User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Clean MPG Topics » Fuel Economy

Fuel Economy Discuss how to achieve better fuel economy.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Shell's nitrogen enriched gas vs Chevron Techron??

#21   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Beat the System

Vehicles: 2009 Fit, 2004 Odyssey, 96 Civic retired
Re: Shell's nitrogen enriched gas vs Chevron Techron??

I'm sticking with my Texaco gas. It gives me the best mileage. Not because of what's in it, but what's NOT in it - ethanol! That gives me 4-5% better mileage, depending on how you calculate from the data.

Any additive Shell puts in would have to overcome that, plus another 2% for their higher prices. I'm highly skeptical it'll achieve that level of improvement.
  #22   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Right Lane Dweller

Vehicles: '05 Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
I'm sticking with my Texaco gas. It gives me the best mileage. Not because of what's in it, but what's NOT in it - ethanol! That gives me 4-5% better mileage, depending on how you calculate from the data.

Any additive Shell puts in would have to overcome that, plus another 2% for their higher prices. I'm highly skeptical it'll achieve that level of improvement.
Is there a thread that lists the non-ethanol stations by state?

I am trying to find a non-ethanol station in the Detroit Metro area.

Unfortunately, almost every station I have gone to does not sticker the pump. The few that do, specify 10% ethanol. When I go into the station and ask, I have learned that I have to ask them to show me the paperwork because the people running the station do not know. Unfortunately, every verbal claim of no-ethanol has not been supported by their paperwork

#23   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-07-2011, 09:27 PM

All I know is, Nissan dealer said I needed a $300 cleaning of intake system for sticky accelerator coming off idle. Started putting Shell premium with nitrogen in my 2000 Frontier 4x4, 6 cylinder. (It will run on 89 E-10 gets better mileage with 91 premium and comes close in cost/mpg. Owner's manual recommends premium.) Sticky accelerator off idle went away. I will continue to run a tank of Shell premium with nitrogen when prices allow. However, am concerned because not all Shell stations in Nebraska advertise the nitrogen-enriched fuel. Wonder if it's going away?
  #24   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-16-2011, 03:39 PM

Vehicles: 1996 Chrysler Sebring Convertible 2.5L V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffhanson1 View Post
NOTE YOU HAVE TO GET PREMIUM GRADE TO GET HIGHER AMOUNTS OF NITROGEN CLEANER. That info is on Shell's own website. Chevron has the same level of cleaner in ALL grades.
That can't be true, for by law all grades of gasoline must have the same amount of detergent in them.
  #25   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-16-2011, 03:43 PM

Vehicles: 1996 Chrysler Sebring Convertible 2.5L V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervousmini View Post
For straight into the tank stuff, I think the best stuff I've ever seen was a product called BG 44k - tough to find and expensive but seems to really do a good job.
From my searching on the web, it seems that that stuff is the best around. My automotive teacher (who has been working in the industry for over 40 years) spoke highly of the stuff. It's not too expensive, about $20 a can and it lasts a long time. Supposed to use it about every 30,000 miles, really powerful cleaner.
  #26   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-17-2011, 08:55 AM
Veteran

If your car needs premium, mix a bit of E85 with regular gasoline.. you will get a big octane boost at low cost.. start at 10%
  #27   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-17-2011, 09:03 AM
Veteran

I suspect some of the struggling gas stations are not changing the additive cartridges inside the pumps in a prompt fashion. At least in S Florida, all the gasoline brands come out of the same pipe at Port Canaveral.. I only use Chevron brand, at corporate owned stations.
  #28   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-17-2011, 09:11 AM
Veteran

Best way to use the stuff is the hot soak method (at least with FI engines), its best not to use it before a long trip but during everyday driving.. the fuel remaining in the hot injector will soak the residue and soften it while the engine rests and cools down.
  #29   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-17-2011, 11:24 AM

Vehicles: 2014 Ford Focus hatch
Question Re: Shell's nitrogen enriched gas vs Chevron Techron??

Recently someone (not here) said a couple gallons of additives were added to each truck tanker (they made no mention of how it gets blended) first iv'e heard of additive cartridges (not that means much) do they swap out the additive cartridges at the same time the fuel filter (in the pump) is changed ?