Archives

View Full Version : not satisfied with 2012 hyundai accent

joesgot4
12-28-2011, 08:35 PM
ive taken my new 2012 hyundai accent to the dealer 4 times with electronic problems and or 50lb activated passenger seat air bag issues! the light is still coming on saying no one 50lbs is sitting in front passenger seat! even when theres an adult sitting in it !the dealer is having trouble fixing this and im thinking i may have made a mistake buying hyundai instead of new ford focus! the other issue is with the hatchback not unlocking with the rest of the doors! sometimes the hatchback will not unlock at all and i have to get back in car ,turn the engine on, then kill it and then unlock the hatch! i have it programmed where pushing the remote unlock once will unlock everything! so far im very pleased with mpgs,but mpgs arent everything! i drove to pittsburgh,pa 950miles one way fully loaded with 2 adults and three children and slam full of luggage and drove 70mph and returned a respectable 42mpgs overall! i just hope i didnt buy another lemon to rival my beloved 2006 chevy malibu! also something i knew going into this purchase that is now haunting me is hyundai's sevice department SUX !

rfruth
12-28-2011, 11:07 PM
Same dealer each time, can they duplicate the problem(s) ? (all makes have problems, don't give up)

MaxxMPG
12-28-2011, 11:50 PM
If I am reading this right, you have two distinct problems - the passenger airbag deactivation switch fails to sense a passenger in the seat, and the rear hatch doesn't always unlatch when you press the button. The passenger sensor in the seat may be bad, but more than likely the connector under the seat is loose, especially if the harness got hooked on the shoe laces of a rear seat passenger. For the hatch, it could be a weak solenoid or a loose connector.

Both are relatively simple to diagnose, and I think the problem is not with the car, it's with the dealer. My local Hyundai dealer is excellent, and so are two other area dealers where my sister used to take her Hyundai when she owned one. I'd take it to another dealer, and if possible, make a video on your cell phone or small camera so you can show the service writer what's happening. Be optimistic and friendly and explain what's going on and give them a fair chance to investigate and fix the problem. If that other dealer fixes it first shot, you know where to take the car if it has any more problems.

Ophbalance
12-29-2011, 09:00 AM
With my previous 10 years of Hyundai ownership, this was ALWAYS my biggest issue. I very rarely had problems with the car, but very frequently had issues with the dealerships. To date I've not found a single one that I would trust in NEPA or Eastern NC. But I would say the same for Honda in NEPA as well, and when I left the area the only one that was close was in Reading PA.

I know I've detailed this in the past, but to even purchase my 99 Elantra, I had to track down a sales associate the day after all the July 4th sales. There were several sales folks sitting outside the dealership but none offered to help until we approached them. And our test drive consisted of driving around the dealership, and ended with "So, you gonna buy or what?". This ended with us putting 500 down on the car, but not able to get the "Supa Fabulus Deal!" they were offering on the radio. They didn't tell us on the spot, they waited until we were home for the night. The further told us that we'd lose our 500 dollar deposit if we weren't in the next day with some other form of financing. We managed to get a parent to co-sign, but when we attempted to get the color of the car we wanted, we were further told "No, you need to take home the car you test drove. It's already prepped!".

I learned a LOT from that experience, and should have walked on the deal and called the state down on them. However, the difference between them and a Focus was at least 5k at the time, and we just didn't have that kind of money starting out. In talking to a teacher at the college I was in, they had pretty much the same experience with that same dealer.

The dealer in Durham, NC had my car in because it had lost pretty much 50% of its power, and was burning through gas like you wouldn't believe. Turns out the first cat (remember, the car came from NEPA, and had to meet CA emissions for whatever reason) had imploded. The first cat was behind the heatshield and directly below the exhaust header. The dealership had to replace it under warranty (yay) and had it back to me within 2-3 days. I tried to drive it home, but it was STILL doing the 50% power thing. I turned it around and complained. They responded with "Oh, well, it ran fine in the parking lot". They NEVER took it for a drive on the main roads or highway??? The excuse they gave me was they didn't realize it even had two cats as they've never come across it before. Turns out the first cats remains ended up in the second cat. They at least gave me a loaner for that, but any other repair I've had through them has always been a sit and wait deal.

Contrast that with the dealer where I got the Prius. When I brought it home (they didn't even have the money for the car yet, stupid credit union is sloooooow to send payment) I noticed the front bumper was messed up. They came out, looked at it, and said "sure is". They drove it back to the dealer, which is 40 miles away, and put a new one on. They then drove it back. Every time I've been in they've not tried to sell me a new car, they just get the work done. And if I don't have time to wait? Well, every time it's been "no problem Mr. Williams, do you need a loaner?". I've NEVER gotten that at a Hyundai dealer... I have to drag them kicking and screaming into a loaner, and they almost always have just the one "and it's out right now".

JusBringIt
12-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Well, the dealerships make the company. That said, I'm not sure whether or not this issue is isolated, but if it isn't, Hyundai better get on it BEFORE it loses the "media darling" description. Being known as the Hyundai of old is not good for their aspirations...nor any other maker for that matter.

Hopefully your issue is resolved sooner rather than later. Try a different dealer.

joesgot4
12-29-2011, 08:15 PM
i asked for a loaner and was told they dont offer loaners to customers! now i have to find time to carry it back to the dealer again and im going back out of town so it wont be for a couple of weeks! and that is if some hard to get part comes in! i filed a complaint yesterday at hyundai motors online! here in meridian,ms we have a ford dealer that is top notch when my hyundai was damaged by a shopping cart the ford dealer fixed it! and did a good job in a timely manner! what i have learned over the years is you buy more of the dealer than you do the brand of car! i ran from gm for some of these same reasons! it just seems that there are so few good dealers and my local ford dealer is excellant! i just hope the hyundai's quality will overide the dealers problems! my car still has both problems and im waiting on a fix!

Ophbalance
12-29-2011, 09:25 PM
Perhaps the "no loaner" thing is now a company wide policy? If that's the case, it just sucks. I forgot to mention the other dealer I was happy with, Mazda in Reading, PA. I bought an Escape off of them, and they went above and beyond in fixing a seat issue we had with it. I didn't get a "loaner" per se, but rather an enterprise rent-a-car (for free! At least three times) each time it went in. I think my sales guy is still there, and it's been 8 years!

joesgot4
12-29-2011, 10:43 PM
the sales manager and salesman who sold me the are both gone now and its only been 5-6 months! they told me they moved to another dealer in a town about 100 miles away! im sick of poor service from dealers! SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT THE FORD on that point alone!

herm
12-30-2011, 06:52 AM
the sales manager and salesman who sold me the are both gone now and its only been 5-6 months!

That sucks, you lost all the pull you had at that dealership. When people select a dealership they never worry about loaner cars and the quality of the service dept.. the furthest thing in their mind is that the car will need to be repaired!

Last time I went to a Ford dealership there was a couple of days waiting period for them to even look at your car.. and they had a vast parking lot full of cars waiting, contrast that to a Toyota dealership with only a couple of cars having their oil changed :)

That scared me away from Ford..

Ophbalance
12-30-2011, 09:42 AM
The guys I bought my Prius off of are still there, and so is their aging Chesapeake bay retriever (one hip replacement later). Funny as heck to have a big 'ol dog walking around with the good 'ol boys. Course, it's a combined Toyota/Chevy dealer, and the only one in the area, so that probably helps a ton. I get a call about every six months from my sales guy "still happy with your car?" two years after purchase. That's a rare thing to find at a dealership.

EdwinTheMagnificent
12-30-2011, 10:32 AM
Funny , but I don't expect to get a free loaner from a dealership. Why would they give you anything for free ? Of course , all of the new cars I've bought since 1981 have been either Honda,Toyota,or Mazda.......... and not one needed warranty repairs. Maybe I should check on the loaner-car policy if I decide to buy a Hyundai.

joesgot4
12-30-2011, 09:08 PM
DONT you think if the work is covered by warranty and they will have your vehicle for an extended period,they should provide you with transportation!

jcp123
12-30-2011, 10:59 PM
I can echo the sales staff comments - my experience at the local Kia dealer wasn't actually bad but it left me somehow non-plussed. But the service staff at my dealer so far has been fantastic.

EdwinTheMagnificent
12-31-2011, 08:49 AM
Joesgot4 , you make a good point. I guess I have never walked in those particular shoes , so I can't quite relate. I hope you have better luck in the future with your Accent and dealer support.

Ophbalance
12-31-2011, 10:31 AM
I've owned 2 Honda's, 1 Ford, 2 Dodges, 2 Hyundai's, and 1 Toyota. Not a single one has NOT been kept overnight for warranty or other dealer service work. Maybe I'm just that unlucky, but I think it's not uncommon for a car to be in for service even for a "reputable" brand.

jcp123
12-31-2011, 12:52 PM
DONT you think if the work is covered by warranty and they will have your vehicle for an extended period,they should provide you with transportation!

When I worked service, we had loaner cars for $35/day, or we sent you to the rental car place next door at same cost. Sometimes warrantee covered it - but not always. At Harley it was a little different - we had a loaner bike we gave out for free IF it was a warrantee claim that could reasonably be considered an issue significantly more major than should be expected within the warrantee period.

herm
12-31-2011, 04:53 PM
the service center at a dealership is a profit center.. shop around and find one that offers loaners then use that one for warranty work. Same for car insurance and extended warranties, some offer loaners. It also pays to patronize the same salesman/dealership so that they appreciate you as a long term customer.

Hyundai and VW America have a reputation of being chintzy with their dealers about warranty work.

I wonder how many customers beat a dealer down to $300 over invoice and then expect free stuff at the service dept?

ItsNotAboutTheMoney
12-31-2011, 05:14 PM
I don't expect loaners except for warranty or recall. Being Taco country, the local Toyota dealer that had long wait times on a recent recall due to having few Taco loaners available for people who actually needed a pick-up.

The dealerships don't give loaners for regular servicing. They do have courtesy shuttles. They also offers rentals with low fees for people with cars being serviced as well as normal fees for people just renting. To rent you have to have rental coverage on your car insurance since they don't offer it. It might be worth renting a c for a day this year to give it an extended test.

jcp123
12-31-2011, 07:11 PM
VW? The only really outstandingly excellent dealer I remember was Stevens Creek VW's service department. Those guys went over and above.

SentraSE-R
01-01-2012, 10:07 PM
I've only bought four new cars in my life, and only one needed warranty work. I may have been offered a loaner car, but would have turned it down, since we've always had multiple cars in the family. The one rental car we accepted was during warranty work on a car my wife bought - a Hyundai. The Hyundai dealer drove us to Enterprise Rent-a-car, and picked up the tab.

schuylkill
01-13-2012, 10:19 AM
Hey Joe,
Did you trade it in yet? What's the latest? How is it driving otherwise? What are your temps
like these days? Keep us informed, I like your enthusiasm. Russ

joesgot4
01-22-2012, 11:43 PM
i havent traded it in, but my front air bag on the passenger side still after almost 2 months does not work and hatch gives intermident trouble with the unlocking mechanism i have not been contacted since december 27,2011! i like my car, there are a few dislikes on highway its kinda loud, and the tranny seems confused,i get great mpgs,but if i had it to do over would have went with the complete package of dealer and car and bought a new ford focus!

Copyright 2006 Clean MPG, LLC. All Rights Reserved.