Archives

View Full Version : Florida to Maine and back

Sulfuric
06-19-2009, 02:14 PM
I leave on June 25th, then drive to Atlanta, then to Virginia Beach, then to Laurel, Maryland, then to White River Junction VT/NH, then to Westport Island, Maine. On the way back I may go to Martha's Vineyard(I will leave my car on the mainland though). I'll post a nice report of how it goes when I get back.

If anyone here lives near any of these cities or between them and would like to meet up I would be veryyyyyyy happy. I haven't met anyone at cleanmpg (wouldn't mind ecomodders either) but I really want to. My car will probably average 40-45mpg since it's all moderate speed highway driving with a very warmed up engine. I expect to pay less than $250 for gas roundtrip, hopefully prices won't climb too much in the few weeks.

If you need more precise dates I will happily give you them, or if you are also on vacation in one of these places I will be happy to detour a couple miles to see you.

P.S. Car question - If my car starts running hot, I was told that putting the heat on would take the hot air in my engine bay and move it inside the car, and I could simply roll down the windows to keep myself cool(ish). Anyone know how true this is?

Also, should I change my oil before my trip, during, or after? It's been less than 1000miles since my last trip.

Thanks in advance.

xcel
06-19-2009, 02:28 PM
Hi Sulfuric:

___I wish you were coming my way as I would be glad to meet up with you!

___Yes, turning on the inside heat and directing it out of the windows as best you can will drop coolant temp very quickly. Whether that will be reasonably comfortable for you is an entirely different story.

___I assume you have a grille block? I would remove it because it will not be needed for temperature. Aero is slight at best. 50 + on the Interstate in your Corolla w/ an MT with a light foot should be a goal and I assume you have a SuperMID or MPGguino to keep track?

___Good Luck and enjoy your trip!

___Wayne

R.I.D.E.
06-19-2009, 07:41 PM
I live an hour west of Va Beach and I am retired. A visit would be nice. Let me know when you will be at the beach.:Banane35:

It will probably be non alcoholic for me.

regards
gary

Sulfuric
06-20-2009, 02:38 PM
I live an hour west of Va Beach and I am retired. A visit would be nice. Let me know when you will be at the beach.:Banane35:

It will probably be non alcoholic for me.

regards
gary

That's fine because I don't drink. It's not legal for me either.

Sulfuric
06-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Hi Sulfuric:

___I wish you were coming my way as I would be glad to meet up with you!

___Yes, turning on the inside heat and directing it out of the windows as best you can will drop coolant temp very quickly. Whether that will be reasonably comfortable for you is an entirely different story.

___I assume you have a grille block? I would remove it because it will not be needed for temperature. Aero is slight at best. 50 + on the Interstate in your Corolla w/ an MT with a light foot should be a goal and I assume you have a SuperMID or MPGguino to keep track?

___Good Luck and enjoy your trip!

___Wayne

I have a partial lower grill block, with about 1/3 of it cut out where the cooling fan is to keep my car temp normal. Should I remove the rest?

Also, I don't have any sort of mpg device, though I've been meaning to get one for awhile. I'm also not sure how complicated it would be to install it.

------I just purchased a garmin gps Nuvi 205 for $106(tax included). Best buy has an online deal for it and I am about to pick it up from the store. If I don't like it I can return it within 28 days and I am charged only a 15% restocking fee. $15 for gps help for 3 weeks sounds good to me.

oldlar
06-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Have a nice trip up I-95. Cheaper gas in southern Ga and central SC. I end up by passing any roads around Washington DC, but the GPS should get you through the confusion of roads, but not the road congestion. Much construction on I-95 in Ga, so stay cool.

Sulfuric
06-24-2009, 03:38 PM
Have a nice trip up I-95. Cheaper gas in southern Ga and central SC. I end up by passing any roads around Washington DC, but the GPS should get you through the confusion of roads, but not the road congestion. Much construction on I-95 in Ga, so stay cool.

Thanks for the construction tip. I'll keep that in mind.
I also plan on filling up right after I cross the Florida/Georgia border, since gas is always cheaper there than northern Florida.

-Wayne-
I took off about 80% of my lower grill block. It's been unbelievably hot and humid the past few days and I know my car will run hot. There is a small section right in the middle, directly under the Toyota logo(it's very symmetrical now, looks pretty cool actually), and a little on each side of the lower grill.

Sulfuric
06-24-2009, 03:52 PM
This is a rough idea of my trip route.

Starting in Safety Harbor, FL (Tampa Bay).
After I get out of Tampa, I get off the Suncoast Parkway(toll road, but low amount of traffic, and much nicer) and take I-75 until Macon, GA, when I switch from I-75 to I-475, then back to I-75 after Macon.
Once I'm near Atlanta, I take the I-675 exit, then I-285 counter clockwise around Atlanta, until I take Peachtree Industrial. That takes me roughly to Alpharetta, GA.

Leaving Alpharetta, I take I-85 all the way to Virginia, and take state highway 58 until Suffolk, where I may switch to 13 which later turns into 460/13. I take that until I-264, then to I-64, and that is about my destination in Virginia Beach.

Leaving Virginia Beach, I take the scenic route along the Atlantic for a long way(either 60 or 13), and eventually make my way into Maryland, and to Laurel, MD. After that.....my gps is my guide, I got tired of planning and I will just take advice from the people I'm visiting.

I will report on trip mpg if I can during the trip, providing my relatives aren't using their computers.
PEace ooooooooout

Copyright 2006 Clean MPG, LLC. All Rights Reserved.