View Single Post
  #7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Veteran

Vehicles: '05 FEH FWD and '09 FEH FWD
Re: Hypermiling the Ford Escape Hybrid ...

Hi Billy & Cindy

It was nice to have met you two, letting you both drive the FEH was a real pleasure. You were the best Sebring guide anyone could ask for. It was a great experience for me, and I will never forget it. Hopefully timing will be on our side again, and the four of you can stay with Rhonda and I here in Jupiter for the race next time.

Wayne and others may want here about this 32.8 mile round trip I took this morning to bring up my tank average from last week. This was on my best beach roads for driving with a 10mph headwind from the north, but I got the same tailwind coming back.

Here it is:

32.8 miles total from a warm start

63.0mpg average with battery SoC the same at the end of the RT.

.5 gallons used

Max RPM 2170

Max speed, 35mph

Average speed, 22mph

Hours, 1.4

Coolant max temp, 181F

At this speed, I use one fake shift in L while accelerating to 35mph at 1,800 RPMs. Gliding was not a problem down to ~25mph in N, but I lost 5mph going EV in N. Speed limit was 30mph along a 9.2 mile stretch along Jupiter Island that I went 4 times back and forth. A higher P&G speed from 43mph will need to be done on roads with higher limits in the near future.

I think this is the number that needs to be beat with a FWD FEH. Not bad for a Ford SUV.

GaryG