User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Hybrid Owners Community » 2011 - 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

2011 - 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Everything and anything relating to the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Hypermiling the Sonata Hybrid

Tags: ,

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 10-03-2011, 02:40 PM

Vehicles: Prius C 2012, HSH 2011
Hypermiling the Sonata Hybrid

Thought I would start a thread for hypermiling the Sonata Hybrid. Wayne had some discussion in another thread but thought I would start a new one.
Sponsored Links
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-17-2012, 03:39 PM

Vehicles: 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid, 2001 Buick Regal, 1990 Ford Ranger
Re: Hypermiling the Sonata Hybrid

Mine seems to get to 20mph from a stop in EV, then switches to ICE. I have found that it is pretty easy to get it up to 40mph in EV if the battery is not too far below 50%.

Simply let it reach 20mph, when it switches to ICE let off the gas and let it go back to EV, then continue accelerating. Of course you need a relatively flat stretch of road for this.
  #3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-19-2012, 06:22 PM

Vehicles: 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid, 2006 Nissan Quest SE

Normally around our immediate area, with really bad stoplights, we average about 35mpg just being light on acceleration, and N-coasting down hills. But a few days ago, I managed to maintain about 50mpg by doing something different. I would accel on EV, engine would come on, let off the pedal to trigger EV again, push some more, etc. Basically a pulse and glide, only it was just a few seconds of pulse each time. The HSH seems to allow a pretty fast start on EV mode before it kicks on the ICE, so if you do this each time it goes into EV mode, you can accelerate pretty well that way it seems.

Unfortunately here most of the stoplights are at the bottoms of hills and they tend to be red no matter how hard you try, so there's not much chance to accelerate flat...
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 09-25-2012, 12:01 PM

Copied from jglopic member of Hyundai-forums

"Has anyone played around with the manual mode of the gear shifter in the HSH? I have started to do so a little, and I have reached an interesting discovery.

I do a good bit of my commute at 45 mph, and there are several areas around my house limited to 30 and 35 mph. I have noticed previously that even when cruising at steady speed in all these areas, the hybrid system barely charges. The other day, at 30 mph, I popped the gear shifter into manual, and it was holding 4th gear. I dropped it to 3rd, the econ indicator barely moved, and the battery started charging more rapidly, thereby engaging EV mode much more often than if the transmission were in D.

Today on my way to work, I was cruising at 45 mph. Going into manual mode, the transmission was in 6th gear. I dropped to 5th, and again the battery started charging much faster. When it went into EV mode, the battery also discharged faster than normal. I then let the battery recharge in 5th, then kicked the transmission to 6th when EV mode re-engaged. I found that I could go about as long in EV mode as it took to charge the battery between EV modes. That's right, I was in EV mode almost 50% of the time!

Normally on that stretch of my commute (4-5 miles), I get one decent stretch of EV mode while cruising at 45. I got three today."

I think he is on to a great hypermiling technique.
2012 Kia Soul

Wayne and Tom
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 09-25-2012, 02:20 PM
PZEV, there's nothing like it :)

Vehicles: Accord, Ranger, and anything else ;)

Hi Tom:

Maybe so with some thought into when you can/want to instill some more charging and not just for charging's sake?

Wayne
  #6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 10-11-2013, 08:16 AM

Vehicles: 2012 Hyundai Hybrid Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnrib View Post
Copied from jglopic member of Hyundai-forums

"Has anyone played around with the manual mode of the gear shifter in the HSH? I have started to do so a little, and I have reached an interesting discovery.

I do a good bit of my commute at 45 mph, and there are several areas around my house limited to 30 and 35 mph. I have noticed previously that even when cruising at steady speed in all these areas, the hybrid system barely charges. The other day, at 30 mph, I popped the gear shifter into manual, and it was holding 4th gear. I dropped it to 3rd, the econ indicator barely moved, and the battery started charging more rapidly, thereby engaging EV mode much more often than if the transmission were in D.

Today on my way to work, I was cruising at 45 mph. Going into manual mode, the transmission was in 6th gear. I dropped to 5th, and again the battery started charging much faster. When it went into EV mode, the battery also discharged faster than normal. I then let the battery recharge in 5th, then kicked the transmission to 6th when EV mode re-engaged. I found that I could go about as long in EV mode as it took to charge the battery between EV modes. That's right, I was in EV mode almost 50% of the time!

Normally on that stretch of my commute (4-5 miles), I get one decent stretch of EV mode while cruising at 45. I got three today."

I think he is on to a great hypermiling technique.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but wouldn't dropping down to fifth at 45 knock your mileage down during the pulse enough to negate the gains of the glide? When I tried this technique on the flat area for 12 miles here I agree that I was in EV more often, but my MPG overall were lower. Has anyone else tested this out anymore?
  #7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 10-11-2013, 01:25 PM

I never got around to trying that in my wife's Hyundai Sonata Hybrid (HSH) but I did try something a little different. Since the car takes off from a stop up to 20-25 mph in EV I take off fairly fast to get max momentum going then let off the pedal to shift gears and gently pulse to 30, then 40, then 50, then 60 mph instead of just holding the pedal down and letting the auto Trans do it. This way you can get in a higher gear earlier without manually shifting. I haven't measured this technique but it's best to get in a higher gear as soon as possible for best MPG's. I have tried DWL but found that I could do just as well with getting into CC ASAP and using it's controls for speed adjustments.

How to get over 35 mpg in the city

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/229-so...y-driving.html
2012 Kia Soul

Wayne and Tom
  #8   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 10-11-2013, 02:35 PM
PZEV, there's nothing like it :)

Vehicles: Accord, Ranger, and anything else ;)

Hi Tom:

Do not accelerate briskly under EV as current draw is huge. It costs a lot of fuel to make up for it. With the new SW taking out N FAS', a forced ICE-Off with the accelerator pedal and balance with minimal in or outflow current is a necessity.

I hope that helps?

Wayne
  #9   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 10-11-2013, 03:40 PM

Thanks Wayne
Can you actually get the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) off in N with a light touch of the accelerator?
This is the display that we need

I'm in my first month since rotator cuff surgery so it will be a while before I can drive again.
2012 Kia Soul

Wayne and Tom

Last edited by fishnrib : 10-11-2013 at 04:12 PM.
  #10   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 10-11-2013, 05:19 PM

Vehicles: 2012 Hyundai Hybrid Premium

Love the look of that picture. Makes me smile each time I see it in the car.