Archives

View Full Version : 2008 toyota highlander Hihy

bear15
03-28-2008, 09:52 PM
Today we test drove a 2008 highlander hybrid limited--very awesome experience. We were wondering if anyone owns one and is willing to share experiences. ;)

green_wheels
03-31-2008, 03:38 PM
I picked my up our hybrid limited last Friday. And I have been blown away by the car in every category so far. I will start with the mpg. Because it is my first hybrid and I still learning how to drive a little more conservatively I am getting about 23.5 mpg. I have a good feeling that will improve dramatically with warmer weather and experience. Driving in all conditions is very smooth. When trying to nurse the car for extra mileage it coasts nicely and when a sudden change in speed is required there is more than enough power to get where you want to go with no lag. Styling is a matter of opinion, but I think the car looks modern and has much style as any other SUV. Interior comfort is impressive and noise levels are just right, not to quiet that you might fall asleep and enough to know there are other cars around you. My opinion is that the tan interior is far better looking than the grey. I haven't had too much time to play with the NAV and sound system, but I really see know flaws in either. I really like the car and it is a blast to drive. If you are thinking of getting one, get one you won't be let down.

bear15
04-01-2008, 06:12 PM
Hi Green Wheels,

Thanks for the information. We also like that you can put it into eco mode as well as ev mode. At slow speeds
(25mph & under) we receive awesome mpg. We had it in ev mode for over 10 min. before the ICE turned on.

I picked my up our hybrid limited last Friday. And I have been blown away by the car in every category so far. I will start with the mpg. Because it is my first hybrid and I still learning how to drive a little more conservatively I am getting about 23.5 mpg. I have a good feeling that will improve dramatically with warmer weather and experience. Driving in all conditions is very smooth. When trying to nurse the car for extra mileage it coasts nicely and when a sudden change in speed is required there is more than enough power to get where you want to go with no lag. Styling is a matter of opinion, but I think the car looks modern and has much style as any other SUV. Interior comfort is impressive and noise levels are just right, not to quiet that you might fall asleep and enough to know there are other cars around you. My opinion is that the tan interior is far better looking than the grey. I haven't had too much time to play with the NAV and sound system, but I really see know flaws in either. I really like the car and it is a blast to drive. If you are thinking of getting one, get one you won't be let down.

seftonm
04-01-2008, 07:22 PM
My parents have a 2008 HiHy Limited. Most of my time in it has been as a passenger in the middle seats. The seats have plenty of room -- more than our old van -- and are comfortable. Total cargo space seems less than our old van and the HiHy is a larger vehicle. I think I've only driven it twice. Eco mode seems to help drivers to get better fuel economy. The engine was reluctant to stop running in cold weather (below 0F), possibly because I had some friends and the heater on? I don't know much about Toyota's HSD logic. My parents live in a smaller town and the NAV system's information for the town is not very accurate, but it reportedly works well for major roads and larger cities.

philmcneal
07-20-2008, 12:21 PM
hm no cleanmpg members here really share their deep experiences with the hihy 08 since i've read some of the limitations like if temps are below 70F EV button will not engage :(

but i saw a member milking 35 mpg by using a EBH daily on his commute, not bad for a 7 passenger i'd say! And when I test drove one for 100 ft (with the ev button and econ button enabled of course, but this customer was getting 9L/100km so i didn't want to trash his score :)
lol I just had to get one somehow! But that's dreams for now :P

I really love the white bars that appear when your accelerating, such brilliance in using the engine in its efficiency range.

One day i'm going to have to offer a customer to somewhat fill up his gas tank so I can milk an impressive segment from it!

Shiba3420
07-21-2008, 07:19 AM
I'm really hoping somoene with a 2008 will join and log their mileage data. I get the impression that the 2008+ is a less efficient vehicle than the 2007 and earlier models, but might get better mileage with average joe if they drive in EV mode. Not sure EV mode will help at all if you are driving it well to begin with, but I'd love to see somone alternate between modes on tanks and see if it does help.

If you do get one, good luck with it! We certainly have enjoyed our earlier model HiHy, but wish it was a 2nd vehicle behind a high mileage car...maybe in 2/3 more years.

HighAltitudeFE
08-12-2008, 12:40 AM
I have a Camry Hybrid, which I assume works basically the same, since it also has the HSD.

Eco mode seems to help drivers to get better fuel economy.

ECO mode affects the climate control system, which would give you better fuel economy. I don't drive without it engaged, unless I need to use the defroster (which turns ECO mode off for you).

The engine was reluctant to stop running in cold weather (below 0F), possibly because I had some friends and the heater on?

I've found that my TCH typically won't shut off the engine until it's warmed up. In the winter, that's when the needle on the temperature gauge is almost horizontal. In warmer weather, it sometimes shuts off at lower temperatures, but I haven't been able to determine a specific pattern.

We also like that you can put it into eco mode as well as ev mode. At slow speeds (25mph & under) we receive awesome mpg. We had it in ev mode for over 10 min. before the ICE turned on.

Recently, (the last 2 months or so) I've found that keeping the battery charged (primarily by using SHM) has significantly improved my fuel economy (from about 41-42mpg to about 45-48mpg). Doing so, I've found that I almost always have charge when I need it, such as for an unanticipated stretch of stop-and-go traffic. I also typically have a good charge when I get to my destination, which keeps the car from trying to re-charge itself on residential streets or parking lots while it's not warmed up--much less efficient than re-charging in SHM on the highway. But there are times I wish for an EV button...

Chris

Copyright 2006 Clean MPG, LLC. All Rights Reserved.