Archives

View Full Version : Just heard I will be laid off as of November 9th

tbaleno
04-17-2007, 10:03 AM
Oh well. At least it will give me more time to work on the site when that happens.

:Banane44:

Sledge
04-17-2007, 10:10 AM
:( :( :( :(

ericbecky
04-17-2007, 10:14 AM
Dang it. Nothing good ever comes out of those ominous company-wide meetings.

xcel
04-17-2007, 10:31 AM
Hi Tom:

___I am terribly sorry to hear about this. Your resume probably needs a little update given what you have done here but your Server side experience and background is where the meat and potatoes will always be found.

___Are you going to move back to the East Coast or find another here in the Chicagoland area?

___Good Luck

___Wayne

tbaleno
04-17-2007, 10:34 AM
East coast if I have my way. Then I can hang out with hobbit and Mike and learn something or get myself electricuted ;)

brucepick
04-17-2007, 10:42 AM
Sorry to hear about that.
I've been through it.
Keep your chin up and do what you have to do.

Chuck
04-17-2007, 10:46 AM
Tom,

I don't wish that on anyone.

I hope you can have good leads and have something on your own terms by this fall.

Right Lane Cruiser
04-17-2007, 12:23 PM
tbaleno -- I'm very sorry to hear about that! :sad:

I too have been through that and it was a terrible experience because the market went sour at the same time and I ended up jobless for... let's just say it was long enough to make stir crazy look like a minor irritant.

I sincerely hope you are able to find another job quickly and that you are able to move on without much difficulty to a job which is (if possible) more fulfilling and enjoyable.

BailOut
04-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Tom,

I just hope this layoff has a silver lining somewhere in it for you. My last layoff very nearly ruined us financially but it also spurred us to look into alternatives. That led to us moving From Ft. Worth, TX to Reno, NV which has been a wonderful experience and worth every bit of anguish.

brick
04-17-2007, 02:29 PM
I'm sorry to hear that, Tom. Here's to hoping that this sends you off to bigger and better things!

diamondlarry
04-17-2007, 04:17 PM
BUMMER! :( At least you're getting some advanced warning. Hopefully, you can have something even better lined up by then.

JimboK
04-17-2007, 05:12 PM
Man, Tom, that's tough. At least you have a little time to line something up.

If you head Hobbit's way, stop off in Central VA on the way. We'll leave the light on for you. :)

Pravus Prime
04-17-2007, 07:11 PM
Aww man, Tom, I'm so sorry.

As said, hopefully that will lead to better things in the future!

laurieaw
04-17-2007, 08:32 PM
sorry about that, tom. at least you have a long notice. some places just dump you right then and there......good luck with wherever you end up.

psyshack
04-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Sorry to hear this sad news Tom. :(

Skwyre7
04-18-2007, 06:50 AM
If you head Hobbit's way, stop off in Central VA on the way. We'll leave the light on for you. :)
It'll be a CF bulb, of course. :D

And of course, sorry to hear the news.

tarabell
04-18-2007, 12:30 PM
That’s awful news Tom. I know things will feel anxious and unsettled, but a lot of opportunity can happen in the next 6 months. I’m sure either it will find you or you will find it.

tbaleno
04-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Actually, I think everyone else is taking it harder than me. I look at this as an opportunity to put more work into cleanmpg. Also, I looked at jobs and saw 350 posted TODAY on dice.com in the area I am looking.

I'm not sweating things yet. I always remind myself. I was unemployed when I started the job and I'll be unemployed when I end it. Not a big deal.

xcel
04-18-2007, 05:58 PM
Hi Tom:

___I am still saddened to hear that your position will disappear and doubly so that you might be moving back out East. I guess we will meet up for HF and the Detroit Auto show every year but you will have to take on the NY show all by your lonesome.

___I remember receiving similar news when the Zion plant closed and boy was that traumatic. I would describe myself as only capable of walking around in mindless circles while quietly talking to myself. Exaggeration of course but it was a challenging time :( You on the other hand are taking it as cool as ice which to me is amazing. From now on, I am calling you the “Ice Man”. I am sure Chuck can come up with the pic from the Top Gun for aviator’s helmet with the insignia “Ice-Man for your new Avatar as well ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

diamondlarry
04-18-2007, 06:07 PM
Hi Tom:

___I am still saddened to hear that your position will disappear and doubly so that you might be moving back out East. I guess we will meet up for HF and the Detroit Auto show every year but you will have to take on the NY show all by your lonesome.

___I remember receiving similar news when the Zion plant closed and boy was that traumatic. I would describe myself as only capable of walking around in mindless circles while quietly talking to myself. Exaggeration of course but it was a challenging time :( You on the other hand are taking it as cool as ice which to me is amazing. From now on, I am calling you the “Ice Man”. I am sure Chuck can come up with the pic from the Top Gun for aviator’s helmet with the insignia “Ice-Man for your new Avatar as well ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

Oh no, does this mean I'll have to go to the Oak Creek meets by myself when Wayne is at work?;):D But seriously, I greatly admire your attitude and calmness.

tigerhonaker
04-18-2007, 08:07 PM
Oh well. At least it will give me more time to work on the site when that happens.

:Banane44:

Tom remember on chat when I said, Oh know there could be people leaving???? That is what took place at Cigna where Cathy works about two yrs. ago. Everyone in the dept. she was in was let go. Two people remained, Cathy and her Mgr.

As I am sure you already know, If you need anything that I can possibly do for you, Just PM/phone/E-mail me and if I can possibly help in any way I will:

Tom, we have known each other for some time now so I am sure "You-Know" that when I say if you need anything that I personally can do {I-Mean-It}:

As you know I just went through this not long ago. :(

Your TN. Connection,

Terry
BTW, I'm sure you know how to get in touch with me:

philmcneal
04-18-2007, 08:56 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, I think everyone else is taking it harder than me. I look at this as an opportunity to put more work into cleanmpg. Also, I looked at jobs and saw 350 posted TODAY on dice.com in the area I am looking.

rofl i post on dice all the time (i'm a manual job poster for a company) there are tons of jobs for guys like Tom, if anything this is a good oppotunity to start looking. The big fair warning is just a window waiting to be open.

Good luck Tom, and more power to Cleanmpg~!

DebbieKatz
04-19-2007, 09:26 AM
Good luck job-hunting Tom! Nice that you have some time to line something else up before you're *actually* unemployed.

And we'll get to see you at a few more MiHG meets :)

Copyright 2006 Clean MPG, LLC. All Rights Reserved.