User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Hybrid Owners Community » Toyota Camry Hybrid

Toyota Camry Hybrid Everything and anything relating to the Toyota Camry Hybrid.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Observations -- Toyota Camry Hybrid

#11   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-01-2012, 10:54 PM

Re: Observations/mileage -2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Ran 150 miles today starting at 4200', over and back 5280' pass at 60 deg f, mostly at 3000' with slower speeds than speed limit when not in traffic. Got 44 MPG. The motor-battery-wheels picture was very interesting and EV mode works at higher speeds than I expected. Watching the power flow arrows can be mesmerizing so don't get "pilot fever" and watch the instruments too much :-)
  #12   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 06-17-2012, 10:23 AM

June 2012 Observations -- Toyota Camry Hybrid LE

Met a guy who uses Prius's for delivery vehicles (he's also a truck stop mechanic/business owner) and as I've only seen one other 2012 Camry Hybrid and her owner wasn't mechanically inclined I decided to do an unauthorized test. I apologize for not posting more often (two other sites have annoying glitches) while this one is well designed....I'll be back more often. BUT the subject today is my 97 mile (vehicle has 3500 miles on it now) hypermilng test yesterday from 4200' to Trona in California and back. As maybe I mentioned before Toyota claims they won't have the front alignment specs until July and my partner doesn't want me changing anything so I merely raised the tire pressure in all 4 tires to 50 PSI for yesterdays test. Cross winds weren't present so there was no 'dancing front end'. Started out at 90+ degs F and read 102 deg, 108 deg (Trona) 104 deg half way back, and 97 deg at the end. Used air conditioning 98% of the time and ran a Dometic freezer in the trunk off the auxiliary battery set on 0 deg F. Final mileage was 52.4 mpg and the trip took 50% longer than it would be normally driven complying with other traffic. Normal mileage with 30 psi front and 40 psi back is around 38 to 42 mpg. I'll keep the tires at 50 psi and report back in a thousand miles or so. More road noise is heard at the higher tire pressure so I'll probably buy a light weight -high quality compressor and change tire pressure often. PS...the liter of Mountain Dew in the freezer (set on 0 deg F) only went down to 35 deg F as it was so warm in the trunk space with the dark grey exterior paint color. To use this freezer more efficiently it must be up front (where it will also reach the front 12V socket).
  #13   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 06-17-2012, 10:30 AM

Re: Observations -- Toyota Camry Hybrid

The most significant thing I forgot to mention......starting up from a full stop in EV mode with 50 psi in the tires is now doable without tripping the motor to run. This is the biggest fuel saver compared to normal and lower pressures. Happy hypermiling!
  #14   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 06-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Wagon nut. Approach with caution.

Vehicles: 2009 Volvo V70

Don't go overboard with the EV starts. Once you hit ~15mph you should be letting the ICE pull the load.
  #15   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 06-17-2012, 06:51 PM

15mph with the ICE?

How about explaining that after 15mph go with the gas engine/ICE? I figure for economy/hypermiling anytime the engine isn't running is the best. So, I'm developing skills that control the ICE's operation, and the only reason to have the engine running is to charge the battery. This causes a lot of actions/decisions by me concerning traffic, elevation change, wind, and is affected by my guess of what is ahead. I have still not learned or seen how to do this best (sweet spots, technical performance peaks, etc). But 52.4 mpg is amazing to me in a 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid LE. I can't believe that my wallet is not deflating when I tank up once a month (I don't drive it often).
  #16   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 06-17-2012, 07:11 PM

For people considering hybrid hypermiling the the most important factor is the number of lanes available in the direction you are going and secondly the inconvenience you impose on your fellow drivers. Out here on the desert 2 lane roads (one lane each way) cause high speed people to get 'jangley/pissed' if you force them to slow down. On the freeway during rush hour the only time you will hypermile is when your stuck at 0-10 mph in a jam. Back up to whatever the traffic forces you to do won't be hypermiling. And add 50% to your driving time for going slow (more economical) for hypermiling. My wife kicks the ecodrive off and never EV's so she drives it just like her 1998 Camry and gets 40 mpg ---more or less.
  #17   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 06-17-2012, 08:20 PM

Vehicles: 2010 Toyota Prius II, 2013 Chevrolet Volt
Re: 15mph with the ICE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbjrb View Post
How about explaining that after 15mph go with the gas engine/ICE? I figure for economy/hypermiling anytime the engine isn't running is the best. So, I'm developing skills that control the ICE's operation, and the only reason to have the engine running is to charge the battery. This causes a lot of actions/decisions by me concerning traffic, elevation change, wind, and is affected by my guess of what is ahead. I have still not learned or seen how to do this best (sweet spots, technical performance peaks, etc). But 52.4 mpg is amazing to me in a 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid LE. I can't believe that my wallet is not deflating when I tank up once a month (I don't drive it often).
Hybrid 101: all charge in the battery is ultimately obtained from the running the engine so it usually the case under load that EV is less efficient than using the engine. To use EV you go engine-power split-inverter-battery-inverter-power-split-wheels instead engine-power split-wheels and there's energy loss in the extra electrical steps.

In particular, engines are inefficient at low speed and under very low load; electric motors are efficient at low speed and batteries are efficient at low load so if you can accelerate in pure EV at low speed it's good. However, there comes a point at which use of the engine is more efficient.

I don't know if the 15mph advice is correct for a Camry Hybrid but it's correct for a Gen 2 Prius. A Gen 3 Prius can, I believe, be more efficient in light EV to 17mph. With the Camry's larger, less efficient engine, it may be that slow acceleration in EV is better to higher speeds. Perhaps Wayne can answer that question.

Last edited by ItsNotAboutTheMoney : 06-17-2012 at 08:25 PM.
  #18   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 06-17-2012, 09:29 PM

Vehicles: 2008 HCH-II, 2013 CRZ EX with Navi

In the HCH we don't get the luxury of an off-the-start EV mode, as the ICE kicks in from autostop once the brake is released, but I take advantage of the EV torque along with the ICE for at least the first 15mph and sometimes up to 30mph if I'm in traffic and some bugger is on my tail - after that I "cancel" the assist and run on ICE only for the rest of my acceleration/cruise.

" Cancelling" it basically means lifting off the throttle a bit, rpm drops and the CVT moves up a bit, then re-apply throttle and car stays at same speed, no EV assist, lower engine load and higher mpg. If you're careful you can re-accelerate at the new CVT ratio without re-engaging the assist, but it's slow and that's why I don't do it in busy traffic. Keeping out of the battery pack is one way I've improved my mpg significantly.
  #19   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 06-23-2012, 11:59 AM

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid starting from dead stop

The engine does not start when the 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid is in EV mode from a dead stop if light acceleration is used. Not sure what an autostop is.
  #20   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 06-23-2012, 10:31 PM

Vehicles: 2008 HCH-II, 2013 CRZ EX with Navi

Autostop is basically when the HCH cuts out the ICE at low speeds - it does have an EV mode of sorts but nothing like you get with the toyotas. Under certain conditions it won't autostop so you're forced to just turn off the car yourself (FAS - forced autostop) to save gas.