CleanMPG Forums

CleanMPG Forums (http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2009 Toyota Prius II Hatch (http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Gen 2 Prius Keeps Going and Going and Going (http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38406)

xcel 01-08-2011 01:07 PM

Gen 2 Prius Keeps Going and Going and Going

Prius longevity proven mile after mile.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/Prius-II_on_the_Gulf_of_Saint_Lawrence.jpg
Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - Jan 8, 2011

Jesse Rudavsky’s Massachusetts based 2005 Prius-II on the Gulf of Saint Lawrence

An update…

Just over a year ago, his 2005 Prius hit 200k miles. Today, it has breached the 252k mile mark with the same engine batteries and driveline. In doing so, his Prius has been the most reliable car he has ever owned. Over 252k miles and not even a brake job. No suspension work, no exhaust work. Nothing, zero, zilch, nada, rien!!!! Nothing but basic oil and air filter and tranny fluid changes.

According to Jesse, the car still rides and drives like the day he purchased it in February of 08 with 84,354 miles and still easily hits the EPA under normal driving conditions.

He has taken many road trips of course including a trip to South Dakota and Wyoming in the fall of 2008, Alabama last year plus several trips to Florida and Wisconsin. The car has also seen the top of Mount Mitchell in NC at 6,684 feet. He hopes to get back to Alaska as he did in 2005 with his gen one Prius sometime in the near future.

Jesse’s only complaint is the gas tank bladder which from a blinking indicator to first click can only hold 8 gallons in winter temps.

There is no indication of battery degradation and he fully expects to easily surpass the 349,531 miles he placed on his gen one Prius. That vehicle was purchased with approximately 84,000 miles so between his first and second gen Prius’, over 433,000 miles have been accumulated which is certainly noteworthy!

Finally, he strongly recommends the technology.

Other vehicle’s in Jesse’s immediate family fleet include his 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid, his girlfriends 2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid and his father’s 2005 HCH with a CVT. A very well rounded hybrid fleet indeed!

ALS 01-08-2011 01:18 PM

Re: Gen 2 Prius Keeps Going and Going and Going

Stories like this are what changed my opinion on hybrids.

RichXKU 01-09-2011 01:12 AM

For those of us keeping score at home, that's 115 miles a day every day since 2005 (from all owners).

Or, 153 miles/day everyday since Jesse took ownership.

GreenBlues 01-09-2011 09:04 AM

Some good words on a Gen1 from Consumer Reports:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...view/index.htm

phoebeisis 01-09-2011 09:42 AM

Our 2006 hit 50,000 miles-
ZERO problems-just oil changes.
I wonder when I should change out the "transmission fluid"? Someone must have posted a DIY how to on it?
Charlie

brick 01-09-2011 09:55 AM

50k is a good time to do it IMO. I did mine about then and the fluid came out pretty dark & ugly. I just did the second change on my wife's car at about 100k and the fluid looks better than the first interval.

It's a pretty easy job. There are certainly DIYs around if you search. One thing you do need: a funnel and several feet of 1/2" or larger hose for filling. I can tell you from experience that it takes forever to fill through hose that is too narrow.

EVuser 01-09-2011 11:30 AM

"Father time" that will likely determine the life of the Prius battery back and not the odometer.:flag:

Mendel Leisk 01-09-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoebeisis (Post 294254)
...Someone must have posted a DIY how to on it?
Charlie

A few bit's of info:

* Torque spec for fill and drain bolts is 29 foot pound. Both are round cap and require a 3/8" socket drive. I believe both bolts are visible behind the maintenance flap, in vicinity of engine oil filter and drain bolt.

* Capacity at refill for second gen is 3.8 liter, I think (get 4)

* Always take the fill bolt out first, just in case there's a problem breaking it loose. Replace the washers (available from Toyota dealer)

* Level check: With car on level ground, level should be 0-5 mm below lip of fill hole.

I was researching a rear differential fluid change, and several people recommended getting a hand pump hose for doing the transfer. You might try that for transaxle. Get one that's not too expensive, but effective, and label it as Prius transaxle, don't use for anything else.

I'm likely overzealous, but like to change transaxle fluid every couple of years, which works out to around 36,000 km's with our usage.

Second Gen drain and fill bolt locations:

Third Gen Prius is similar, except refill capacity 3.3 liter (again, get 4). Also, level check is spec'd as 0-10mm below fill hole lip. In both gen's I'd just fill till it starts to come back out. Here's 3rd Gen drain and fill bolt locations:

With both illustrations it's pretty hard to visualize, get your bearings, but I suspect both are accesable through that maintenance flap. Not sure though ;)

Harold 01-09-2011 12:59 PM

Mendel;
I wonder if you can add the new oil thru the dip stick with the Prius? Come to think of it there is no dip stick? Does it have a dip stick? H

ksstathead 01-09-2011 01:11 PM

No dip stick