CleanMPG Forums

CleanMPG Forums (http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/index.php)
-   In the News (http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   US sales trending towards cars that drink gas and saying No no no to fuel sippers (http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43737)

Chuck 05-03-2012 07:03 PM

US sales trending towards cars that drink gas and saying No no no to fuel sippers

The decline reversed several months of steady improvement in the mileage figures tracked by the university.

Paul A. Einsenstein - MSNBC - May 3, 2012

Yes, the video is relevant: It's about kicking the drinking problem before tragedy happens....some buyers so soon are relapsing to cars that drink....you would think by now they would "know, know, know" (apologizes to Amy Winehouse) --Ed.

With fuel prices now showing signs of hitting their peak are U.S. car buyers shifting focus from the high-mileage models that were quickly gaining ground earlier this year?

Thatís one possible conclusion based on data collected by the University of Michigan showing that the fuel economy of the average new vehicle purchased in the U.S. last month dipped slightly from March, when fuel prices seemed to be rising that just about every other day.... [Read More]

08EscapeHybrid 05-03-2012 08:14 PM

Re: US sales trending towards cars that drink gas and saying No no no to fuel sippers

I just bought gas today, and it was about $0.25/gal cheaper than what I paid about 2 weeks ago when I last topped the tank off.

all_about_the_glide 05-03-2012 08:47 PM

Re: US sales trending towards cars that drink gas and saying No no no to fuel sippers

Hope it's an anomaly, although I've felt a more frenzied pace to the traffic on my normal routes the past few weeks: hard acceleration then standing on the brakes, sudden lane changes, tailgating (more than my tail), mucho speeding.... I think more and more drivers have mid to high $3's gasoline (here in Minny) baked into their budget at the expense of the environment, economy (theirs and ours) and our freaking liberty (shhh...don't mention the effects on a s___ load of our fellow humans around the world). Talk about opportunity costs and negative externalities, all from highly subsidized behavior. :mad:

Right Lane Cruiser 05-03-2012 09:31 PM

AATG, I saw the same behavior in the run up of prices back in 2008. The first reaction seemed to be anger and more aggressive driving. When the price got high enough suddenly the trucks and SUVs began disappearing in favor of a lot of old, rusty, compact cars being driven a lot more sedately. I keep waiting for that second phase to hit again (it was much more pleasant to hypermile when nobody seemed to mind going slower and tailgating all but disappeared in favor of realistic following distances) but it hasn't yet made an appearance. Several of the anger phases have, though. :(

chilimac02 05-03-2012 10:57 PM

But after the 08 crisis soccer moms bought Tahoe hybrids so we're good.

herm 05-04-2012 04:47 AM

People that buy these cars can afford the gas bill.. otherwise they get one of the many 40mpg options on the market. Even $5 a gallon gas wont put a dent on pickup sales, just look at Canada.

We still have the option of light hybridization on the trucks, at low cost... if people are willing to pay for it.

ItsNotAboutTheMoney 05-04-2012 05:38 AM

Usual bad headline. Month-to-month doesn't tell you what the "trend" is. Month-to-month doesn't tell you who the buyers are. Month-to-month doesn't tell you what vehicles are being replaced. Sales also don't tell you how many miles are being driven.

all_about_the_glide 05-04-2012 05:46 AM

My guess is a lot of them have decided to afford the big gas bill at the expense of purchases that have higher local and national multipliers (dinner, movie, home improvement....). Again, we don't want to talk about military spending or increased road repair from high gross weight vehicles at speed ... almost forgot, most of all: F the environment.

@Sean- hope you're right, but I'm worried that it's "Go Time" because we didn't see $4 here in Minnesota.

herm 05-04-2012 07:03 PM

two interesting charts from Robert Rapier

http://www.consumerenergyreport.com/...-here-to-stay/

ALS 05-04-2012 08:32 PM

The reason for the drop in oil prices is due to what is going on and what is expected over the next six months to a year into the future with the E.U. and the U.S. economies.

Tomorrow if Hollande wins the French Presidency over Sarkozy the markets expect a major sell off on Monday in Europe. If he does win it will be interesting to see how much is talk and how much will be reality. Hollande last week was threatening to go after businesses in France if they start dumping people if he wins the election on Saturday.

You have Spain that just went over 25% unemployment, Portugal and Italy are literal basket cases and Greece is toast, it's just that no one wants to admit it. It was announced a few days ago that England just went into a double dip recession.

Right now one out of seven working age people in the U.S. is unemployed or under employed and looking for a full time job. The oil futures market is seeing this and they're seeing a stagnant economy or even another slow down and a lot of stay at home vacations this summer here in the U.S..

Right now our present work force is down to 1981 levels. We have a population of 310 million in 2012 and in 1981 we had a population of around 227 million. We are not in a recession, we are in the Great Depression II.

ILAveo 05-05-2012 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALS (Post 343378)

Right now our present work force is down to 1981 levels. We have a population of 310 million in 2012 and in 1981 we had a population of around 227 million. We are not in a recession, we are in the Great Depression II.

Not sure where you're getting this, but you probably should dig more before you draw conclusions.

Nonfarm employment April 2012=132,989,000--
1982=89,677,000

Source:http://www.bls.gov./ces/tables.

My understanding is that the fraction of the population participating in the labor force has declined a little in recent years. I would guess this is due to a combination of declining real wage rates at the bottom end of the labor market and an aging population.

50 mpg by 2012 05-05-2012 06:34 AM

I am wondering if the White House recently establishing stronger oversight of energy/fuel market pricing practices and potential market manipulation might be a factor in the roughly $0.30~$0.10/gallon drop in gasoline/diesel prices seen since mid April 2012.

EdwinTheMagnificent 05-05-2012 07:28 AM

Oh boy ! With the rapid decrease in fuel prices , now I can go out and get that big ol' F-250 I've been dreaming about !

Or not.

ItsNotAboutTheMoney 05-05-2012 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 50 mpg by 2012 (Post 343409)
I am wondering if the White House recently establishing stronger oversight of energy/fuel market pricing practices and potential market manipulation might be a factor in the roughly $0.30~$0.10/gallon drop in gasoline/diesel prices seen since mid April 2012.

I thought that was just asking for more money so they could have more people looking.

No, it's easing of global demand combined with easing global tension and OPEC getting worried and pumping oil.

ALS 05-05-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILAveo (Post 343404)
Not sure where you're getting this, but you probably should dig more before you draw conclusions.

Nonfarm employment April 2012=132,989,000--
1982=89,677,000

Source:http://www.bls.gov./ces/tables.

My understanding is that the fraction of the population participating in the labor force has declined a little in recent years. I would guess this is due to a combination of declining real wage rates at the bottom end of the labor market and an aging population.

Here you go they are talking about the percentage of the labor force that is working which is 63.4%. Zerohedge.com

Quote:

In April the number of people not in the labor force rose by a whopping 522,000 from 87,897,000 to 88,419,000. This is the highest on record. The flip side, and the reason why the unemployment dropped to 8.1% is that the labor force participation rate just dipped to a new 30 year low of 64.3%.

aca2983 05-05-2012 09:03 AM

That article was pretty thin on data.