Archives

View Full Version : Hypermiling Has Changed Me

rhwinger
02-19-2007, 01:22 PM
Well, when you start down a new road, you never know where you may end up, right?

We bought the HCH II in July 07. My wife was concerned about the enviornment, I wanted to reduce forgien oil imports, especially from the Middle East. So started hanging out here at CleanMPG to try to drive more efficiently. From this, I wanted to understand why oil was over $70 a barrel and gas over $3 a gallon. Reading about oil production lead to a more indepth look at supply and demand, institutional investors, and other factors such as "geopolitical factors" like Iran, Iraq and the instability in the Middle East. We all read about the hate and the killing every day, but I just couldn't get my head around it all. Muslims, Jews and Christians. More digging and soul searching.

Hanging out here has exposed me to others with varying viewpoints, opinions and paradymes. Sorry about the spelling. Seeing that we can express our differences in a respectful manner has been refreshing and thought provoking. So here I am, trying to understand and respect new views, mixing in a bit of history, politics and religion outside of it all.

So I find myself in a small group from our chuch and the leader shows us three books that we might study. One was titled "Abraham" and it talks about how the three major faiths all claim Abraham in a similar way. I jumped at the chance to see something from a non-Christian perspective. The book referenced the Koran, but no one in the group had read it or even knew a Muslim. It just so happens I drive past a Mosque on the way home from work every day, so in a few days I find myself walking up the sidewalk to the Mosque.

To make a long story short, we hosted a meeting of Muslims and Christians in our home. We attended a study session in the Mosque last week, and our pastor has arranged for a meeting of our entire congregation with them at the YMCA.

This whole thing has been so exciting! We have so much in common. Guess it's easy for me to say this, we live in America, and we are so sheltered.

Hanging out with folks like you has been a real eye opener. Not sure where this is heading, but trying to keep an open mind.

Thanks for the example all of you set.

Bob

xcel
02-19-2007, 05:43 PM
Hi Bob:

___That was an awe inspiring story! As you hinted, this is only an initial first step and who knows where it will lead? I wonder what you will be doing in the future to promote both tolerance of others (a hypermiling trait if I have ever seen one ;)) as well as reducing our personal footprints on our one and only lifeboat. I have a feeling your enthusiasm has already opened minds and broadened horizons for more then just your immediate family and I want to personally thank you for it!

___Good Luck and thanks for sharing.

___Wayne

psyshack
02-19-2007, 07:56 PM
Ive often thought about the diff. of the major religions. I would like to read the Koran at some point in my life.

Good luck with the journey.

psy

Copyright 2006 Clean MPG, LLC. All Rights Reserved.