CleanMPG Forums

CleanMPG Forums (http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/index.php)
-   In the News (http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   MAZDA2 declared 2008 World Car of the Year (http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9440)

xcel 03-20-2008 12:53 PM

MAZDA2 declared 2008 World Car of the Year

Awarded the world’s best automobile here in the US yet it is not available :(

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2008_WCOTY_-_MAZDA2_Demio.jpg
Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - Mar. 20, 2008

New York, NY – The Mazda2 was declared the 2008 “World Car of the Year” at a press conference hosted by the Midway Group, Mobil 1 and the New York International Auto Show.

Launched in October 2007 as Mazda’s first new-generation vehicle to be evolved to a new level, the all-new Mazda2 was an immediate hit with European customers, finding more than 18,000 owners through January 2008. In December last year, the Mazda2 five-door hatchback was awarded five stars for adult occupant protection in Euro-NCAP crash testing. It won a host of automotive awards as well, including Car of the Year in Austria, Belgium, Croatia and Denmark.

The Mazda2 is about to become even more popular with its latest recognition as the “World Car of the Year” selected by automobile journalists the world over. The all new three-door hatch has all the award-winning attributes of the five-door hatch, and is not only sportier but even more affordable.

The Mazda2 was chosen from an initial entry list of thirty-nine (39) entries nominated by forty-seven (47) World Car jurors from twenty-four (24) countries throughout the world. Each juror is appointed by the World Car Steering Committee on the basis of his or her expertise, experience, credibility, and influence. Each juror typically drives and evaluates new vehicles on a regular basis as part of their professional work.

The objective was to ensure that the World Car of the Year would be the product of a fair and thorough assessment process that considered the needs and wants of consumers the world over. The process began with individual jurors evaluating and rating the candidates using a variety of standardized parameters – everything from styling and quality, to performance and safety. The jurors then voted in January 2008 to establish a top ten shortlist. The World Car of the Year was chosen from those finalists as tabulated by the international accounting firm KPMG.

The top three contenders for 2008 World Car of the Year title were, in alphabetical order, the Ford Mondeo, the Mazda2 Demio and the Mercedes-Benz C-Class.

Maxx 03-20-2008 01:59 PM

Re: MAZDA2 declared 2008 World Car of the Year.

How is it a world car if it isn't sold in this part of the world?

???

PaleMelanesian 03-20-2008 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xcel (Post 78927)
Awarded the world’s best automobile here in the US yet it is not available :([/url]

New York, NY – The Mazda2 was declared the 2008 “World Car of the Year” at a press conference hosted by the Midway Group, Mobil 1 and the New York International Auto Show.

As you said, the conference was even in New York!

noflash 03-20-2008 02:20 PM

I want to like Mazdas, I do. It'll have to wait until they take side-impacts seriously. Are SAB standard in the 2, yet?

xcel 03-20-2008 02:21 PM

Hi Maxx:

___The same way the F150, Silverado or Dodge Ram wins truck of the year when they are not offered anyplace else but on the NA continent :(

___With the Europeans and Asian’s taking an ever bigger share of the world wide market, a world car like the Mazda2 sounds like the right choice as World Car of the Year to me too irregardless what the Big2.5 (Ford decides what Mazda releases in this country) will or will not allow.

___NoFlash, side and side curtains are standard in both Japan and Europe IIRC. Side impact is top notch mostly due to that safety feature on the 2.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

Robert Lastick 03-20-2008 02:31 PM

"Awarded the world’s best automobile here in the US yet it is not available".

So we sit back in our plush, status filled, gas guzzling Silverado commuter vehicles and, as we have for years upon years upon years, we continue to let the "big 3 has beens" tell us what is right and best for us and for our country, while, all the while, they drive us all straight to ruin.

Lemmings. We really all are lemmings. It is just so hard for me to respect our countries complacent denial.

Bob.

c0da 03-20-2008 05:18 PM

It's supposed to be coming as the Ford Fiesta, isn't it? Honestly, if they ever bring it here, it should stay a Mazda2!

xcel 03-20-2008 06:04 PM

Hi C0da:

___2010 is when the Fiesta is supposed to arrive here. This fall in Europe with all those wonderful small super diesels and SI-ICE’s. Here, who knows? Probably a 2.5L fire breather that gets 32 mpg highway :rolleyes:

___Just kidding about the last part ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

.iceman 03-20-2008 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c0da (Post 79022)
It's supposed to be coming as the Ford Fiesta, isn't it? Honestly, if they ever bring it here, it should stay a Mazda2!

Too late - when driving through Dearborn some time last year, I saw them test drive a Fiesta...

cuchulain 03-20-2008 07:15 PM

My wife owns the previous 1.3L gasoline AT Mazda 2 (Demio in Japan), (special edition in pink.....)
Anyway between cars, I drove it for about a month on my mountain commute route and it returned a respectable 40mpg with some NICE on, regular gasoline. In the same season and on the same route the NHW10 Prius gave about 56mpg. Does a lot better on climbing the 10% grades than the NHW10 and more than good enough for Japanese highways.

Good Luck
Andrew