User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Modding and Hardware » Technical

Technical Technical discussion on HW and SW mods with the intent of increasing performance and/or fuel economy.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Converting 4WD gen1 Honda CRV to FWD

Tags:

#21   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-27-2012, 06:49 AM
Older Member

Vehicles: 2009 Ford Escape & 2012 Toyota Prius c2
Re: Converting 4WD gen1 Honda CRV to FWD

Not too hard..

Two jacks. So you can lift the mount up and outwards..
Don't forget to remove the big axial nut first..

It pops out.. You can just see the Arm hiding behind the short shaft. It's bolt needs to be removed, before using the second jack.
That's the one I broke on the passenger side..

Yank it clear of the rear diff.

open it

Clean out the grease

And put it back in, lock the axial nut before driving..

2.5L with a 6 speed AT? The lazy man's Hypermiling SUV!

Wife's Pizza Transporter

Last edited by Xringer : 02-27-2012 at 06:29 PM. Reason: I've edited a pic, but can't see the edit here yet.?.
  #22   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-27-2012, 05:11 PM

Thanks Xringer

BTW- Do you know what size socket that nut is ?
  #23   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Older Member

I don't recall the Nut size. But, it's not hard to remove after you release the safety lock.
I forget if it's a pin or metal crimp holding the nut, but I think you can use an
adjustable wrench to remove the nut. I do own a large metric set, so I might have used one of my sockets.. That was years ago..

When you put it back on, make sure to get back the way it was..
The safety lock should go back on the way it was before removal..

Don't lower the jack without that little shaft and nut installed!!
(Not sure, but I think something bad could happen).
And be sure not to let anyone drive it either..

Here's what holds the wheel on..

Here in MA, I think they use an Ice-Melt stuff on the roads that is also a Honda-Melt product..

PS:
I edited the above post. Added a note about a bolt that needs to be removed before lifting the wheel mount, with a second jack..
It's been so long, (and I was on my way to work this AM) I just forgot the one important step!

You should use great care removing those bolts! Soak them in break-free stuff over night..
A light impact ratchet might be better than applying slow pressure with a socket wrench.. (The way I broke one)!

Wife's Pizza Transporter

Last edited by Xringer : 02-27-2012 at 06:34 PM.
  #24   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-01-2012, 06:58 AM

Thanks for adding the info on the bolt . If it is stubborn, I will stop trying to remove it before it breaks ( use pBlaster and impact as you suggest ). I will move to plan "B" cutting of the one half shafts then drop the rear end which would permit me to pull out the other half shaft from the inside .

I would probably the cut the half shaft with reciprocating saw or even a hacksaw (slow) since using a grinder instead of a grinder with a cutoff wheel is somewhat risky due to the proximity to the fuel tank .
  #25   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-01-2012, 08:46 AM
Older Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkpatt View Post
Thanks for adding the info on the bolt . If it is stubborn, I will stop trying to remove it before it breaks ( use pBlaster and impact as you suggest ). I will move to plan "B" cutting of the one half shafts then drop the rear end which would permit me to pull out the other half shaft from the inside .

I would probably the cut the half shaft with reciprocating saw or even a hacksaw (slow) since using a grinder instead of a grinder with a cutoff wheel is somewhat risky due to the proximity to the fuel tank .

If you have rust, cutting is a good idea, (if you have a good cutting tool).. No need to pull the wheels off.

DRAIN the rear Diff before starting your saw!

If you can crawl under there and not smell any gasoline fumes, you could use a cutting torch.
Just don't make any holes in the gas tank! A sheet metal shield would be good..

I found that dropping the rear-end (Rear Diff) to be a real PITB.. I recommend cutting both sides.
After the cuts are made, you can just yank out the diff shafts and un-clip the grease covers
and pull out the wheel sides in just a few minutes..

Just leave that pumpkin hanging up there, until you have a warm weekend this spring.

My left side bolt came right out. It was easy. So, I figured the right side would be easy too.
Big mistake. I applied a tad too much pressure and SNAP!!
I suddenly had days of hard work (and a big parts bill) ahead of me..

Wife's Pizza Transporter
  #26   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-13-2012, 02:58 PM

All done. I cut the axles (had a sheet metal shield). Getting the different out was easy . I there is a noticeable difference in response and mpg without the bad propeller shaft and bad differential . Thanks for your help .
  #27   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-13-2012, 03:08 PM
Older Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkpatt View Post
All done. I cut the axles (had a sheet metal shield). Getting the different out was easy . I there is a noticeable difference in response and mpg without the bad propeller shaft and bad differential . Thanks for your help .
Good to hear you were successful. I noticed a lot more zip. I came near a roll-over
on a ramp, due to unexpected acceleration.

I'm not sure, but IIRC, you just got rid of over 100 pounds of excess weight too.

Come back and post about your MPGs sometimes..

Oh yeah, don't forget to check your valve clearances every 30,000 miles!
(The manual is wrong).

Wife's Pizza Transporter
  #28   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-25-2012, 08:43 AM

Vehicles: 2011 Honda Accord LX 5MT, 2010 Honda Insight EX

I specifically avoided the EX model due to it only being 4WD/AWD...pleasently surprised with the MPG of my CRV

2010 Insight EX
  #29   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Older Member

I'm surprised that my 2.5L auto Escape can do better than my old Standard Shift 2.0 CRV.
Especially when on flat roads at 40 mph. (Where I now can get 40 mpg without even trying)!

I live in the wrong neck-o-th-woods for good MPG. All the back roads are jammed and loaded with stop lights.
The highways are loaded with speeders.. Get on a 55 MPH highway like US-95 and
drive 55 in the right lane, and suddenly there's a 16 wheeler coming up behind you at 75!

No matter if the posted limit is 55 or 65, if I drive right at the limit, everybody passes me.
It's very rare to see another car (never a see truck) that's also obeying the law.

I'm guessing it's going to be the same way when gas is $10 a gallon..

Wife's Pizza Transporter