Archives

View Full Version : “Ride of the week” - July 8, 2007.

xcel
07-08-2007, 11:12 PM
Not just one but two HCH-II’s! (http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/in-the-news/t-ride-of-the-week-july-8-2007-5350.html#post35385)

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/546/MSantos_and_Wife_06HCH_07HCH_.jpgManuel Santos - CleanMPG.com (http://www.cleanmpg.com) - July 8, 2007

My money’s on Karen to be the top fuel miser in their two Honda hybrid household ;)

My name is Manuel Santos and my wife's name is Karen. We've been married for 15 years and we have a 7 year daughter. We're both engineers by profession (for the last 20 years or so) and we've always seen ourselves as "practical environmentalists". In other words, while we do believe strong environmental statements have their time and place; we also believe that any example worth offering should be something within reach of most people.

Neighbors, employees, co-workers and friends are often the common targets :)

Maybe one day, we'll take a more "tree hugging" approach, but for now we'll just stay and live in the more mainstream side of things.

And a close-up …

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/546/MSantos_and_Wife_s_06_and_07_HCH-II.jpg
Manuel and Karen are proud owners of these two absolutely pristine HCH-II’s.

Best Regards;

MSantos

noflash
07-09-2007, 09:28 AM
I've got two as well. Although, they are not pristine. :)

A 2007 Galaxy Grey and a 2006 Opal Blue Pearl.

Mine don't have that side hybrid badge in the picture (I think that what it reads). Are those aftermarket or new from Honda?

BailOut
07-09-2007, 10:51 AM
Very nice, you two! I think it would be great to have someone so close to you that you can have mileage competitions with.

If you folks ever do decide to do some more green things just let me know, and I'll help get you started. :)

msantos
07-09-2007, 12:53 PM
Noflash:

Those are genuine Honda Hybrid badges installed by the dealership. As far as I know, the new cars still do not come with side badges. I had them installed on my 06 shortly after I bought the 07 Prius last fall - I liked the ones on the Prius and felt the HCH was somewhat "incomplete" without them - funny, I never missed them before we got the Prius. Having had them both side-by-side in the garage somehow made the omission on the HCH more obvious.
Anyway, when we relieved the 07 Prius from its household duties the dealership was kind enough to install those on the 07 HCH as well. After a while... it seems OK, I guess.

Bailout:
I am sure you could teach us a fair amount. I am simply amazed at what some folks do, and I admit to sometimes wanting to achieve the same... one day... :)

Cheers;

MSantos

owlmaster08
07-09-2007, 04:09 PM
Nice Magnetic Pearl HCH! (Yes, you caught me, that's the color of mine...)

noflash
07-09-2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the explanation.

Very unique (for an HCH, anyway).

If possible could you post a closer pic of the side badge?

msantos
07-09-2007, 05:06 PM
Sure. I managed to snap this one in the garage a few moments ago.

I should mention that they used a positioning template (of see through plastic) that revealed the placeholders for the badge. Then they just removed the adhesive strip cover from the badge and stuck it on. It looks like the badges are identical to the one in the rear.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/522/medium/HCH2_Hybrid_badge.jpg

owlmaster08
07-09-2007, 05:23 PM
Very pretty!....However, one reason I got the HCH instead of the Prius is that I don't want to scream I have a hybrid. I want people to know, but I don't want them to know that bad. As they say, to each their own?

PapaMile
07-09-2007, 09:24 PM
It looks like the badges are identical to the one in the rear

Hmm, not very good for the drag. ;)

Pierre

Sledge
07-09-2007, 09:41 PM
Sure. I managed to snap this one in the garage a few moments ago.

I should mention that they used a positioning template (of see through plastic) that revealed the placeholders for the badge. Then they just removed the adhesive strip cover from the badge and stuck it on. It looks like the badges are identical to the one in the rear.

Anyone got a part number for that badge and those templates? :)

seftonm
07-10-2007, 12:24 AM
Nice cars and photo location. My neighbour also has a Civic Hybrid and I think he has some side badges as well. I'll have to take a look next time I see his car.

msantos
07-10-2007, 08:45 AM
Anyone got a part number for that badge and those templates? :)

Sledge, I did a little "look-up" and this is what I came up with:

Part Number: 75723-SNC-A01
Description: EMBLEM, (HYBRID)

You may find these at online (perhaps at Saccucci Honda) for $16-$17 a piece. I think your local dealership will charge you a little more.

I saw no reference to the templates. I think the templates may have been constructed according to Honda literature instructions. Most body shops will have the body repair manuals that often provide this type of info so that the body shop may position the emblems properly.

Seftonm:
Taking the picture at the Mint was my wife's idea.

Cheers;

MSantos

Sledge
07-10-2007, 09:17 AM
Yeah I had already found the badges. I just need the templates so they line up nicely.

noflash
07-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Very nice. And congrats on your Ride(s) of the Week!

Chuck
07-10-2007, 10:28 AM
I did not know about the badges.

Great article! :)

rhwinger
07-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Nice to see a picture of you and yours, MSantos. Great post, too.

Thanks,

Bob

Copyright 2006 Clean MPG, LLC. All Rights Reserved.