Archives

View Full Version : Prius Price tag expected to return to MSRP anytime soon ?

Snefru
09-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Hello,

I may be looking to buy a new car soon. I currently drive a 98 Toyota Tacoma. I'm not very good at hypermiling yet I currently average 21.5 MPG city :(

Due to the frame rot problem that affects some Toyota trucks I may have the option for Toyota's buy back program for a generous price. I would really like to buy a prius but refuse to pay the premium price due to current supply and demand>

Does anyone know if the production of the prius is expected to meet the demand anytime soon and the price to return to normal? If not I suppose I will get buy a 99 Corolla instead.

Thanks

Chuck
09-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Welcome to CleanMPG!

You might get a small reprieve between now and next spring since gas prices are going down a bit, but that's the only possible help I see.

ILAveo
09-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Probably not soon enough, but you should expect competition from the Insight 2 to check Prius price gouging. After the holidays but before income tax rebates arrive tends to be a slow time for sales so it also might be better then.

atlaw4u
09-07-2008, 01:38 PM
I too get frustrated with MSRP markups. You may consider ordering the 09 Prius with no dealer add-ons or look at the upcoming Honda Insight II with a reported base price of $18,500.

Our local Toyota dealer is proud to adverties their new Prius start at just , $27,900 which includes at least $5,000 of dealer add-ons such as tint, pinstriping, scotch guard, paint sealer, etc. . . .

Corolla07
09-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Toyota dealerships will vary. Just like any other car dealership. My local dealership has a small mark-up on their Pruis, but the other dealership in the next town does not. I hate dealer mark-ups too. I was helping a friend get into a 08 Honda Fit Base. But none of dealers in area refused to go below their ridiculous 3k mark-up. Not even a dime. Hours of negotiating for nothing.

phoebeisis
09-09-2008, 01:20 PM
If you look at the history of these gasoline price run ups and the run up in the prices of FE cars , you will see that usually the price of the FE cars come back down.

For 3-4 months post Katrina, Prius were gold ,and dealers demanded MSRP+$1000 or $2500 and being Toyota dealers they usually added those POS dealer option pks-"protection pk= Scotch guard+ wax)=$700 , Appearance pks=pinstripes and those horrible stick on fake wood POS+$700-. All the usual dealer BS.

However by April 2006- 7-8 months post Katrina you could get Prius for under MSRP from even the worst Toyota gougers. We paid $23700 for a PK 4 2006 in April 2006. It listed about $24100 with delivery. Of course, we got the full TC- main reason to buy back then.

In not too short, the price/demand of all FE cars will drop. They will be about 4-6 months behind the fuel price drop. Now , if something"bad" happens- president bombs Iran, then expect another price run up in fuel and FE cars.

The Prius might not drop as much as other FE cars, because I suspect Toyota is putting resources in the new Prius. They-Toyota- isn't pushing their battery pk supplier to ramp up production of the old BP, they are pushing them to have lots of BP ready for the new Prius. They -Toyota -would like to put a spike in the Volt ,and make sure there are plenty pf Prius out there to tempt possible Volt buyers. The Prius will cost a lot less ,and Toyota would like to spoil (take market share) the Volt release. If GM shoots itself in the foot ,and wants $40,000 for the Volt, then Toyota will be very happy.

Just wait, prices will drop.

Charlie

Copyright 2006 Clean MPG, LLC. All Rights Reserved.