User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Conventional Automobile Owners Community » 4x4's, SUV's and P/U Trucks

4x4's, SUV's and P/U Trucks Discussion on the way in which to extract the most out of your large vhiecle.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Most fuel efficient compact SUV

Tags: ,

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 10-16-2011, 10:46 AM

Cool Most fuel efficient compact SUV

In early October I was able to hypermile MITSUBISHI's newest addition on the compact SUV market: the ASX 1.8 DID INVITE. I drove a 487 mile loop through major passes in the swiss Alps. Total altitude gain/loss was 44'300 ft! Average speed was 37.3 mph. The drive resulted in a amazing overall 45.23 MPG (MITSUBISHI claims 5.7 litre per 100 kms in the New European Driving Cycle which is equal to 41.27 MPG, however EPA estimates are easier to beat!!). The 305 miles with the toughest topography were covered with 39.2 MPG. The rather flat stretches on highways and autobahn at 55 mph delivered even 62.72 MPG. That's the good news, the bad news is: Up to now the 4 cylinder 1.8 litre Diesel is not (yet) available on the US-market...
Sponsored Links
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 10-16-2011, 02:37 PM
PZEV, there's nothing like it :)

Vehicles: Accord, Ranger, and anything else ;)
Re: Most fuel efficient compact SUV

Hi Savefuel:

I am warming up to the Ford Edge with the 2.0L EcoBoost. While it is no diesel like the European’s can purchase, my 10-minutes behind the wheel of one a few weeks back proved it was a 40 + lifetime mpgUS CUV for the right US based driver. It put my wife's 30 + mpgUS capable MDX to shame! The Truck side of Ford knows how to make powerful yet very fuel efficient vehicles from their monster 6.7L Power Stroke to the 2.0L and 3.5L EcoBoost engines. All with good spread ratios for towing when you need it and relaxed highway cruising when you do not.

Wayne
  #3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-22-2012, 11:24 PM
Bible Scholar, Environmentalist

Vehicles: 2001 Honda Accord; 2009 Honda Pilot

Has Wayne or anyone test driven one of the Kia Sportage vehicles? They get 31mpg hwy on the EPA test. You should be able to outdo that, right?

My Bible and Technology Blog: www.bible-tech.com

#4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-23-2012, 08:19 AM
Beat the System

Vehicles: 2009 Fit, 2004 Odyssey, 96 Civic retired

Compact SUV? Wait for the upcoming Mazda CX-5.
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-23-2012, 04:35 PM

Vehicles: '10 Mazda5, '00 bioTDI Golf, Bikes, Light Rail

Does Mitsubishi even have any plans to bring the ASX to North America? So far the smallest SUV they offer here is the Outlander.

As far as currently available CUVs, the EPA's site says the most FE ones available other than hybrids (Escape, RX400h, Highlander) are the Juke CVT (27/32mpg), CX-5 MT (26/35, of course not available quite yet), followed interestingly by the Outlander CVT (25/31).

If course if you don't need AWD (few genuinely do) or high ground clearance of SUVs, you can do quite a bit better with a small wagon or hatchback -- especially with this year's new crop like the Focus, Mazda3 and forthcoming Elantra GT.

My fuel economy page
  #6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-16-2012, 09:22 PM
PZEV, there's nothing like it :)

Vehicles: Accord, Ranger, and anything else ;)

Hi All:

Following Andrew’s post, with the release of the 35 mpgUS highway rated Mazda CX-5, nothing comes close in the Compact CUV/SUV segment this side of a European diesel.

Wayne
  #7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 12-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Old Dude, New Car

Vehicles: 2013 Kia Soul, base, AT
Cool Re: Most fuel efficient compact SUV

Or, The new 2013 Kia Soul. 1.6L DOHC, DFI, VVT.
Fun little 'car' to drive, and good MPG if you don't punish it.

With a wide track and high ground clearance, it's my Go Anywhere car.

Take one for a test drive and see what you think. I took my own test drive
and three hours later I drove it home and I wasn't even looking for a new car that day.

I sure do love mine! And 35+MPG on the highway is no problem at all.

Happy Holidays!
The Doctor

Last edited by The Doctor : 12-25-2012 at 10:42 AM.
  #8   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 12-25-2012, 01:37 PM
Veteran

Has GM improved on their 32mpg Equinox?
That-32mpg-was its number in 2009-10 when it came out
should be better now-right?
Probably bargain priced