyone here) are especially guilty of riding around in 2nd gear, simply because they can, and it makes them sound and feel "sporty". Just because 8000 rpm is nowhere near redline is no excuse to waste fuel, engine life and make more noise.

On the other hand, motorcycles in the US are toys to most, not a viable means of transportation. A small percentage of bikes accumulate more than 4000 miles a year.

My advice: Since most bikes get better mileage than the 4 wheeler owned by the same person, simply get good riding gear, luggage and replace as many car/truck miles with motorcycle miles as possible. Enjoy!
  #9   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-05-2012, 04:28 PM

Vehicles: 2011 Ford Fiesta ses 5m

I think I see a lot of the sport bike riders reducing their rolling resistence by keeping only the rear wheel on the ground, but I'm not sure it really helps.

Last edited by FXSTi : 04-06-2012 at 03:13 PM.
  #10   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-05-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXSTi View Post
I think I see a lot of the sport bike riders reducing their rolling resistence by keeping on the rear wheel on the ground, but I'm not sure it really helps.
I think they increase their bikes frontal area at the same time, so it's a wash, at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatr911
On the other hand, motorcycles in the US are toys to most, not a viable means of transportation. A small percentage of bikes accumulate more than 4000 miles a year.
It's the same here.