Archives

View Full Version : I want my real MPG!

Sledge
07-27-2006, 02:11 PM
My 58.6 tank was pretty real. That's almost 20% over EPA.

http://www.ewg.org/reports/realMPG/part1.php

xcel
07-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Hi Sledge:

___Some of what they are sensationalizing is true but overall, what a bunch of idiots :D

___Good Luck

___Wayne

brick
07-27-2006, 02:58 PM
-No rapid acceleration
-No air conditioning
-No passengers (what they mean is no excess weight)
-No low tire pressure
-Maximum highway speed: 60mph

"Who drives like this?"

Yeah, man. Like, driving better would be hard and stuff. That would mean taking care of the car, paying attention to what I'm doing, not speeding anymore...and stuff. Like, way too hard. We should just lower our standards instead.

tbaleno
07-27-2006, 03:37 PM
Why don't they say "congress should require state police to crack down on speeders". Bingo, instant MPG increases pretty much accross the board.

Chuck
07-27-2006, 03:42 PM
It would raise revenue too...

tbaleno
07-27-2006, 03:55 PM
Oh, heaven forbid government raise revenue by actualy enforcing laws already on the books vs tax innocent tax payers. ;)

HyChi
07-28-2006, 08:01 AM
The EWR campaign comes across to me as "We want our cake and we want to eat it...NOW!" Typical of the aggressive driving attitude that they feel is universal. Hey, if they can get motor companies to get hypermiler mpg's from a car while driving like they do that would be an amazing feat of physics. I wish them luck but hope they don't try to drive up my tailpipe in the meantime.:o

AZBrandon
07-28-2006, 11:37 AM
The "black box" style enforcement is the only way to ensure compliance and maximize revenue. i.e. Use RFID and/or GPS coordination to transmit the speed limit to cars as they pass speed limit signs, then have the car start beeping for 5 seconds if you're over the limit, after which time it will log the event and transmit the results to the next RFID sign so you can be mailed a speeding ticket.

TonyPSchaefer
07-28-2006, 01:19 PM
-No rapid acceleration
-No air conditioning
-No passengers (what they mean is no excess weight)
-No low tire pressure
-Maximum highway speed: 60mphMy carpooler insists that I run the A/C. She's 68 and I don't have the heart to cancel the carpooling.

Since her weight and the A/C are affecting my MPG, can I add her unused MPG to my numbers?

brick
07-28-2006, 01:54 PM
Since her weight and the A/C are affecting my MPG, can I add her unused MPG to my numbers?

Absolutely! Just count in passenger miles per gallon (PMPG) instead of plain old MPG. Even with reduced fuel economy, you are doing the planet a greater service than if you were to make her drive herself and maybe get ~15% better FE. It's just another way of quantifying how your actions affect total gallons burned.

tbaleno
07-28-2006, 02:04 PM
Heh. Well, yeah pmpg is more important than mpg, but for now lets just stick with mpg. Sure, your going to take an mpg hit with an extra person, but just suck it up as one of those good things you do that you don't get credit for ;)

Copyright 2006 Clean MPG, LLC. All Rights Reserved.