Archives

View Full Version : 2009 Chevy Aveo as a Rental

nissynis
11-12-2008, 01:58 PM
Hi folks,

FWIW, I pricelined an economy car for my recent tooling around Pittsburgh, PA and was matched up with a 2009 Chevy Aveo LT (auto, of course). It has a average FE gauge, I suppose that measures the Lifetime MPG. It read 28 when I started her up, which comports with the (new) EPA combined number exactly.

I drove it in typical PGH weather (cold but not freezing) on three trips, with a healthy mix of highway and city driving. (I'd say 40/60). With only minimal FASsing, but lots of NICE-ON Coasting, P&G and DWL, I finished up at 34 MPG (with a high margin of error b/c of the short distances involved). I think I could have done better with more aggressive FASsing and knowing the routes better. I also found that the car was a real dog going up some of the moderate extended inclines that characterize Greater Pittsburgh. I found myself with the option of having the tranny downshift on me just to get up these slopes and then holding it there at speeds of 40-45, or trying to P&G up the hills, which also didn't seem to work very well. I'm not sure what would have provided the best FE in that terrain.

Anyway, I'm not totally sold on it, and think I'll just wait for April when the Insight II comes out.

bestmapman
11-12-2008, 02:01 PM
Well for the price it might be a pretty good buy. My son got one last year and the sale price was $8499.00. This was the base model with a stick.

jhu
11-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Do rental companies in the USA even offer manual transmission cars anymore?

nissynis
11-17-2008, 05:45 PM
Well for the price it might be a pretty good buy. My son got one last year and the sale price was $8499.00. This was the base model with a stick.

$8499! Wow. That's amazing. Maybe I should revisit my assumptions.

Do rental companies in the USA even offer manual transmission cars anymore?

I would be shocked if they did. I would guess about half of the driving public cannot effectively drive a stick. They are really missing out on all the fun.

lamebums
11-18-2008, 12:58 AM
I would be shocked if they did. I would guess about half of the driving public cannot effectively drive a stick. They are really missing out on all the fun.

Maybe half of the driving public, but 80% of my generation (and 99% of the girls). :eek:

There are *some* merits to driving an automatic but these are outweighed by the benefits of the manual 95% of the time. That, and manual saves gas.

SentraSE-R
12-19-2008, 04:12 PM
I read somewhere that 93% of the autos sold in the USA are AT. That means 7% drive sticks regularly. I doubt that 20% of the remaining 93% could jump in a MT auto and drive it competently.

jhu
12-20-2008, 02:26 PM
$8499! Wow. That's amazing. Maybe I should revisit my assumptions.

I'd rather get a Versa, which is only $1500 more.

Copyright 2006 Clean MPG, LLC. All Rights Reserved.