Archives

View Full Version : Vacation Logs in Colorado

Chuck
08-23-2006, 09:17 AM
Since some of you don't go in the Milage Logs, thought I'd mention my last three under "Delta Flyer's Vehicle (http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?page=garage&displayunits=MPG(US)&viewcar=129)" (from most recent to older....)

76.435mpg over 1856.3 miles. Route was:
Lewisville just NW of Dallas to Oklahoma City
stay on I35/I135 to Salina, Kansas
turning from I135 to I70 westbound past Denver
then south on I25 to Colorado Springs
then southon I25 to Raton, New Mexico
then US 64 to Dalhart, Texas
US 87 to Amarillo, Texas
US 287 to near Fort Worth
Hwy 380 to Denton, I35E to Lewisville
55.866mpg climbing I70 from the I470 exit in western Denver to Idaho Springs 20 miles up the road on 6% grade. It's almost impossible not to recal on a 5-speed Insight
96.339mpg going down that same 20 miles from Idaho Springs back to the I470 exit in western Denver. Combined mpg for the round trip: 76.1mpg .Correction: 70.7mpg.
83.193mpg driving from Lewisville to just 20miles east of Denver (Insight drivers tell me I could have easily done another 50 miles to the motel, but did not want to be out of gas at midnight....) Significant in I could not quite drive in a single tank on my CRX HF. Was going 70-75mph drafting behind 18-wheelers until the last 75 miles, when I dropped to 55mph to make sure the gas tank did not run dry.#2 and #3 are very unusual driving conditions.

Chuck
08-23-2006, 11:17 AM
Related, but off the topic: did some CleanMPG mentions during the trip

A couple in a silver Prius I drove along on US 287 for 100 miles thru the Texas panhandle
A couple of people jogging up Pikes Peak
Put a CleanMPG keychain under the windshield of a Prius at the pre-run pasta party.

Mr. Kite
08-23-2006, 01:49 PM
55.866mpg climbing I70 from the I470 exit in western Denver to Idaho Springs 20 miles up the road on 6% grade. It's almost impossible not to recal on a 5-speed Insight

96.339mpg going down that same 20 miles from Idaho Springs back to the I470 exit in western Denver

Combined mpg for the round trip: 76.1mpg .
[/B].

Averaging the averages is a good first approximation, but when there is a big descrepancy between two trips, there can be a significant error. For example, on your round trip on the way up (west), you traveled 20 miles at 55.866mpg. This correlates to 0.358 gallons used (20/55.866). On the way down, you traveled 20 miles at 96.339mpg. The correlates to 0.208 used. For the round trip you traveled 40 miles and consumed 0.566 gallons. This gives a fuel economy of 70.7mpg for the round trip.

I will be driving a lot of those roads in a week and a half as I travel to Arkansas. It will be the first time that we have taken our van on a long road trip. Although I would love to get great fuel economy, we will be driving straight through and I will be concerned with making good time. My little ones will be tired of sitting in the van for too long and we want to maximize the time we can spend with relatives. With that said, I should still be able to easily beat my best tank with all of the tanks on this trip. The extended time on the freeways should give me many opportunities to take advantage of the VCM on my 2005 Honday Odyssey.

Chuck
08-23-2006, 01:57 PM
...my error could be greater, as the FCD does not do perfect math, either. :o

For instance, my Dallas (actually Lewisville) to 10 miles east of Denver International Airport on I70. FCD said something like 78mpg, but hand calculator said a little over 83mpg.

I would have loved to have had more time driving that area and get a more accurate reading (in addition to my math...)

Chuck
08-23-2006, 02:00 PM
Wayne,

The pictures are coming - this was a teaser.

Would like to send a few videos of the ride down I70 (hint: not a good idea to FAS on this interstate:eek: )

Also, I was down to about 3 bars (out of about 20) on the battery charge on the way up, but fully charged easily on the trip down.

xcel
08-23-2006, 02:06 PM
Hi Chuck:

___I liked that your climb and the descent practically matched your total FE for the entire trip. I don’t think this was a coincidence? Secondly, I saw all the wonderful pics of the pre-Marathon Run itself. Do you have any more vacation stops in your Insight for us to enjoy the scenery you must have passed through on the way to and from? I just created a vacation Photo Gallery section for this. Although we are consuming fuel in a wasteful manner while trying to enjoy this country’s beautiful natural attractions, I think it would be nice for others to see where any number of us have been and what we have seen while we were getting there ;)

___I have been wanting to post the following pic for a while now as it was just 3 years ago when the entire family and I were up on top of Pike’s Peak in the MDX …. I absolutely loved it up there as I am sure you did … for the few minutes before heading back down again during the marathon :(

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/529/The_MDX_Overlooking_Rockies.jpg
Family vacation with all of us and the MDX at the top of Pike’s Peak.

___5 of us were in the MDX and the car averaged almost 26 mpg with the wife driving maybe 20 - 25% of the time. From my calc’s, that works out to ~ 130 mpg per person - mpg equivalent. Should have been in an FEH but they did not make them back then and I am not sure everything would have fit as we were loaded up for a three week vacation for that one …

___Upload whatever on the road pics you have as I find them quite interesting. Those of the St. Louis Arch and the Sears Tower in downtown Chicago you took last month were absolutely fascinating!

___Mr. Kite, have you considered any kind of RES (Rear Entertainment System) for the van? Believe me, it has paid itself off a hundred fold and you will find the same within the first three hours of any vacation we have ever gone on with the RES equipped MDX. You can rent or purchase the smaller units online for a very inexpensive price vs. the somewhat more expensive integrated OEM solutions. They really are lifesavers for taking a very relaxing long vacation drive as even I enjoyed listening to some of the DVD’s playing in the background! When the wife and kids were watching fruit bags (my term for movies the suck ;)), they would all put on the wireless headphones and I would listen to CD’s or the radio and we wouldn’t bother each other in the least. It makes long distance travel with a family a very enjoyable experience no matter the location and you most certainly do not have to speed to get anywhere as the family is entertained in their own way the entire journey.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

Chuck
08-23-2006, 02:21 PM
There is a lot in common with the western Denver to Idaho Springs climb with the Pikes Peak marathon.

I'm probably going to do a thread pretending my Insight was in the Pixar film Cars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cars_%28Pixar_film%29), but on the Pikes Peak International Hillclimb (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikes_Peak_International_Hillclimb) - another one of my "off-topic that is on-topic" ;) .

Mr. Kite
08-24-2006, 10:40 AM
___Mr. Kite, have you considered any kind of RES (Rear Entertainment System) for the van? Believe me, it has paid itself off a hundred fold and you will find the same within the first three hours of any vacation we have ever gone on with the RES equipped MDX. You can rent or purchase the smaller units online for a very inexpensive price vs. the somewhat more expensive integrated OEM solutions. They really are lifesavers for taking a very relaxing long vacation drive as even I enjoyed listening to some of the DVDís playing in the background! When the wife and kids were watching fruit bags (my term for movies the suck ;)), they would all put on the wireless headphones and I would listen to CDís or the radio and we wouldnít bother each other in the least. It makes long distance travel with a family a very enjoyable experience no matter the location and you most certainly do not have to speed to get anywhere as the family is entertained in their own way the entire journey.

___Wayne

I did not consider the RES option when I bought it. For 2005, the RES and Navi were packaged together at an MSRP difference of >$4,000 (I think) on the Touring. For 2006, you cannot get a Touring without RES--Navi is the only option. We do have a pretty nice portable DVD player that my son can watch. However, he will probably be playing a Nintendo DS.

We plan on leaving after I get off of work next Friday evening and driving the ~1,000 miles straight through as much as possible. I like to maximize the kids sleeping time.:) We also have a 3 1/2 month old that could make the drive quite interesting.

Our first destination will be in western AR. Over the course of the following 6 days, we will slowly work our way up to IL (just outside of St. Louis). Then we will have a straight shot back on I-70. I'm really looking forward to driving the van under these conditions to see what kind of FE I can get. There should be plenty of opportunities from AR to IL where I will be driving for maximum FE.

How was that drive up Pike's Peak? The only time I made it up there, we all took the cog railway.

Copyright 2006 Clean MPG, LLC. All Rights Reserved.