Archives

View Full Version : My New Mazda3 :)

psyshack
07-14-2007, 11:59 PM
The Civic screwed up for the last time today. All four door seals failed and something in the rear end broke. It started banging and clanking to beat the band. That was it! I tried to get a Yaris 3 door with power and air bags. I was told by two dealers. That Gulf States Yota doesn't bring them in there network. Plus they didn't want to give my near enough for the wanker Civic. And the PII's where out of the question price wise. Mitsu has the new Lancer out. and I liked it and they wanted to give me a great deal. But being a first year car. Couldn't do that. Learned my lesson with the Civic. I couldn't get into the Versa or Sentra.

So I ended up with a Mazda3 S Touring, 2.3L, 5MT. Its Purple Mica with Charcoal inside. With 17" wheels.

Driving it home from the dealer in Tulsa I got a 44 mpg segment at 40 miles. I took the wife out for a ice cream in it when I got to Okmulgee. The tank is setting at 42.8 right now. I will pump up the tires in the morning and get it out on my test loop. I see no reason why I cant get high 40's to low 50 mpg out of this car.

The Civic had to go.

psy

pumaman
07-15-2007, 12:10 AM
Congratulations on the new Mazda! We have three Mazdas in our family. I have the 2.3l engine in my Mazda 6, also with a 5 speed, and look to get a little over 40 mpg on the current tank. So you should be able to squeeze a bit more out of it in the smaller Mazda 3. Good luck and enjoy.

BailOut
07-15-2007, 12:17 AM
Enjoy your new ride!

Right Lane Cruiser
07-15-2007, 12:35 AM
Congrats, Psy! I know you have been pretty frustrated with your Civic for a while now.

So when do we get to see pictures? :D

xcel
07-15-2007, 02:12 AM
Hi Jeff:

___Holy Cow that came out of the blue. I know you were looking but not for a Mazda3? Time for some pics ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

psyshack
07-15-2007, 03:00 AM
Hi Jeff:

___Holy Cow that came out of the blue. I know you were looking but not for a Mazda3? Time for some pics ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

Well it just kinda happened. ;)

psy

MnFocus
07-15-2007, 09:26 AM
Gratz psy! The Maz3 is a car that doesn't get the appreciation it deserves - people that have them like them alot though . Get some pics up please - I'm sure you'll get the 3 in the mid 40's and above quickly.

fwiw I did check out the Mits Lancer before the Focus - I didn't much care for it ( seeing your bar is set a little higher than most ,I doubt you would either )

brick
07-15-2007, 09:32 AM
Too bad about the Civic (four door seals and a broken suspension?!?) but you ought to have boatloads of fun with that 3. Congrats on a good choice!

jcp123
07-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Not bad. My girlfriend test drove one a few months ago. Wasn't too wild about the styling from some angles (though from others it's a fine looking vehicle, especially the 5-door, which I think is a much better proportioned vehicle) - , having all that fancy stuff (like nav and power windows that break), and the 2.3l was unimpressive to say the least - the 3 must either be heavy or geared tall, because it was still slow. The chassis seems pretty nice though, and I've heard the 2.3's fuel economy is pretty good for what it is. I loved the seats as well as the trunk space. For the price, it seems like it was pretty well put together, despite the auto industry's scourge - plastic.

psyshack
07-15-2007, 09:04 PM
Heres some pics of the 3

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=562

Heres a bit of ink and pics. The car in the artical is just like mine. Same colors, trim and features.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/12860/2007-mazda-3-s.html

psy

Mr. Kite
07-16-2007, 08:25 AM
Congratulations! That's a nice looking ride.

johnf514
07-16-2007, 09:06 AM
Hey! Congrats on the purchase - you'll love the 3 like I love mine. :D

Just out of curiousity, why did you go with the 2.3L and not the more FE friendly 2.0L. Not sure if you drove a 2.0L, but there is little difference between the two.

The car looks great! Then again, I'm probably biased. ;)

psyshack
07-16-2007, 09:18 AM
Hey! Congrats on the purchase - you'll love the 3 like I love mine. :D

Just out of curiousity, why did you go with the 2.3L and not the more FE friendly 2.0L. Not sure if you drove a 2.0L, but there is little difference between the two.

The car looks great! Then again, I'm probably biased. ;)

There is only 2 mpg diff epa wise between the two engines. I wanted the bottom end the 2.3 offers. Its a low speed low rpm grunter compared to the 2.0. Also the dealer didnt have a 2.0 with a mt. Only in AT. Plus the 2.3 will eat the 2.0 alive if one choose's to make the tach sore. Which I will do from time to time. I allowed it to eat up a altima yesterday on my 30 mile test loop. Just after I took the pic of the 3 infront of the spillway at Okmulgee lake. 1st and 2nd was enough for them. 3rd wasnt needed. :p Also the 2.3 allowed me some other features I wanted as standard.

psy

johnf514
07-16-2007, 09:45 AM
Fair enough - great purchase, Psy! :D

The pictures are wonderful - I love the deep purple - if only it wasn't so hot in FL. ;)

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences! By the way, are you full-on hypermiling in a new vehicle? How do you feel about doing that to a new engine? With respect, I've held back a bit, simply because I've noticed the Mazda3 isn't terribly fond of FASing. Just my experience.

Great move on the 5MT - isn't the shifter/gearbox wonderful? :)

psyshack
07-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Fair enough - great purchase, Psy! :D

The pictures are wonderful - I love the deep purple - if only it wasn't so hot in FL. ;)

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences! By the way, are you full-on hypermiling in a new vehicle? How do you feel about doing that to a new engine? With respect, I've held back a bit, simply because I've noticed the Mazda3 isn't terribly fond of FASing. Just my experience.

Great move on the 5MT - isn't the shifter/gearbox wonderful? :)

Full on right off the lot. It does have a issue with the power steering and fas. I will be researching it more. So I fas on. :)

psy

johnf514
07-16-2007, 01:11 PM
Full on right off the lot. It does have a issue with the power steering and fas. I will be researching it more. So I fas on. :)

psy

I ran into the exact same problem - so don't worry. I believe the engine/ECU/PCM is a bit sensitive to rapid ICE on/off. Also, power steering will sometimes not come back for a few moments, as it is controlled by an electric motor via the CPU and not a PS pump off the engine. Also, if you FAS on/off quickly, you may get a CEL - it should go away relatively quickly.

With respect, consider breaking it in with normal driving and RPMs (3000-3500, "moderate" acceleration) for 500 miles. Just my humble opinion - it is your car. ;)

Happy hypermiling! :D

WriConsult
07-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Congratulations! I don't know how you managed to find such a lemon Civic, but this sounds like a good change. I'm a big fan of the 5-door M3, and bummed to hear it doesn't come in a 2.0, so I'll be interested to see how the 2.3 does for FE in the long run.

psyshack
07-16-2007, 07:55 PM
I had to go to the Mazda dealer today. Took them the title and the other keys. Got my sub power and ground cable out of it. And also took my cleanmpg.com tag frame. Its was hard. It was like having to put a dog down.

The used car manager asked me if I wanted to drive the car one last time. Told him no I was afraid the right rear would fall out of it. He said he understood and offered a drive after they fixed it. He complimented me on the over all condition of the car. The tint, engine belly pan and over all clean state the car was in. He was forthright in saying how passionate I had been about and with the car. The used car manager walked me over to the service manager and he complimented the Civic. And I was given another free oil change and detail for the 3.

The service manager then wanted me to meet the GM. So off we go to his office. He had all the service records on his desk for the Civic. He was glad to meet the man from tv that was getting 50 mpg in the Civic. I gave them all the paper work for all the warranty work done. And of course they had my personnel service records. The GM gave me another free oil change and detail. :) I asked the GM what kinda of money they thought they would make on the car. He was what I feel very honest in targeting a $750 profit on the car after the repairs where made. And they were also going to put a heap cheap set of new tires on it. The car would also have a 12 month / 12k mile in dealer warranty. He also told me if I referred somebody to the dealer for the purchase of the Civic he would pay me $100 bucks. And $50 for every Mazda referred.

So it was a good,,, good bye to the Civic.

psy

MnFocus
07-16-2007, 08:27 PM
Cars are funny that way - you put your heart and soul into it and just can't quite make it be 'right' and finally giving up on it ...then you start to realize for all its faults it was family . You gave it a pretty good go psy , can't ask much more .

psyshack
07-17-2007, 08:02 AM
I found out this morning on edmunds that the 06 and 07 MZ3's do have a simple iFCD. Its turned on very easy.

Audio system has to be on.
Hold down FM/AM and CD and start the car
The display will say DIS ON
Turn engine off the restart.
Basic read out will show where the clock is.
To see the clock. Push the clock button.
To see iFCD push set. Push set to scroll thru read outs.
Real time mpg.
Ave. mpg.
Ave. mph.
Miles to empty.
Miles to empty doesn't want to reset by pushing the set button.
There appears to be a 4.3 mpg diff. between its read out and the SG. The SG is set with -1% right now. So the cars iFCD is reading lower than the SG.
Also the cars unit and the SG both go to 0 gas useage as soon as the key to turned back on in a fas. The car reads 99.9 and the SG 9999. No count up to the magic numbers.

psy

lightfoot
07-17-2007, 08:30 AM
Its was hard. It was like having to put a dog down.
psy
I felt the same way about my trusty Accord Wagon. Now every time you see a Civic the same color and model as yours was you'll wonder if that's the same one that you owned. I still do with Accord Wagons and it's been four years.

Chuck
07-17-2007, 08:54 AM
Don't know what happened to your Civic, but hope your Mazada 3 goes a lot better!

SlowHands
07-17-2007, 09:36 AM
Congrats on the 3 Psy!! I got to drive one (hard, very hard...) a few months ago at a Mazda 'Zoom Zoom Live!' event and it was a ton of fun. Oh yeah it seemed like it would be a good fuel efficient car too:D

pumaman
07-18-2007, 09:36 AM
I felt the same way about my trusty Accord Wagon. Now every time you see a Civic the same color and model as yours was you'll wonder if that's the same one that you owned. I still do with Accord Wagons and it's been four years.

When I bought my Subaru in 00, I sold my 92 Voyager to a guy at work. It was for his wife to drive, but every so often she stops by work with it, and it's always a bit of a shock seeing it. Brings back a lot of memories. It's also a bit of a shock that's it's still going at all after 15 years on the road!

psyshack
07-29-2007, 10:51 AM
Today I push the tires to 50 psi. Will make a run into the country and see what the mpg is doing.... :)

psyshack
08-07-2007, 07:52 AM
OK,,,,,,, Ive been ave. 41.3 mpg with the MZ3 since purchase. There has been some spirited driving. :)

Today I have to make a trip to SE Oklahoma. So I'm going to see what I can do with this car. I don't expect spectacular results. But do expect to see a trend on the positive side.

Changes to the car Ive made seen purchase:
Turned on its internal mpg display.
M1 0w-20 in the crank case and M1 75w-80 gear oil in the transmission.
Ive installed the throttle body ground wire mod.
Tires are as of this morning at 60 psi.

I will be carrying two tools box's and a bucket with motor shims, grease gun and parts. I do have to make some time. After all I'm on company time.

So heres to a good trip. Fill the coffee up... And we are off!!!!!

psy

johnf514
08-07-2007, 08:26 AM
Hmm. Some interesting results this morning.

Had to fill up as I was at 1/4 tank and may be making a long drive tonight. Tank was at 42.3 MPG on the iFCD in the Mazda3. Filled up - 417 miles over 10.9 gallons = ~38.3 MPG.

Not sure how the gauge got so far off - and I'm definitely not happy about the lower MPG. Psy - any comments?

Right Lane Cruiser
08-07-2007, 08:32 AM
M1 0w-20 in the crank case and M1 75w-80 gear oil in the transmission.

Jeff, how did you determine your car is okay to run 0w-20? I'd love to move to that as I think the improvement would be noticeable over the 5w-30 dino I currently run, but don't know that it is safe?

Good luck on the trip! P&G is your friend. ;)

psyshack
08-07-2007, 06:31 PM
Hmm. Some interesting results this morning.

Had to fill up as I was at 1/4 tank and may be making a long drive tonight. Tank was at 42.3 MPG on the iFCD in the Mazda3. Filled up - 417 miles over 10.9 gallons = ~38.3 MPG.

Not sure how the gauge got so far off - and I'm definitely not happy about the lower MPG. Psy - any comments?

Hello John

I think the iFCD in our cars is kind of JUNK!!!! Mine has read low every tank. meaning 38 mpg shown and I calc. 40 mpg. Im very glad I didn't buy a GT to get this 5 cent adder. With that out of the way its still a tool. Even if a bad one. And worth having the way we got ours. I still haven't got my SG calibrated yet. But I'm on the right track. Taking a 4 mpg hit tho,,, does suck.

I have noticed the tank ave. gets to a point then kind of sticks if you will. And I know the deeper you get into the tank the harder it is to move the tank ave. :) But my SG seems to understand a tenth or two better than the IFCD.

psy

psyshack
08-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Jeff, how did you determine your car is okay to run 0w-20? I'd love to move to that as I think the improvement would be noticeable over the 5w-30 dino I currently run, but don't know that it is safe?

Good luck on the trip! P&G is your friend. ;)

Hi RLC

On new cars that spec 5w-20, 0w-20 is a no brainer. Be clear tho,,, Im not sold on the stuff like the hybrid and ubber hypermilers are. For me its more of a fall and winter oil. I just happened to find it on close out at Walmart. Ive ran it in the past and haven't seen diddlie squat mpg wise out of it verses 5w-20. The truth is if I could find M1 0w-30 in the local market I would run that as a summer oil.

With the mpg numbers you have been getting of late. It seems you and the car are working good together. If you want to play with oil viscosity's. Try some Motorcraft 5w-20 in it. Its a syn blend. And honestly a good straight up oil by all accounts. If there is something about it you don't like then you don't have a lot invested in it. Its only 10 or 11 bucks for a jug. If you and the car like it. Then by all means move on to M1 5w-20 or Amsoil's offering.

psy

Right Lane Cruiser
08-07-2007, 07:06 PM
Hm. Mine called for 10w-30 and I've been running 5w-30 the entire time I've owned the car. I don't know if I could put in 5w-20...

Guess I'll stick with what I have since it seems to be working.

Thanks for the info, Jeff!

psyshack
08-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Today was a chore. My high hope were smashed as soon as I walked out the door to leave. A wind out of the south meant doom.

Right off the bat a head wind for 14 miles to I-40. A cross wind to Sallisaw. Then more of the same on south the Poteau. Then when I go to leave the wind switches to a southwest movement. This left me yet again with a cross wind or a,,, at best cross head wind. Not to mention the temps flirting with the 100f mark. My work today had me in a boiler room at 140f for 3 hours. Man did that make for a hot drive home. 50 miles out of Tulsa I had to turn the AC on. I ran it for 10 miles at 60 mph. Only tool used when AC used was load driving.

Todays effort was good for 41 mpg for 270 miles total.

psy

EvlMinion
08-07-2007, 10:49 PM
Psy,

Shame you had so much trouble out of the Civic. None so far from mine. Grats on the new car - it looks very nice. You're kicking the crap out of me with half a liter more displacement, too...

Still, I managed 44.8 mpg on my trip home today. :)

hohead
08-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead, but I couldn't find any other recent Mazda 3 threads...

I've been occasionally FAS'ing when I see a red light off in the distance, and I always restart the engine once the light turns green (using the starter).

However, after reading these forums, I have tried doing a FAS, continue gliding, then starting the car using a "bump" (car is still moving).

However, when doing a bump with the Mazda 3, it seems to have serious difficulties bring the PS (power steering) back to life. I experimented a few times today, and one time it took over 60 seconds (!) before PS came back.

My Mazda 3 is fairly difficult to steer without PS, so if it takes longer than 5 seconds for the PS to come back after a bump, I don't feel safe doing this.

Any comments from other Mazda 3 owners?

Thanks!

xcel
08-04-2008, 10:50 PM
Hi Hohead:

___The latest gen Mazda3 is equipped with an odd EPS system unfortunately :( You will find your answer in the link below.

Jeff Townsley reviews the 2007 Mazda 3 S Touring for CleanMPG (http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6215)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

hohead
08-04-2008, 11:55 PM
Thanks dude, found my answer from your link:

If you go into a FAS, you will not get the power steering back until you are back under 20 mph with the ice running or until you come to a full stop and re-start the engine.

Cheers.

Copyright 2006 Clean MPG, LLC. All Rights Reserved.