CleanMPG Forums

CleanMPG Forums (http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/index.php)
-   In the News (http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   GMs Priming the Pump for Its Future Cruze With The 2.0L Turbo Diesel (http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43621)

xcel 04-26-2012 11:00 AM

GMs Priming the Pump for Its Future Cruze With The 2.0L Turbo Diesel

Boy is 2013 going to be fun!

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/chevrolet-cruze-2-0-vcdi-turbodiesel-europe_100341108_l.jpg
Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - April 26, 2012

The face of the 2013 Chevrolet Cruze ECO with the all-new real Eco called diesel inside.

As of this moment, GM is planning to provide US consumers with its much anticipated 2.0L turbo diesel placed within next year’s Chevrolet Cruze that will be due for a mid model cycle refresh.

Even though diesel car sales account for just 3 percent of U.S. sales today thanks to lack of offerings, a limited supply of those offerings and high prices (again due to limited supply), turbo diesel uptake is trending higher.

According to the Diesel Technology Forum, turbo diesel sales grew more than 27 percent last year, and may reach as high as 6 percent of sales by 2015.

While GM sold more than half a million turbo diesel equipped cars to the rest of the world including Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia and South America, both North America and Antarctica (no permanent residents actually live there) were provided with exactly “0” vehicles to purchase.

The North American introduction of the 2.0L turbo diesel engine in the Cruze will make Chevrolet the only domestic automaker offering an American manufactured turbo diesel equipped car next year.

Diesel engines and the fuel that drives them have long been known for their thermodynamic and energy content properties that provide vastly superior fuel economy over gasoline. What they have also been known for is a number of offerings from yesteryear that were anything but stellar. We will not get into since the past is best left in the past. Compact cars with diesel engines typically deliver more than 40 miles per gallon, ok performance, strong durability and high lease residual values (up to 30 percent higher than traditional multi-port-fuel injection (MPFI) gasoline-powered vehicles according to a recent Carnegie Mellon University study) which GM hopes the Cruze Diesel will provide once released.

The turbo diesel engine drawbacks have been almost entirely eliminated. With precision controlled common rail direct-injection fuel systems, advanced combustion control and affordable new emission controls technology, the diesel not only stands a chance but depending on how it is priced, could by itself move the scales to a more fuel efficient fleet while providing owners some more relief at the pump.

The next Cruze ECO may be fueled by something a little more efficient than the current gasoline only offering.

Turbo diesels in Europe account for 50% of the automobiles on the road and there should be no reason not to expect at least a 10% share here in the US? The across the board fuel savings alone are almost incomprehensible. Ahead we have at least 12-years of stable emissions regulations including future Tier III, therefore, diesel emissions controls are no longer a hurdle. Pricing is inline. Average diesel fuel costs are closing in on gasoline with US refinery upgrades coming online. Diesel automobile pricing is reasonable and TCO is a slam dunk. Is it not about time we see the gas only options next to a reasonably priced diesel option as well?

In addition, there are number of diesel surprises on the horizon. We know about the previously announced 2012 launches of the Mazda 6, VW Beetle, Audi Q5 and A8. We also have a little knowledge on 2013 launches of the Audi A6 and A7 and the much anticipated 2013 Cruze with the 2.0L Diesel. What has not yet been announced is there are an additional 15 diesel powered automobiles from a number of different manufacturers that have yet to be announced will be released in 2013. We can only speculate as to what we have headed our way.

Historically, diesel cars have sold strongly in Europe, where the highly taxed fuel is slightly less expensive than highly taxed gasoline. In the US, diesel fuel typically costs between 25 and 40 cents more than gasoline, but the difference has been trending downward the past couple of years. When factoring in diesel’s relatively higher fuel efficiency, he said the cost differential appears less significant.

What the Cruze diesel will provide is a beach head for the European super diesels we have been reading about on CleanMPG for years. And maybe the most fuel efficient highway cruiser in America will not be relegated to the excellent hybrids we have come to know oh so well but something instead called turbo diesel.

Anyone want to help topple the current diesel powered 48-State Fuel Economy World Record ;)

thunderstruck 04-26-2012 11:08 AM

Re: GMs Priming the Pump for Its Future Cruze With The 2.0L Turbo Diesel

As long as it doesn't have an HPFP that kills the entire fuel system, or an intercooler that feeds water into the intake like VW CR engines, I'll consider it.

herm 04-26-2012 11:49 AM

I was hoping GM was going to offer the 1.7 VCDI instead of the higher performance 2.0 VCDI, get the combined EPA rating into the low 40s,.. assuming this is the engine GM will use, here is a review:

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/2012...-review/262299

2012 Chevrolet Cruze 1.7 VCDi review
"The new model has a 1.7-litre diesel engine that averages 62.7mpg – 12.3mpg more than Cruze 2.0 VCDi models, while CO2 emissions are 30g/km lower at 117g/km."

What’s the 2012 Chevrolet Cruze 1.7 VCDi like to drive?
"The new engine is smooth and usefully responsive. Performance is good, with 0-60mph taking a respectable 9.4 seconds."

Here is a review of the Cruze 2.0 VCDi with 150hp and an automatic:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...i-2120327.html

seftonm 04-26-2012 12:00 PM

Do you know what they're doing for their emissions control? They had better give it SCR or I can't see the fuel economy being good. In Europe the 2.0 TDI is rated about 10% better than the Cruze 2.0 VCDi. If we see that same difference here then this will be rated lower on the EPA than the existing Cruze Eco.

ItsNotAboutTheMoney 04-26-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seftonm (Post 342535)
Do you know what they're doing for their emissions control? They had better give it SCR or I can't see the fuel economy being good. In Europe the 2.0 TDI is rated about 10% better than the Cruze 2.0 VCDi. If we see that same difference here then this will be rated lower on the EPA than the existing Cruze Eco.

I believe they're going for SCR. In fact I think they're all doing it now because Euro VI finally cut NOx to a level that forced the manufacturers' hands.

It could be worse, but they'll point to the performance. We know how touchy the small turbos are.

I can't wait to see the impact. VW must be cacking themselves. If others follow GM, VW will lose a good chunk of sales and their fleet CAFE will tank.

TheStepChild 04-26-2012 10:36 PM

Let them work the bugs out of the first year or so US models. Then I may have to check trade in value of the xB.

ALS 04-27-2012 11:27 AM

I'm glad someone here in the U.S. is thinking ahead of the curve when it comes to fuel economy options for the consumer. More variants of more models give the average car buyer a decent selection to pick from when it comes to getting the most efficient vehicle for their needs. As I said before a certain South Korean manufacture really is setting the bar high for fuel economy, forcing the American companies to play catch up.

Competition breeds excellence.

herm 04-27-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheStepChild (Post 342587)
Let them work the bugs out of the first year or so US models.

Optimistic fellow :)

These are engineered by VM Motori in Italy, the RA 420 SOHC, made by GM Daewoo and also used by Kia and Hyundai.. probably very reliable. VM Motori is owned by GM I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_VM_Motori_engines

RA 420 SOHC

2.0 L (1,991 cc/121.5 cu in) I4, with four valves-per-cylinder and common-rail direct fuel injection. Produced by GM Daewoo.

Applications:
Chevrolet Cruze, power: 110 kW (150 PS), torque: 320 Nm (240 lbft)
Chevrolet Captiva, power: 110 kW (150 PS), torque: 320 Nm (240 lbft)
Chevrolet Optra, power : 89 kW (121 PS), torque: 280 Nm (210 lbft)
Daewoo Lacetti, power: 89 kW (121 PS), torque: 280 Nm (210 lbft)
Daewoo Tosca, power: 110 kW (150 PS), torque: 320 Nm (240 lbft)
Daewoo Winstorm, power: 110 kW (150 PS), torque: 320 Nm (240 lbft), engine code: Z 20 S1.
Hyundai Elantra, power: 82 kW (111 PS); torque: 250 Nm (180 lbft)
Hyundai i30, power: 103 kW (140 PS); torque: 305 Nm (225 lbft)
Hyundai Sonata, power: 103 kW (140 PS) (pre-facelift models) / 110 kW (148 hp) (facelift models); torque: 305 Nm (225 lbft)
Hyundai Tucson, power 82 kW (111 PS), 103 kW (140 PS) or 110 kW (150 PS) depending on model year; torque: 250 Nm (180 lbft) or 305 Nm (225 lbft)
Hyundai SantaFe, power: 82 kW (111 PS); torque: 250 Nm (180 lbft)
Hyundai Trajet, power: 82 kW (111 PS); torque: 250 Nm (180 lbft)
Kia cee'd, power: 103 kW (140 PS); torque: 305 Nm (225 lbft)
Kia Optima, power: 103 kW (140 PS) (pre-facelift models) / 110 kW (150 PS) (facelift models); torque: 305 Nm (225 lbft)
Kia Carens, power: 103 kW (140 PS); torque: 305 Nm (225 lbft)
Kia Sportage, power 82 kW (111 PS), 103 kW (140 PS) or 110 kW (150 PS) depending on model year; torque: 250 Nm (180 lbft) or 305 Nm (225 lbft)
Opel Antara, power: 110 kW (150 PS), torque: 320 Nm (240 lbft)

herm 04-27-2012 01:40 PM

http://www.vmmotori.it/en/01/00/01/dettaglio.jsp?id=8

Developed in late 1990's, these engines became a huge success at a Euro 3 level, as a product assembled by Hyundai in Korea under a VM manufacturing license agreement. Further technology upgradeby VM increased the engine performance and reduced pollutant emission to meet Euro 5 level. The new manufacturing license to GM Korea made this engine by far the most popular diesel engine manufactured in Korea in the last ten years.
Great flexibility in both application and performance enables this engine family to power an extremely wide range of vehicles, from small Passenger cars up to mid-sized SUV's.
Overall, the production volume passed the 1 Million units target, well above all expectations, thanks to the structural robustness of the crankcase architecture, the cost-effective SOHC design and the superior NVH performance provided by balancing shaft in the oil sump. Cooled EGR system, coupled with intake throttle, high pressure injection system and Variable Geometry Turbocharger are all features that are built-in to meet the most stringent emission requirements.

EdwinTheMagnificent 04-28-2012 08:35 AM

This sweetens the future of diesel in North America. If Chevy offers one, then Honda HAS to offer one too, right ? A few short years later, diesel cars are as American as a Korean Chevy. Make mine a Civic or Fit with the smaller engine, please.