Archives

View Full Version : New tires for the Matrix

Daox
02-05-2009, 09:00 AM
Well, my current summer tires are pretty worn out. They were great tires but really didn't hold up long. So, I'm looking for a new set. I'd like to find something with low rolling resistance. As of right now, I'm looking at Pirelli P6 Four Season (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=P6+Four+Seasons&partnum=065HR5P6V2) tires. They don't do so hot in the snow, but thats what my snow tires are for, and they mention they're supposed to be an "Extra Low Rolling Resistance" tire. The or maybe their P4 Four Seasons (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=P4+Four+Seasons&partnum=26TR7P4) also look good with a much longer rated tread life. Any input? What are you guys finding works good on your Corollas/Matrix/Vibes?

Maxx
02-05-2009, 03:08 PM
I just bought tires last week, and after MUCH research on Tirerack.com, I found that people REALLY didn't like the P6s. Great site, just look up the tire and look under review or, better yet, survey. GOOD info.

Daox
02-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Well, from what I read there, people don't like them for driving on the snow. I have a dedicated set of snow tires, so that kind of eliminates that. Also, the people who were 'easy going' drivers tended to think the P6s were just fine. The 'spirited' drivers didn't like them as much. And, the drivers who drove on them for 30-50k miles had higher ratings than the ones who only drove them for a short period of time. I'm honestly not a huge fan of user reviews. How do I know this shmoe kept his tires anywhere near inflated? Theres too much variance and ignorance out there to put too much trust in those reviews.

All I want is a good LRR tire! lol Why is it so hard to find?

brick
02-05-2009, 04:49 PM
I decided to go with the Michelin Hydroedge for the Prius. I haven't put them on yet, but reviews amongst other Prius drivers indicate that it is a very good tire with plenty of tread life. (90k mi warranty).

diamondlarry
02-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Tim, I sent Pirelli an email asking them about the rr of the P6. They said they weren't able to give that information to the general public.:(:mad: From what I've seen, the Goodyear Integrity is hard to beat in the low rr category.

Daox
02-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the tips Brick and Larry. Unfortunately neither of those tires are avaliable in the size I'm looking which is 205/50/R17. The search continues...

diamondlarry
02-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the tips Brick and Larry. Unfortunately neither of those tires are avaliable in the size I'm looking which is 205/50/R17. The search continues...
Bummer.:( Let us know what you come up with.

Daox
04-06-2009, 10:31 AM
I ended up purchasing the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4s. According to krousdb's excel spreadsheet in the files section, these tires have a very low Crr of .0087 (might be slightly different because I'm using 205/50/R17 vs the 205/55/R17 in the spreadsheet). They also appear to wear longer than the P6s according to reviews on tirerack which also helped me spend the extra money on them. They should be here in a couple days and I'll have them mounted shortly after that. I'm looking forward to trying them out.

Copyright 2006 Clean MPG, LLC. All Rights Reserved.