User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Conventional Automobile Owners Community » Mazda

Mazda Zoom Zoom - Discussion about Mazda and Mazda automobiles.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Anyone hypermiling an MX-5 (Miata)?

#11   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 12-21-2008, 10:40 AM
GPS ?, No thanks...

Vehicles: 2K6 Mazda Miata (MX-5), 2K7 Mazda5
Re: Anyone hypermiling an MX-5 (Miata)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Dunn
101744]I'm currently driving a 2000 MX-5 Miata LS ?)
2006 2.0 Liter MX5. While I'm not hypermiling it, I do have a scangauge II mounted in it for informational uses, and I do drive it year round )in New England, no less!(.
  #12   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-07-2011, 07:57 PM

Vehicles: 08 Mazda MX-5 (Miata) , 08 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD

08 MX-5 which I've averaged 26 mpg over a couple years tho half my miles are in town w/ traffic lights every couple blocks at least and includes some winter driving.
I use Mobil 1 0-30, and tire pressure @ 29psi which is about as high as comfort allows on 205 width tires on a 2600# car.
I have a SGII that does keep me aware and I did own a Prius before when my commute was longer so generally aware of Hypermiling techniques from prius.chat forums. I can get low 30's on longer trips pretty easily but the relatively low gearing of the MT models hurts plus it's too much fun to drive sportingly once in a while.
  #13   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-04-2011, 12:09 AM

There is really good SGII support for Miata's from SG's James DeLong over on miata.net .
Here's a link to an 19 page thread of codes that have been developed for NC model Miata's if there are any Miata owners here interested:
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread...304988&page=18
  #14   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 01-25-2012, 04:10 PM

Any Miata owners out there ?
  #15   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-17-2012, 08:32 AM

Vehicles: 2010 Nissan Cube 1.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Miata is a crappy car to be hypermiling as it defeats the whole purpose of the car which is spirited runs through the twisties at high rpm's.
I highly disagree. The Miata is a great car to hypermile with. You can get the best of both worlds with it. Sporty, agile fun as well as serious and decent mileage, all in the same tank!

When buzzing along with traffic (75-80mph) and doing a few spirited blasts around town, I still averaged 30mpg. 90% of my driving is on the highway, 50 miles each way on mostly flat ground which is typical of Florida.

Just by doing a few minor hypermiling techniques over the last five tanks, I'm now doing between 36-38mpg while also slowing my cruising speed down to 60mph. I don't do any P&G on the highway simply because there's too much traffic. Even my coast times aren't all that great, maybe 2-3 tenths of a mile, with one 1/2 mile coast.

Now the 3 mile trip I make in town four times a day, I can coast about half of that each way, but still with the engine on. So that makes 112 miles round trip every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpete2 View Post
Any Miata owners out there ?
I'm one! I have a '91 British Racing Green with the factory original hardtop. I've shaved roughly 135 lbs off of it so far (looking to shave another 30 lbs or so as well as at least 50 lbs off of myself), lowered by about an inch and a half, full exhaust, all synthetic fluids and a big-ish front lip (Garage Vary) to cut down on the underbody air flow.

#16   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-17-2012, 09:06 AM
Practicing true conservatism!

Vehicles: 2005 Kia Spectra EX 5spd, 2006 Honda Accord LX-SE VTEC 5spd, 2007 Kymco People S 250

Very nice Miata, Chops. Good numbers too!

Best Segment - 76.5 MPG / 2.8 mi
Best Tank - 748.6mi @ 45.1 MPG 11/11/12

New to the site? Start here! Welcome to CleanMPG Primer

Last edited by Right Lane Cruiser : 04-17-2012 at 01:30 PM.
  #17   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-17-2012, 11:04 PM

Thanks Brandon. I love this car. I had a 2002 for five years and didn't like it nowhere near as much as this '91.
  #18   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-20-2012, 11:52 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: Mazda, Honda, Ford

I would go buy a brand new one right now if I could drive one with the top up without busting my head and jamming my neck. Thus my MZ3. And if it was RWD and was a Speeder. There would be no other reason to look for another fun, mpg getting drivers car.

One does not have to drive a boring car to get, enjoy and like good mpg.

The new American way of life "I want my hand out, And I want it now!"
  #19   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-21-2012, 06:31 AM
Administrator

Vehicles: 99 Elantra, 06 Sedona, 05 Prius Pkg BC

I'm giving serious consideration into picking up a SPEED version of one of these, an 04-05. Too bad they're about 10-12k for one.
  #20   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-21-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyshack View Post
One does not have to drive a boring car to get, enjoy and like good mpg.
Exactly. Not to mention that in town, I can take the corners at intersections at near the speed limit, thus keeping up my momentum and saving fuel, AND enjoying the excellent handling of the car. Then again, this car is far from stock as far as the suspension is concerned which helps greatly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophbalance View Post
I'm giving serious consideration into picking up a SPEED version of one of these, an 04-05. Too bad they're about 10-12k for one.
The heck with the overpriced "Speed" versions. You can get a really nice NA, dump a couple grand into it with a nice turbo setup and do better than the stock NB MazdaSpeed. And as far as I'm concerned, this little 1.6L is better and more fun than the 1.8L!