Archives

View Full Version : VW Passat 1.8 Turbo

Arroba
09-02-2007, 08:40 AM
Here is my VW Passat:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/104/302938032_7b6c0a4a68.jpg

It's a 1.8 Turbo from 1999 with 90.000 kms that I've had for a year. So far I'm very pleased with it, specially with the engine. Official consumption rating in Europe is 29 mpg average (38 highway and 20 in city driving).

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/99/301124270_195326c7aa.jpg

This pictures were taking near the city I live in Spain.

Fuel economy is good for its size and power but still far from what some smaller cars can achieve. My average is around 30 mpg with some peaks at 35 mpg in the summer.

The best I've ever managed on a significantly long trip is 40 mpg, although it should be possible to improve it a bit more (I never FAS). The longest gear is short for the amount of torque available and its great aerodynamics (0.59 m2).

I'm trying to improve the average on my daily conmute, so far I've got over inflated tyres, use long gears, "drive without brakes" and use the AC mostly on downhills. Sometimes I draft behind trucks (at a long distance though, so it doesn't help a lot) and I keep speeds under the limit.

Next thing I plan to do is to use a "mild" P&G around 90-110 km/h, first with the engine in gear and later possibly putting it in neutral (it's a manual).

psic
09-02-2007, 07:40 PM
That's a great car, IMHO it's better than the very newest version of the Passat. I think an average of 35 MPG can be achieved, mainly with slower speeds (try keeping it at 100 Km/h on the highways, around 60 MPH). The turbo should help in the lower revs. I P&G between 100 and 80 Km/h on the highways, though I stick with local roads if I can. My car is similar to yours, at least in size, even though it has less power and torque (106 HP). I almost never use the A/C and have started using P&G even on local roads, usually pulse to around 75 then let it drop to 60 (Km/H), this means I can keep it in fifth gear the whole time.

Where in Spain do you live (does the 'Z' on your license plate stand for Zaragoza?)? I spent three weeks in Spain this year on holiday, we went with my friend's old Golf 2 (1.6 diesel engine, non-turbo) and got around 45 MPG, though we had a roof rack and we were quite heavy (three of us with lots of camping gear). We went through Barcelona, spent almost a week in Benecassim (hope I spelled that correctly), then Valencia, Grenada, Cordoba, Toledo and finally Madrid for almost a week. We stayed on the local roads as much as possible, the road from Valencia to Grenada (so Andalusia) is some of the most beautiful driving I've ever done or been a part of. The Sierra Nevadas (the ones in America were named after the mountains in Spain with the same name) to the south, old ruins and castles on some of the hills, olive and fruit orchards, the roads gently weaving with almost no traffic... Words don't do it justice :)

Arroba
09-03-2007, 12:48 PM
Yes Psic, the "Z" stands for Zaragoza ;).

It looks like you had a great time in Spain, I hope you will come back more often and find time to stop in Zaragoza.

I used to own a car similar to your friend's Golf 1.6 diesel: a 1.6 diesel Ford Orion with just 54 bhp. I usually got around 35 mpg in that car making short trips around town, which was great. The problem is that was the only great thing about it :D. Driving on open roads you could easily reach 60 mpg.

Going back to the Passat, I'm starting to have problems keeping it above 30 mpg due to the massive traffic jams I come across in my daily conmute. The extreme weather we're having also has an effect because I have to use the A/C often when I come back home.

xcel
09-05-2007, 12:19 AM
Hi Arroba:

___Have a pic with you in front of your VW? I think it will go to the “Ride of the Week” on the home page as soon as you do ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

jcp123
09-06-2007, 11:55 AM
1.8t is a great engine...one of the best 4-cylinders I've ever had the pleasure of driving (was in my Mom's '00 New Beetle). I don't know if the 2.0l FSI is any good, but I was sad when they replaced the 1.8t.

My Dad had an '00 Passat (although it was a V6 4motion wagon), and he still regards it as the best car he ever owned.

Arroba
09-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Xcel, I don't have any pictures with me in front of my car, but thanks for the offering. I believe there are more deserving drivers around here for sure ;).

Jcp123, the 2.0 FSI is definitely worse than the 1.8 Turbo, but fortunately it's also been phased out by the 1.8 TFSI (160hp) and 1.4 TFSI (140 and 170 hp). These are much, much better engines: the new Audi A4 has a fuel consumption of 7.1 combined with the 1.8 TFSI while my Passat has 8.2 lt/100km in spite of being lighter and equally aerodynamic (0.59m2).

Turbo and direct injection have proven to be a very nice combination in gasoline engines too.

Copyright 2006 Clean MPG, LLC. All Rights Reserved.