Archives

View Full Version : Reno to Las Vegas

BailOut
04-29-2007, 07:52 PM
I closed out one of the few items on my "Things To Do Before I Die" list last night: I attended a live Cirque du Soleil performance. :woot:

The wife and I drove from Reno to Las Vegas yesterday, a trip of roughly 440 miles. The route follows SH 395 north to I-80 east to SH 50 east to SH 95 south. The vast majority of the trip is on SH 95 which is a 2-lane highway for all but about 40 miles.

I had the highest hopes of finally getting a 50 MPG tank on this run but it was not to be as the wife is on pain meds after a second titanium nail insertion in her right tibia 2 weeks ago, and they were making her feel hot. She demanded AC usage after just the first 100 miles. I can't say I blame her, though, as it was 91F by the time we hit Hawthorne and 98 in Vegas.

This tank also includes over 10 miles of city driving in Reno and 30 miles inside Las Vegas, including I-15 and "the strip" on a Saturday evening.

Trying to hypermile the best I could with the AC on (which really hurts on a little 4-banger) and while not using FAS as the clicking and key rattling would wake the wife during the times she was napping, I managed to gt 49.611 MPG. This is the second time I have gotten close to 50 MPG without actually getting it, but under the circumstances I was glad to get what I did.

The Cirque du Soleil show, "O" at the Bellagio (http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/CirqueDuSoleil/en/showstickets/o/o-Las-Vegas.htm), was beautiful, incredible and worth every bit of what it took to get to see it. It was everything I thought it would be and then some. Every Cirque du Soleil production is something special but the inclusion of water in the stage environment adds a whole new level of possibilities.

We also managed to swim the sea of patrons well enough to get a chance to see the world famous fountain show at the Bellagio (http://www.bellagio.com/pages/attrac_highfountain_noflash.asp).

We stayed just the one night (last night, Saturday), and then drove back home today. Due to my wife's condition not only did I have to use the AC but I also had to maintain 65 MPH rather than 55 MPH all the way. She was in a fair bit of pain and just wanted to get home. I drafted where I could and did a lot of NICE-On coasting and managed to salvage 46.523 MPG out of it.

One thing I learned on this trip is that the state of Nevada is anything but flat. Though a desert it may be it does not lack for geography at all. Very few spots on the 440 mile trip are close to flat... you are almost continuously in a climbing or descending state, although the grades are light and long for the most part. The elevation was a continual roller coaster going as low as 2,200ft and as high as 6,250ft and everything in between many times.

I also learned that the people of and in Las Vegas drive quite aggressively and not very well in general, and that the cab drivers there seem to be in a contest with those of New York for late and/or forced lane changes and horn usage.

On a side note something that was bound to happen sooner or later went ahead and happened. I'm almost guaranteed a broken windshield due to driving a Yaris in a state that has one of the highest over-sized vehicle ratios per capita, and as both a Silverado 2500HD and Ford F-150 passed me on the way home today one of them kicked up a rock that impacted the lower left edge of my windshield and immediately cracked it about 5 inches long at an angle towards the upper right hand corner. By the time we got home the crack had already grown by 2 more inches. The windshield will need to be replaced and re-tinted soon.

One last note: The 19 gallons of fuel I used on this trip were paid for by Shell. :) We're still in our introductory period for their credit card that gives gasoline rebates and we have over $90 of rebates as of this billing period.

psyshack
04-29-2007, 08:56 PM
That was great MPG and effort on your part. Sorry about the busted glass. That really sucks.

psy

tbaleno
04-29-2007, 09:03 PM
Sounds like you had a good time.

Hey, maybe you should buy the wife one of these: http://www.cafepress.com/cp/prod.aspx?p=cleanmpg.128612938

hehehe.

xcel
04-29-2007, 10:44 PM
Hi Brian:

___Considering the circumstances, I think you exceeded any of our expectations!

___Tom, I think the wife will get one of the bears for Mothers Day ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

Copyright 2006 Clean MPG, LLC. All Rights Reserved.