User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Conventional Automobile Owners Community » Toyota

Toyota Toyota Green Cars Today, Blue Skies Tomorrow - Discussions about Toyota and Toyota automobiles.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

New HS250h owner needs to get caught up on what you all have learned.

Tags: , , , ,

#11   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-01-2010, 09:09 PM

Vehicles: 2010 Lexus HS250h
Re: New HS250h owner needs to get caught up on what you all have learned.

Pat8635,
Congrats on your HS and welcome to the forum.

I've had my HS for about 5 months and can confirm what kgenaidy said. It takes a lot of time and patience to learn the idiosyncrasies of this hybrid system. I've learned a lot and am still learning and experiencing new things. I do pretty well in the 0-40 mph range but really struggle to get decent mpg in shm mode. I can't seem to consistenly obtain fuel cut-off in shm mode, sometimes it works, sometimes not. I'm sure it doesn't help that I do very little freeway driving. In fact, I took my first major freeway trip last week, 180 miles. Unfortunately it was raining half the time, 52 degrees and the wife was with me so no hypermile techniques were employed. I got only 44.6mpg on the FCD which is about 42.5 actual mpg. Speeds were 55-65mph.

My SGII gauges are RPM, GPH, FWT and Current Trip MPG (I set this up as a user programmable XGAUGE). Without going into too much detail, for me, the FWT is the most important thing to watch during warmup. There are 3 temperature "milestones" to keep an eye on as follows (these are per my SGII and may be slightly different for others):
1. 104 degrees-this is generally the temp that the ICE will autostop at when the car is not moving (e.g. when you're at a stop light)
2. 139 degrees-this is the temp when the ICE will autostop while travelling under 40mph, once you remove your foot from the gas pedal
3. 157 degrees-this is the temp when you can transition from S3 to S4. When the ICE reaches 157 deg, I always pull over and stop and wait the 10 seconds for the ICE to shutdown, signifying that it is now in S4

Regarding tire pressure, I started at 40psi and have gradually worked it up to max psi (51)plus a bit more.

ECO Mode: As I mentioned, I do very little freeway driving and so I am ALWAYS in ECO Mode.
Tank: 71.1 mpg

#12   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-10-2010, 09:53 AM

Vehicles: Lexus HS250h

Around town I got 58.8 mpg for the first 88 miles of a tank. Too bad I can't mimic those conditions all the time. (wouldn't get to sleep as the car would need to stay warm, but hey) I have also worked TP up to 46psi and will bump it more before I drive to Florida in a few days.

On a different note. Have any of you got the top bar on the SOC indicator to illuminate. In over 4k miles on my car and over 700 on demo car, I have yet to see that top bar light up? Thoughts?
  #13   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Penguin of Notagascar

Vehicles: '12 LEAF SL, '02 Insight 5spd MT

Toyota and Lexus hybrids try very hard to keep the battery within a very controlled band of charge level. You'll only see the the top bar lit after some long sessions of regen. The car will tend to bleed off extra charge as soon as it can to get back down to its preferred range.

<-- She got to drive an EV before I did!!

I'm a slow driver with a FASed car!

New? Start here!
  #14   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-20-2011, 05:35 PM

6 months in and I am glad that warmer weather is back. I almost hate when people get in the car and start messing with their tempurature buttons. Since I sell real estate, I guess i have to keep the car comfortable for them. Oh well. I have been staying right at 40 mpg...Last tank was 42 guessing because it is warmer. Yesterday however, i stopped and was sending a contact to my car from my phone and I noticed that the ICE didn't stop. I tried all sorts of tricks and nothing!

Ideas?
  #15   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: Bike Friday Tikit; 10 Prius III/Nav; 13 Nissan Leaf SV/QC

Was the car warmed up?

Was climate control on? If so, what settings?

Was HV SoC low? If you run it down, it will run the ICE to get back in its comfort zone.

Start your journey to better fuel economy here:
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19408
  #16   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-21-2011, 09:48 AM

Water temp was 191 car was in eco mode ac and heat both off and soc went up to every bar but top bar lit (and in 10K miles I have never seen the top soc bar lit) It took forever for my take to fill at last fill up and my mpg are down to the 37/38 range...wonder if it could just be crappy gas?
  #17   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-21-2011, 10:30 AM
Veteran

Vehicles: Bike Friday Tikit; 10 Prius III/Nav; 13 Nissan Leaf SV/QC

On the rare account I have read of Prius keeping the engine running, the suspected cause was a bad thermostat circulating when it shouldn't, keeping the water temp from rising to normal, but yours was already at normal. Interesting.

Here is the priuschat thread on a recent case:
http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-p...-my-prius.html

Here is a quote:
After closely examining all of the evidence I can muster, the best theory I can come up with is that (based on this document outlining the 5 "stages" the prius operates in http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/five-stages.txt ) my Prius is stuck 80% of the time in stage 3a - it rarely makes it to stages 3b and stage 4 therefore the engine appears to run continuously.

Start your journey to better fuel economy here:
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19408
  #18   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-06-2011, 08:13 PM

I purchased our new HS in Dec. 2010 and now have 3400 miles logged. It is actually for my wife's use daily and errands or trips when we are together.

What I have noticed is the multiple stops in town are really costly as to the good mileage this vehicle can obtain. The cold weather made it ever harder. That warm up time each time after a stop at a store is costly regarding mileage.

The other issue is I live in a 55+ community which I enjoy with the lodge and other facilities as well as friends and family close by. So in the cold weather my wife drives less than 1/2 mile to the lodge which occurs on the mode where the engine is warming up. The EV is of course unavailable. It would be really nice to be able to just use EV for these very short and slow speed distances. Lexus I can actually do this in a responsible way but you won't let me. Any approved fixes for this situation? Maybe something from the Prius experience and resources.

Well NHL playoff hockey awaits so I'm off to see if the Sharks will shut the Red Wings. The Sharks are up 3-0. Hockey is so intense any time. I love it.
  #19   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-30-2011, 01:40 PM

I had my 15,000 check and have done some playing. I left the car with a full tank of gas and with all the idle time when the car is being serviced and cleaned my mpg was at 31 when I got it back and I had left it over at 40mpg only 15 miles into the tank. I was going to fill up and reset, but as gas prices have been coming down so I waited and decided to "play" with some of the other features of the car.

I am now at 37MPG which is shocking because...

I have used the power mode for over half the tank and unfortunately, really like the way the car drives. You will notice your climate control acts differently than in ECO Mode. The early reviews of the car didn't like the transmission. The only time it has bothered me was in power mode driving it more like a sports car than a hybrid.

SOC stays higher, but I have yet to get that elusive top bar to light up...hummm...

I have also used the cruise more and when I compare my touch to the cruise, it isn't pretty. The cruise is better in ECO mode than power or normal.

So I have learned in 7 months and 15,000 miles....

1. Inflate your tires to at least 45psi, my dealer agrees and will fill them to that level if customer requests.

2. You don't have to do all the hypermiling techniques but I do pay attention to the following.

A. Get a scangauge and make sure that after water temp is over 157 that the ICE is cutting off properly and if not, I find a place to stop for 10 seconds to get it to flip over to that final stage. I also like the exact MPG and the RPM readouts.

B. In San Antonio this only really matters a few months of the year because my ICE can be warmed up in less than 3 miles most of the year, but if you can make your first trip the longest so that your fully warm up the ICE it helps the rest of your trips.

C. Choose routes that avoid traffic and let you drive more efficiently. I have a two mile stretch that includes a slight hill and then a gradual down hill and flat. My goal is to do that w/o the ICE ever starting up both ways. My blood pressure seems lower too....

D. The orange lines showing the ICE engaged are not 100%...if you don't have a scangauge, trust your other senses.

E. Especially below 40 and over 55 (don't ask my why not in the middle) if you are driving at a steady speed, let off the gas a bit and slowly add it back. You can add as much as 10MPG by doing that...and I think is one of the reasons that the pulse and glide works so well for hybrids. It is more getting the ICE and EM to readjust to your current condition and not being prepared for an acceleration. MY GUESS ONLY from my experience.

I usually get an average of 40 mpg. My car shows consistently over 40, but the SGII and my math come in a bit lower. Some tanks I get 42+ others 39...just depends on the gas I get sometimes too. So far Costco is the best! Can't believe with all my playing I have this tank up to 37 and it will not go higher as I am 50 miles past the orange low gas light coming on, so I will be filling up today.

Any other easy tricks that people have learned?
  #20   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-30-2011, 05:25 PM

Vehicles: 2010 Toyota Prius II, 2013 Chevrolet Volt

Quote:
SOC stays higher, but I have yet to get that elusive top bar to light up...hummm...
It makes sense: extra charge for extra leadfoot assist.

However, it will still keep the battery from the top bar for longevity.