CleanMPG Forums

CleanMPG Forums (http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/index.php)
-   In the News (http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Just in time for Presidents Day: Here comes $4 gas in Los Angeles (http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42779)

ALS 02-18-2012 09:21 AM

Re: Just in time for Presidents Day: Here comes $4 gas in Los Angeles

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthling (Post 335041)
The futures markets have to anticipate what oil may cost in the future. The Iran situation threatens the closure of the Straits of Hormuz. Therefore the price must go up to factor in the risk from that.

Harry

Now you know why Iran pulls the crap they do, to keep the oil supply in the news.

Higher Prices, more revenue for the Government.

MaxxMPG 02-18-2012 11:11 AM

At the station up at the corner, it's 3.899 / 3.999 / 4.179 for 87/89/Prem. Diesel is 4.399.
So on Long Island, $4/gal has arrived for midgrade, and regular should hit the big Four Dot Oh Dot Oh within the next couple of weeks.

In a related story, the lease is up on my sister's Toyota in the next couple of weeks, and she has selected her next vehicle. And fuel economy played a major part in her decision. I won't say yet what it is, but it was what I was driving in early September of last year. Since she drives close to 15k miles a year in mixed city/highway, she will only be spending $2 for every $3 she is spending now for fuel. And the fact that the lease payment is $70 less than the Toyota payment is just the icing on a very sweet cake.

herm 02-18-2012 11:23 AM

"Now you know why Iran pulls the crap they do, to keep the oil supply in the news."

I think insanity has more to do with it.

JusBringIt 02-18-2012 12:04 PM

What doesn't love money and attention?

Just paid $3.799999999999 for regular here....

Pavel4 02-18-2012 12:15 PM

Is gasoline really expensive? If you add in all the actual costs (military, damage to the environment, etc. etc.) it would be double the price.

We pay about $1.28Canadian per litre ($5US per gallon) right now for regular. Check the prices in Europe or Japan, they are much higher still.

All these prices have been held artificially low for too long. We are only beginning 'to pay our way'.

ALS 02-18-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxxMPG (Post 335048)
At the station up at the corner, it's 3.899 / 3.999 / 4.179 for 87/89/Prem. Diesel is 4.399.
Since she drives close to 15k miles a year in mixed city/highway, she will only be spending $2 for every $3 she is spending now for fuel. And the fact that the lease payment is $70 less than the Toyota payment is just the icing on a very sweet cake.

That is the same reason I bought my Prius. My fuel cost is somewhere between 40 and 45 percent, of what I was spending with my old car.

MaxxMPG 02-18-2012 12:28 PM

Al,

Given the raw numbers, you and my sister both came to the same conclusion. She doesn't take kindly to suggestions (rather stubborn and set in her ways), but if she's willing to listen, I can tell her how to more than double her current mpg number in the Toyota. Maybe another buck a gallon will open her mind?

On the test drive, she gave the acceleratior pedal the "Chris Brown Slapdown" multiple times to "make sure it has enough power to get on the highway". And arriving back at the dealer, the aFCD read 29.5, which translates to a real 27.8. Already about 4 better than the Toyota. During the drive, I told her (with the sales associate also in the car), that fuel economy is not a freebie. On any car with high EPA numbers, you need to commit to driving the car in a way that makes those numbers possible. I wanted to be sure she knew that it wasn't a magical chariot, but rather a powerful tool that, when used properly, can punch through any EPA number and deliver mpg results beyond what anyone (who doesn't visit CleanMPG) would consider possible. Time will tell if she takes the advice.

08EscapeHybrid 02-18-2012 02:06 PM

Has everyone downloaded the GasBuddy app to their smartphones yet?

ksstathead 02-18-2012 02:35 PM

Just did it after seeing your post. Looks good. Thanks!

SentraSE-R 02-18-2012 05:53 PM

Today's California average regular price is >$4/gal., $4.009/gal today. Needles, CA gas prices are always high.