Archives

View Full Version : Full EV Conversion of Scion xB @ Orlando International Car Show

johnf514
11-19-2007, 09:25 AM
Hello all! Thought I would post in this section, as it looked like it needed a little love.

I went to the International Car Show in Orlando this weekend. All of the major automakers, excluding the Germans, were there. Consumer vehicles everywhere on the floor. However, tucked away between Mercury and the high end Ferrari/Lambo exhibits was a small "Miscellaneous" section. And in there sat a fully EV Scion xB!

http://floridaeaa.org/modules/xcgal/albums/userpics/10008/normal_eBox%20Picture%20048.jpg

Owned by Andrew Roddy of the Florida Electric Auto Association, this gem was converted into an EV by a California company named AC Propulsion (http://www.acpropulsion.com/) for $55K - a steep price to pay, but the conversion is full. No ICE whatsoever. The xB can do 0-60 sub-10 seconds, has a 150+ mile range, can do 90+ MPH, and charges overnight on a standard house outlet.

I'll have more photos of the vehicle at the show soon, but for now, here is a great album showing the xB during it's conversion: Photo Album (http://floridaeaa.org/modules/xcgal/thumbnails.php?album=16&page=1)

If you PM me, I would be happy to provide Andrew's email address for those interested in further questions. He was quite knowledgeable about the vehicle; and in turn, I made sure to inform him about our efforts. :)

Daox
11-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Wow, good range and acceleration.

thetonka
11-19-2007, 10:07 AM
I wouldn't pay $55K for it, but that looks like a cool little commuter.

Lugnuts001
11-19-2007, 11:09 AM
Good find. Tom Hanks has one of those. I went there yesterday and I was at the one in Miami on Friday. I was hoping to see the CR-Z, two-mode Vue, and the new Corolla and Matrix. Neither had any of them, and much like dealers, the show representatives had no clue.

johnf514
11-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Tom Hanks has one? That's great news - a great car for a great actor. :)

xcel
11-20-2007, 01:10 PM
Hi John:

___I am currently working on a story about the SMART Li-Ion EV and the new 08 Yaris Li-Ion EV conversion. Although still pricey in the standard sense, at $35,000 for a 140 mile AER, it seems pretty cheap to me. Imagine if that went OEM. We are talking $25K for a fully capable Yaris BEV!

___Good Luck

___Wayne

diamondlarry
11-20-2007, 02:29 PM
Hi John:

___I am currently working on a story about the SMART Li-Ion EV and the new 08 Yaris Li-Ion EV conversion. Although still pricey in the standard sense, at $35,000 for a 140 mile AER, it seems pretty cheap to me. Imagine if that went OEM. We are talking $25K for a fully capable Yaris BEV!

___Good Luck

___Wayne

Wow! With 140 mile AER, I could almost do all of my work-only commuting on one charge a week.

johnf514
11-20-2007, 02:55 PM
We are talking $25K for a fully capable Yaris BEV!

Exciting! The perfect commuter and weekend getaway vehicle all in one! :)

xcel
11-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Hi Guys:

___I have some E-Mails and a phone call in so far but no replies as of yet :( I might just do a base News story but I did talk with one of our members (Bailout) if he could do a week long stint with the Yaris BEV if they would allow? He said “Hell Yes” as would any of us :)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

Skwyre7
11-21-2007, 09:39 AM
Wayne, if you ever find the need for some one in the DC area to test drive something, I'll gladly take a road trip to do it. ;) Richmond would be better, of course. But then I'd have to share it with JimboK.

xcel
11-21-2007, 09:52 AM
Hi Michael:

___I will keep you in mind if they will allow one out into the wild for a review ;) Funny however as I still have not heard back from them yet?

___Good Luck

___Wayne

Copyright 2006 Clean MPG, LLC. All Rights Reserved.