Archives

View Full Version : "Pulse & Skate?"

Chuck
01-13-2007, 10:03 AM
Got an idea of doing a winter Insight Marathon.

Find a straight, level farm road in the MidWest
Put sand at designated intervals
Get up to speed on the sanded segments
Past the sanded parts, cut the engine, shift into neutral and skate! :DCheck the current temperature in Tonkawa, OK (http://weather.msn.com/local.aspx?wealocations=wc:USOK0534). In Dallas Friday afternoon, we had 68F, then a cloudburst so bad it's was hard to see 20-30 feet at times. Now it's around freezing and will get lower - the MidWest icerink extends to Texas. :(

At one point going home Friday afternoon, the windshield was foged so bad it was like a sheet of ice- had to dry it with my jacket and roll the windows down.

msantos
01-13-2007, 11:35 AM
That reminds me of what we do around these parts when ICE racing. I believe we now will be adopting ICE drifting as one of the event classes (seriously). I guess, it could also be classed as car skating... hummm.

Anyhow, as you can see it would get pretty boring around here if people always stayed indoors when the temps dip below -35F. Nothing like putting one's silly cap on and do something "on the ice and an ICE". :D

Cheers;

MSantos

laurieaw
01-13-2007, 03:37 PM
Got an idea of doing a winter Insight Marathon.

Find a straight, level farm road in the MidWest
Put sand at designated intervals
Get up to speed on the sanded segments
Past the sanded parts, cut the engine, shift into neutral and skate! :DCheck the current temperature in Tonkawa, OK (http://weather.msn.com/local.aspx?wealocations=wc:USOK0534). In Dallas Friday afternoon, we had 68F, then a cloudburst so bad it's was hard to see 20-30 feet at times. Now it's around freezing and will get lower - the MidWest icerink extends to Texas. :(

At one point going home Friday afternoon, the windshield was foged so bad it was like a sheet of ice- had to dry it with my jacket and roll the windows down.

ok, chuck.....been there, done that. we have about a 2 mile stretch of dirt road from our place to the highway. i usually take that way to work, but i changed it last week when i came home and turned onto that road and saw solid ice from one shoulder to the other. it's great low rolling resistance, but i held my breath until i got about a mile down the road and some of the dirt showed through. there would have been no way to stop on that one had i started to skid toward the ditch. my neighbor was coming behind me and she wasn't going any faster, either......scared the crap out of me.

i despise winter.

RH77
01-13-2007, 05:40 PM
Kansas City is getting a crummy mix of the same junk (since yesterday when I flew back home -- lucky to get in when I did). It's been in the 14-19F range with isn't helping intake temps and the friction on the roadway is, well, variable.

Step 1. Freezing rain -> Ice ->Sleet -> Snow... break
Step 2. Repeat Step 1.

Currenty cycle 2 of 3.

Slush is crummy to FAS in, as the battery is really trying to get the ABS working (even the lightest touch can engage it), and deceleration is much quicker. Meanwhile, in the TSX, I've been able to test the traction and stability control systems: what an advancement! Less drama behind the wheel and better snow acceleration. Still, crummy FE pushing through the junk, and needing the A/C for defrost. They predict the coldest January on record for this area. I've already heard global warming pundits "what global warming". Geez -- the rest of the world exists outside of your little red state! Argh. :mad:

RH77

psyshack
01-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Just took the Accord out for some pulse/skate action. Pulsa was bad skate was bad also. :) Its in the mid 20's here right now. The last round of freezing rain and sleet went thru about two hours ago. The biggist and last round is suppose to be Sunday.

psy

Copyright 2006 Clean MPG, LLC. All Rights Reserved.