Archives

View Full Version : Beware of Green Actors that Fly Their Own 707 or 747

Chuck
02-25-2007, 10:28 PM
Those that know me know my target is not environmentalism but hypocrisy.

I'm skeptical of some of the talk show hosts that bash environmentalist, but decided to check up on what an evening host as www.koa.com (http://www.koa.com) (850am - Fox-affiliated) said about John Travolta. He does have five planes, including a Boeing 707, possibly a 747 (which he aquired the license to fly) See http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1124167,00.html#article_continue

Kind of have to conclude when Travolta parked an Insight ("the Cadlliac of Hybrids") in Be Cool he was only acting.

Did you also know that Leonardo DiCaprio regularly has been seen driving an Escalade, even with all that buzz about his Prius?

Some of these actors undermine the green movement by giving opponents fodder to illustrate how they waste more than some of us will do in a lifetime. I understand that flying is almost unavoidable, but do they always need their private jets? I'm thinking along lines of traveling 1st class commercial, maybe lobby to expand that business.

Living by example is a powerful thing. Cutting back on the induldgence - or - tooling around in your own 707 is going to send a message.

lightfoot
02-26-2007, 08:32 AM
I read the article, which rambled a lot, but it mentioned "only" two planes: the 707 and a Gulfstream bizjet. What else does he own?

I agree the 707 is over the top. It probably burns far more fuel than a modern smaller bizjet, and probably lacks the noise-suppression measures required on modern aircraft. Not surprised his neighbors objected! I wonder how much he actually uses it; bet the Gulfstream is far more convenient.

I too was skeptical of private jets until I saw the setup for the big company my ex worked for. Small jets make it possible for an executive or a team to visit several widely scattered sites in a day, wasting much less time in transit than commercial airline travel. Factor in that many of sites are in smaller cities or other locations which would require changes on commercial airlines, that a private jet is more conducive to work (either alone or by enabling a team to have an in-air meeting), and that often the trip involves more than one person (a team or "entourage" in Travolta's case). This company's jets were pooled so that various people used them. Now companies use lease-sharing arrangements with aircraft charter services.

I'm not defending the practice 100%, just saying that sometimes it can make sense.

A bit surprising that Travolta does his own flying given that acting is a tiring business. You'd think he'd have a pilot so he could rest, but maybe he finds piloting relaxing.

The article also mentions private pilots. Worth considering that many of them rent planes or belong to a club that owns planes rather than owning a plane themselves.

I subscribe to the Smithsonian's Air & Space magazine, and it's clear that there are a lot of people with a LOT of money collecting and restoring airplanes. Travolta seems to fall in this group.

lakedude
02-26-2007, 12:53 PM
I've got several vehicles myself with only the HCH being somewhat "green". I drive the HCH to work nearly every day, drive the Vette on longer weekend trips and use the 4wd gas guzzler truck to pull the gas guzzler boat or when it snows. I feel kinda bad about the guzzlers so the HCH is in the mix for balance.

That the actors ever drive a little "eco" box is a good thing....

Chuck
02-26-2007, 01:18 PM
If you google, Travolta has a Lear, several Gulfstreams, and a 707 (unless he got that 747).

efusco
02-26-2007, 02:14 PM
This doesn't bother me a lick. Flying is his passion. He's a man of means that he's earned on his own. The amount of pollution he creates is nominal in the grand scheme of things and it's not like thousands of people will follow in his footsteps buying and flying 707s. Clearly there are aspects of my life that are far from 'green'...but I've made changes I'm comfortable with in places where it's reasonable to do so. If each of us makes those small changes it will add up to large changes in time.

But pushing people to give up the things that they love and live for will result only in them pushing back and ultimately work against any cause you wish to promote.

brucepick
02-26-2007, 02:31 PM
This doesn't bother me a lick. Flying is his passion. He's a man of means that he's earned on his own. The amount of pollution he creates is nominal in the grand scheme of things and it's not like thousands of people will follow in his footsteps buying and flying 707s. Clearly there are aspects of my life that are far from 'green'...but I've made changes I'm comfortable with in places where it's reasonable to do so. If each of us makes those small changes it will add up to large changes in time.

But pushing people to give up the things that they love and live for will result only in them pushing back and ultimately work against any cause you wish to promote.

I have to agree. I don't think we could ask an entertainment icon to actually live as we live. We have to admit that they don't.

Chuck
02-26-2007, 06:43 PM
All of us have things that are not green - that's OK.

I'm trying to say if someone in enteratainment or the public eye is promoting greeness, they need to "walk the talk" by making some sacrifices themselves before asking the public to do so. Maybe John Travolta is not at all involved in the green movement at all.

I think some of the green actors could come up with a way to cut back on using personal jets, for instance. They will still be frequent flyiers using way more than most of us do, but their moderation on travel would cause them to be taken more seriously.

tbaleno
02-26-2007, 07:22 PM

I agree with this.

CoasterToasterXB
02-27-2007, 06:23 AM
Maybe these actors who fly around have several accounts with Terrapass to try to offset all of their damage. I was watching the news yesterday and they where bashing Al Gore , because hes been traveling the globe in jets. I'm sure Al Gore uses terrapass. What do u think?

psyshack
02-27-2007, 08:12 AM
In the same vein. I saw a a sight,,, maybe driveaccord.net where Mr. Gore use's a lot of electrical power at his home in Tenn. I had to get a giggle out of it. http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10203

psy

Copyright 2006 Clean MPG, LLC. All Rights Reserved.