CleanMPG Forums

CleanMPG Forums (http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/index.php)
-   In the News (http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   With Gasoline Less Than $3.00 per In Many Areas, Fuel Efficiency Is Still a Big Deal (http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46027)

xcel 12-19-2012 08:58 PM

With Gasoline Less Than $3.00 per In Many Areas, Fuel Efficiency Is Still a Big Deal

More fuel efficient powertrains including turbo diesels, wide and tall ratio transmissions, high tech valve trains, lower friction from tires to pistons, and electrification leads the way.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2014_Mazda6_Profile.jpg
Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - Dec. 19, 2012

2014 Mazda6 with the 2.2L SKYACTIV-D Pricing TBA and Fuel Economy? How much you want to bet that this 182 HP and 294 lb-ft. of torque monster still pulls greater than 42 mpgUS highway from our own EPA?

The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) reports that North American consumers will be the big winners in 2013 as a result of strong growth in sales of electric and hybrid cars ... a wide range of available fuel-efficient midsize vehicles and pickups lower prices for a number of the vehicles with the highest MPG ratings ... and a greater emphasis on diesel-powered vehicles and affordable new tech. In addition, the auto industry will remain on track to meet higher federal fuel efficiency standards.

Luke Tonachel , Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) Senior Vehicles Analyst:
Quote:

"2013 is shaping up as another record year on several fronts for highly fuel efficient vehicles and will continue to do so in 2013. Consumers are the major beneficiaries, with more choices than ever before."
Key trends for 2013 include the following:

BEV sales will double in the coming year and hybrid sales are set to jump by a 25%. The 2013 and 2014 Honda Accord will soon be offered as both an HEV and PHEV respectively.

The 2013 VW Jetta Hybrid is just now reaching the consumer albeit at a higher price than expected.

VWs brand new Jetta Hybrid pulls 60 mpgUS or better without breaking a sweat!

The 2013 Fusion hybrid is currently on sale with the PHEV Fusion Energi scheduled for early next year.

The 13 Fusion Energi PHEV-21 is destined to be one of the best looking PHEVs soon available.

The 2013/2014 Nissan Altima will also reappear as a hybrid next year and you know we already really like the base Altima with its 38 mpgUS highway rating!

The 2013 Nissan Altima is currently being sold with heavy incentives and is the most fuel efficient non-hybrid/non-diesel midsize currently available.

In addition, LEAF sales should increase with lower prices as TN production begins in earnest.

A lone LEAF plugged into a Level2 charging station in downtown LA.

According to the NRDC, at least six new HEVs and eight PHEVs and BEVs will appear in 2013. While many of these initially will be offered in modest volumes, the sales of PHEV/BEVs will more than double with hybrid vehicle sales expected to rise by at least 25 percent. Those are big numbers and well see soon enough.

All-new fuel efficient midsize sedans, crossovers and pickups will add to the trend. The all-new Ram 1500 we drove earlier in the week proved that out!

2013 RAM 1500 HFE: 35 + mpgUS near its highway maximums, 45 + mpgUS near its in town maximums and 25 mpgUS is as easy as simply driving it.

And while Chevrolet and GMC announced new drivetrains using the same displacements for their 2014s, the promise of much higher fuel efficiency has been announced.

Rising demand and increased production means lower prices for consumers as VOLT and LEAF lease deals are in many cases a steal, a lot of $s is currently being placed on the hood of the RAV4 EV and huge discounts are available on the mid-size Altima. Even a refined Stop/Start system is available on the higher end 2013 Ford Fusions as a $295 option.

Diesel

Diesel engines are coming to the Chevy Cruze (probably the 2.0L) and 2014 Mazda6 (2.2L SKYACTIV-D) this spring and summer while Volkswagen continues to pound out hit after hit while equipping their entire model lineup with the world record breaking 2.0L TDI.

2014 Mazda6 with the 2.2L SKYACTIV-D is going to be fast, agile and unbelievably fuel efficient.

The industry is likely to remain on track to meet higher federal 2016 fuel economy standards regardless of the price at the pump. In 2011 and 2012, the average new vehicle in the US saw its fuel economy rise by 0.5 and 1 mpgUS respectively. The federal standards require somewhat less than 1 mile per gallon improvement for Model Year 2013 and 2014 and the manufacturers are tacking these thresholds head on and exceeding them quite easily by all appearances.

There is not a car or truck listed above that should not be a consideration for your hard earned $s this coming year and this is only just the beginning!

priusCpilot 12-20-2012 02:41 AM

Re: With Gasoline Less Than $3.00 per In Many Areas, Fuel Efficiency Is Still a Big D

Wow power went up on the Mazda 6 Sky-D?

I wounder if the 6 will beat a Fusion Hyrbid on the HWY? It just may?

xcel 12-20-2012 02:59 AM

Re: With Gasoline Less Than $3.00 per In Many Areas, Fuel Efficiency Is Still a Big D

Hi PriusCpilot:

Yes, we are getting the High Output (HO) variant here in the US and even if it does not have the EPA 47 mpgUS highway rating of the Fusion Hybrid, I can all but guarantee it will trounce the Fusion Hybrid out on the Super Slab. I mean highway ;)

I give the 2014 Mazda6 with the SKYACTIV-D more than even odds to best the 2013 Fusion Hybrid locally albeit with a lot of work as well!

I believe this is going to be one of those exciting offerings I hope to be able to drive again and again and again :)

Wayne

ItsNotAboutTheMoney 12-20-2012 06:55 AM

For 2013 I am eagerly awaiting the full details on:

1) The US 2013 Nissan Leaf: if it follows the Japanese spec I want to see what the reduced weight, new motor and battery and heat pump do to the range; with US manufacturing, increased range (especially in colder temperatures) and a lower base price they could see a good bump in sales.

2) Cadillac ELR: this could hint at improvements that will be in Volt 2.0; it will also add a PHEV option to the luxury market and add to the pressures on gas-guzzling Daimler.

3) 2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel: while I don't expect great FE ratings, this could be a key vehicle that gets more competition, growth and lower prices in the diesel market, especially from Chrysler/Fiat; VW will not be happy to see it but I will.

4) Tesla Model S production and sales: they're trying to crank out as many as they can before year end and I'll be interested to see the numbers; they'll also have the 60kWh and 40kWh models coming and hopefully they can hit production targets, start eating away at the waiting list and then we'll see if the long-term demand is there and they can develop their Gen 3.

radtech 12-20-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xcel (Post 365185)
Hi PriusCpilot:

Yes, we are getting the High Output (HO) variant here in the US and even if it does not have the EPA 47 mpgUS highway rating of the Fusion Hybrid, I can all but guarantee it will trounce the Fusion Hybrid out on the Super Slab. I mean highway ;)

I give the 2014 Mazda6 with the SKYACTIV-D more than even odds to best the 2013 Fusion Hybrid locally albeit with a lot of work as well!

I believe this is going to be one of those exciting offerings I hope to be able to drive again and again and again :)

Wayne

Wayne,

How do you think the Mazda6 will do against the Passat TDI 6MT?:stickshift:

thunderstruck 12-21-2012 12:07 AM

I just hope Mazda is taking note of the problems VW is having with the CR HPFP? They need to test it on real world fuel and not carefully controlled fuel that is super quality? And I hope they are aware a lot of states mandate/encourage bio fuel, so they better take into account things like the B11 found at most stations here in IL?

xcel 12-22-2012 04:47 AM

Hi Colin:

I would not sell the 2014 Chevrolet Cruze turbo diesel short just yet. With the 1.4L Turbo and tall 6-speed stick in Cruze ECO providing an EPA 33 mpgUS combined, I would expect the 2.0L turbo diesel to supply as much as 38 mpgUS combined. That is combined. Highway may reach into the mid to upper 40's as well!

Radtech, if we were going to receive the low output 148 HP and 280 lb-ft of torque 2.2L SKYACTIV-D, the 2014 Mazda6’s EPA and real world would probably bury the 2012/2013 VW Passat with the 140 HP and 236 lb-ft. of torque 2.0L TDI with the 6-speed stick.

Because we will be receiving the High Output (HO) 173 HP and 310 lb-ft of torque 2.2L SKYACTIV-D, the Passat TDI "may" have the edge on the EPA but I would not want to bet against the Mazda magicians. In the real world, the Mazda6’s large torque advantage can accelerate a car much more quickly and more efficiently than the smaller displacement lower output VW but we shall see? The falloff form 60 mpgUS combined to 47 mpgUS combined on the NEDC between the LO and HO 2.2L engines is disturbing and we could possibly see the same here on our own EPA here. It will be interesting given the HO 2.2L turbo diesel is not yet certified and Mazda may have to detune it in a negative way to meet Tier II/Bin5?

Regarding the gasoline engine, the specs are really close to its best in class competitors.

With the preliminary EPA certifications on the 2.5L SKYACTIV-G released a few hours ago at 25/37 mpgUS and 26/38 mpgUS for the 6-speed stick and AT respectively, that is a touch better than Ford’s 1.6L EcoBoost (25/37 mpgUS and 24/37 mpgUS with the 6-speed stick/6-speed AT respectively including power and torque without the turbo. A cost advantage for sure.

The 2.5L is also only a 1 mpgUS less on the city rating than the Altima’s 27/38 mpgUS rating with the CVT although the SKYACTIV-G engine is more expensive due to its direct injection.

Thunderstruck, the SKYACTIV-D will surely be certified for B20 just like everything else as of late. The Australia issue with Bio dilution in the crankcase is still raising flags but an ECU flash for the post injection "may" have cured that problem? I have not looked it up in a while however.

Wayne

thunderstruck 12-22-2012 09:43 AM

VW is still B5. Mazda should come out with a non HO engine, I want maximum mileage not maximum acceleration-if that was my goal I'd buy a Corvette.

herm 12-22-2012 11:08 AM

The Skyactiv engines are very interesting.. I hope they work out to be reliable..

300ft-lbs of torque in a family sedan sounds like a bit too much.. maybe if you tow a trailer

EdwinTheMagnificent 12-23-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

300ft-lbs of torque in a family sedan sounds like a bit too much
Of course it's too much ! But in America, "too much" is almost enough.