Archives

View Full Version : Worst Case Scene of Lane Jumping?

Chuck
11-04-2006, 10:22 AM
Waco, Texas is a college town. That may or may not have been a factor in a big-rig accident that happened on I35 (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15552578/) that runs thru it:

An unspecified Isuzu vehicle cutoffs a southbound 18-wheeler
Trying to respond to the cutoff, the trucker jumps the median and ends up in the northbound lane
A northbound 18-wheeler collides - two dead. :(
Traffic on queue for ten miles
A minor accident as a result of rubbernecking
One of the big rigs completely burns
Troopers pull over the Isuzu, but don't say if they arrested the driverI think the Isuzu drive should be arrested.

This is why I keep an eye out for lane jumping.

TonyPSchaefer
11-04-2006, 06:15 PM
That's just sad. I think that the Subaru driver should be cited for accidental vehicular manslaughter. Some might think that's excessive, but if anyone else were careless with anything else and two people died, they would be tried in court.

Around Chicagoland, people drive 70 and 80 on the 55MPH interstates. That's just the way it goes. But from what I hear, the police only pull over those who are changing lanes a lot. Though I'm not a huge fan of driving 80 in a 55, I agree that the lane jumpers need to be stopped.

ralph_dog
11-06-2006, 08:48 AM
I think that driving a big rig (80 to 100K pounds of death on wheels) on the interstate is akin to piloting a 737 full of people. The rigs should not be traveling any more than 5 over the limit because of the serious safety consequences that can occur as a result of excessive speed. All big rigs should have GPS nav systems where their speeds/time/position are recorded and drivers should be penalized accordingly, provided that they survive the crash. Let's start controlling these guys like the FAA controls the airlines.

Chuck
11-06-2006, 08:59 AM
While I agree there are a fair amount of bad big rig drivers out there, the info on this accident suggests it was the Isuzu that is to blame.

After speeding, abrupt lane changes need a crackdown. It seems to happen a lot more the past five years.

Copyright 2006 Clean MPG, LLC. All Rights Reserved.