Archives

View Full Version : Elixer's and Mod's ...

xcel
05-25-2006, 08:05 PM
Hi All:

___Great place for the elixer's and mods to go ...

___Good Luck

___Wayne

SVOboy
05-25-2006, 08:10 PM
Too bad it's not the best place for grammar. ;)

xcel
05-25-2006, 08:12 PM
Ya rly, metro's hit 95+ a few times but never the old way way up there.

Personally, I'd love to join him, but as of today with my automatic transmission I cannot. In any case, I will try to make that mark when I am done with all my snake oil elixirs (such as better aerodynamics, manual transmissions with lowering gearing, and extremely efficient vtec-e engines).

xcel
05-25-2006, 08:13 PM
I was joking about your saying that.

#1, I have no problem testing potions, I don't think they'll work, but if they do, all the better for me.

#2, there's no point in denying modifications that can be made, because gas savings modifications will only make driving techniques go further.

Automatic transmissions, by their very nature, have greater drivetrain losses than stick shifts, and reduce control (though not in all cases). For this reason I dislike them (plus they're less fun and studies have shown stick drivers to get in less accidents). Besides, my transmission has terrible gearing as it is. If it were a stick shift now I'd change the tranny to the one I will be using.

I am at 40 mpg now, we'll see where I am before I begin serious driving techniques (I'm giving it a tank just to see, then I'll be visiting dan for lessons), then I'll see where techniques take me. Nothing against techniques here, but I'd like to know how much they are worth on my car, for knowledge's sake.

PS: VTEC-E no longer exists, :(, but the new R18 uses something better, I'll have to research the K24 and see what it does in this arena, if anything.

xcel
05-25-2006, 08:14 PM
I drive a 91 CRX DX and I find that I have peaked in driving this auto. I cannot coast except to a stop and I cannot shut the engine off because traffic is just that bad. I'm sure I could gain 5-10 mpg with my superMID hooked up, but this transmission will not accept an electronic vss with which to hook up the superMID, so instant feedback is impossible.

To me, there's not point learning to beat every mpg out of an automatic with little control over the driving experience (as mine is) when I could gain 20-30 mpg by converting to a stick shift, that's why I'm fooling with that elixir. I thought I just said that driving techniques would be my first move once I have the stick shift in, but *shrug*

SVOboy
05-25-2006, 08:18 PM
Yes, well, as far as this is concerned my belief follows thusly:

Most cars will benefit more from driving technique than modifications. However, some cars, when so modified that they become more like other cars than their original form, will benefit more from those modifications. While driving technique should be quickly perfected, the ability for all people to drive a car and get better FE than the would otherwise is still to be desired. After all, that's the popular appeal of the hybrid.

xcel
05-25-2006, 08:22 PM
Hi SVOboy:

___Very well put. Now lets get you busting out some decent segments as you have yet to truly discover your 91 Civic DX’s worth, modded or not!

___The first thing you will discover while at Dan’s is setup. The next thing you will discover is Alternate routes. The third thing … Well, the third thing could be just about anything ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

SVOboy
05-25-2006, 08:26 PM
Segment mileage updates will begin with the swap (tomorrow night) as I will be able to use my MID then. Mehbe I'll mention something in the future around this place if I ever feel that it is appropriate, until then, *shrug*

xcel
05-25-2006, 08:37 PM
Hi SVOboy:

___I cannot wait to hear about your SuperMid install as feedback is definitely a huge plus in the quest for maximum FE.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

Copyright 2006 Clean MPG, LLC. All Rights Reserved.