CleanMPG Forums

CleanMPG Forums (http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/index.php)
-   In the News (http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   2013 compact Jetta Hybrid is a no-compromises eco-friendly car (http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46039)

atlaw4u 12-20-2012 04:08 AM

2013 compact Jetta Hybrid is a no-compromises eco-friendly car

VW takes a different approach with its hybrid

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2013_VW_Jetta_Hybrid1.jpg
Doug Guthrie - DETROITNEWS - December 20, 2012

Volkswagen, which for 17 years has offered wary U.S. car buyers a European-prescribed diesel answer to fuel consumption gluttony, suddenly has a gasoline-electric hybrid that is unlike any other.

Proving we aren't even close to standardization in the world of green technology, the 2013 compact Jetta Hybrid is based on the only turbocharged gasoline engine linked with an electric motor and a regular automatic transmission. Other hybrids use a naturally aspirated engine combined with electric motor and continuously variable transmission (CVT). That's what is in Toyota's Prius and Ford's C-Max and Fusion.

Volkswagen's new take on hybridization earns an EPA-estimated 42 mpg city and 48 mpg highway that bests its own clean-burning turbo injected diesel overall economy estimate by 11 mpg. The peak output of Jetta's combined hybrid engine and motor even produces 30 more horsepower than the diesel... [Read More]

herm 12-20-2012 10:22 AM

Re: 2013 compact Jetta Hybrid is a no-compromises eco-friendly car

TDI owners will hate this car

priusCpilot 12-20-2012 10:57 AM

The Diesels show about 38mpg on Fuelly. Lets see what these do after some time?

WriConsult 12-20-2012 12:07 PM

I think you're right herm. Of course that's not who VW is trying to attract ... they want to get people who'd like better fuel economy, but don't want the image and/or driving dynamics of the Prius, and aren't excited about the Fords either because they're not the rah-rah "Buy American" types or maybe some other reason.

VWs, and not just the TDIs, are pretty popular around here. I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing Jetta hybrids on the street around here.

With a price starting at least $4k higher than the Prius (and the real world difference even greater, since Priuses are heavily discounted and these won't be), I already see one compromise ...

And will it really seem like there are no other compromises if when it's got 100k on the clock, its hideously complex systems start needing work and its hideously expensive Bosch parts start needing replacement? Time will tell.

This does raise the bar for the competition though. Toyota needs to go with a larger-capacity Li pack in the Gen4 Prius so it can do EV mode in a wider variety of conditions, and less Toyota-like handling would help too. If Honda is even going to bother staying in the NA hybrid market they've got to finally either go dual-clutch IMA, or switch to a HSD-like system.

Personally, I hope Honda chooses the former path: I think IMA could be capable of far more than it's been doing, if only the MG could disconnect from the ICE more. I do rather enjoy the diversity of architectures we're seeing in today's hybrid systems. The Jetta is a single-MG, dual-clutch arrangement, right?

xcel 12-20-2012 01:19 PM

Hi Dan:

Very good synopsis and yes the Jetta Hybrid is a single motor solution. When it comes to ride, handling, and road holding confidence at speed, the Jetta Hybrid is at the top of the hybrid food chain. Other than the exotic Porsche's anyway. As you pointed out, you sure do have to pay for it :(

Wayne

MikeMarsUK 12-22-2012 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xcel (Post 365229)
... When it comes to ride, handling, and road holding confidence at speed, the Jetta Hybrid is at the top of the hybrid food chain. Other than the exotic Porsche's anyway. As you pointed out, you sure do have to pay for it :( ...

And Porsche is owned by the VW/Audi/etc group in any case :-) So they have the advantage that they can share knowledge & engineering between the brands. However none of the VAG brands is particularly cheap, they range from the middle of the market (Seat, Skoda) to $1M supercars (Veyron).

Quote:

Originally Posted by herm (Post 365210)
TDI owners will hate this car

There is a key difference between the two solutions - the recent TDIs are no good for pure city driving (or short-distance driving) because the DPFs clog up & are eye-wateringly expensive to fix, whereas EV & hybrid are perfect for this. This has been a weakness in the VAG high-MPG solutions for a while, so it is good that they are also exploring petrol, hybrid & EV as well as diesel. That's why my TDI is pre-DPF, and I intend to run it 'forever' (until some bugger writes it off).

bluejoey 12-26-2012 11:40 AM

This is looking interesting. Hopefully its mileage will be more true to form than Ford with its silly C-Max Fusion foibles.

xcel 12-26-2012 11:45 AM

Hi Bluejoey:

It is.

CleanMPG Previews the 2013 VW Jetta Hybrid

You are on a posting spree this morning as I can hardly keep up!

Wayne

bluejoey 12-26-2012 01:30 PM

^ Ha, sorry about that Wayne. I've been away for a couple of weeks and finally have time to go through and read a lot of threads. I'll have a look at that preview now :D

phoebeisis 12-26-2012 02:18 PM

Herm
Why would TDI owners hate it?
Quicker
Better FE
and the same VW "reliability" they have come to expect.
Heck they-TDI owners-should feel right at home with it!
My son is "sota" dating a young woman who has some sort of Jetta looking(not bug) VW
I warned him to make sure he has his cell phone charged if they go anywhere in that VW!
It sure ain't a Prius-reliability wise!