Archives

View Full Version : 08 Yaris Sedan w/ AT for Review

msirach
08-11-2008, 11:25 AM
I am getting a 2008 Yaris sedan automatic for review tonight. Does anyone have a Scangauge calibrated for this car? I need the offsets to save time. I will have two Scangauges set-up in it. One of them is an X-Gauge.

It is a friend's car and I am trading the HCHII to him through Friday. The Yaris has 9000 miles on it and his best tank has been 48mpg so far.

mark2908
08-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Hi msirach, Mine is at 2.2% for E10. I have seen the same number posted on Yaris World for another 08 AT. ATL posted 6.1 for his 07 in the thread "Toyota Yaris in the drive" (It's a 1.5 L, 11.1 gallon tank.) cutoff is 24. Have fun.

msirach
08-12-2008, 07:20 AM
Did the trade last night late. Hooked up the Scangauges and drove around town a little. Coast was o.k. but didn't feel "clean". Checked the tire psi and they were at 45 more or less.:(
I pressed the tires up and that helped that a lot. This evening on the way to work, I will compare the coast to the HCHII on a the hills on my commute.

msirach
08-13-2008, 08:34 AM
I have the first commute under my belt. Left home at 4:30pm and returned home at 7:20a.m.

I see that I am going to have to get it back for a few days after this round! It has LOTS of potential. 48 miles last night @ 56.3mpg keeping the speed 50 to 55 mph on a 55 mph highway. Coasted great and the fuel cut would come in at that speed as well. It's not very smooth when it comes in. It feels like a lurch. I am having a little trouble with gently easing on the throttle also. I was a little rough on take offs. While rolling at a steady state, blip the throttle and watch the ign drop and the mpg rise.

It was 56 this morning when I left work. I started the car and it revved to 1600 rpm and then started rolling off slowly. I eased on the throttle and it stayed in 2nd gear until about 2400 rpm. ARRRGGGHHHH! At about 120 fwt, it became manageable. The trip home only yielded 51.4 mpg. I am going to look at a warm air intake and grill block mod today.

My biggest complaint about the car is the cupholder mounted to the left of the steering wheel in the black dash. I set my coke can in it while I filled it with gas and got a newspaper. When I returned, the can was hot! It would be great to have a built in warmer for coffee, but it doesn't work at all for cold drinks.

voodoo22
08-13-2008, 10:13 AM
Thanks for sharing this information. I don't have a scanguage so I can only get feedback at each fill which prevents me from seeing what I'm getting on the highway driving I do. The best I've done in our Yaris AT sedan so far is 53.39 US MPG over 531 miles of mixed daily driving which included mostly freeway driving.

I drive at 50-55 mph or 80-90 km/h on a 100 km/h stretch of hwy. I can't coast on this stretch as none of the hills are steep enough, but I find slowing down to 80 on the incline and getting back to 90 on the decline give me the best results. I never go over 90 km/h.

I'm wondering what psi you put your tires at? I'm at 50-52 psi.

I do all the standard stuff like no a/c, accelerate slowly, RR, leave a huge space in front of me, never use the brakes etc, but I'm interested to see if you find any information out which I could use at those hwy speeds on my commute.

msirach
08-13-2008, 10:29 AM
The tires were at 45psi when I picked it up. I bumped them up to 65psi and it increased the coast distance. I watch load at acceleration and it reduced some at the same take off rate.

If you have a lot of flat roads with a few gentle rolls, you could cruise at 50 to 55 mph and back off on the accelerator very, very gently. You will feel/hear the cars load lessen. When you get to the point that it is starting to slow down, GENTLY tap the throttle and you should feel a lurch/shudder/bump. At this point the fuel has cut-off. If you are getting 53 per tank now in mixed driving, a Scangauge would put you over the top. On the highway, it's much easier to get high mpg. In the city, it's much harder to get higher numbers without watching gauges. I will get better details as I go. I'm going to take a digital recorder to record more notes than I can write.

mark2908
08-13-2008, 09:34 PM
It was 56 this morning when I left work. I started the car and it revved to 1600 rpm and then started rolling off slowly. I eased on the throttle and it stayed in 2nd gear until about 2400 rpm. ARRRGGGHHHH! At about 120 fwt, it became manageable. The trip home only yielded 51.4 mpg. I am going to look at a warm air intake and grill block mod today.

I hope you'll post any warm up mod's or tricks you come up with. It has the same warm up cycle when it's 80 degrees too. Thank you!

msirach
08-14-2008, 02:06 AM
I'll post pics this week-end. It was crude, but effective. Saran wrap over the opening below the bumper and ran a hose from the intake box, around the engine to the heat shield over the exhaust. Intake air temps were 107 to 116 on the way to work. Drove the same at 50 to 55 mph and ended up at 61.1mpg. I am anxious to see how it helps in the morning.

msirach
08-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Started the car this morning in 60 temps. Revved to 2000rpm for 5to 10 seconds, rolled off a little and proceeded to slow down as the ect continued to rise. I sat and let it warm and watched the rpm versus temp. I rolled at 160. It didn't slow all the way to idle till about 184. and the fuel cut started working then.

Pulled into the drive at 62.3mpg.

voodoo22
08-15-2008, 08:50 AM
This is interesting. If you're able to get over 60 MPG using the scanguage, it might be worth it for me to get one afterall. It's starting to get cold now so I can feel my MPG dropping. Only 9 celsius or 48 F this morning. Thanks again for doing all this work, I look forward to benefitting from it =)

My commute involves about 50 kilometers of hwy each way on a very busy road. I can't P&G, but I can go 50-55 consistently as I often commute out of prime commuting times. I do the standard gentle starts, coasting to stoplights ICE off at long lights and the like, but wondering which tactics you are employing to get over 60MPG? I wonder if I could employ those on my commute and if so, I need to find a way to get a scanguage in Canada for a good price!

....oh are you using e10 gas? Unfortunately that's all that's available over here and could explain why you're getting over 60MPG and I'm not. I hope that's not it though.

RagingOrca
08-20-2008, 01:54 AM
What motor oil are you using? I read at YarisWorld that synthetic 5W-20 improved the mileage a few MPG, but have not tried it yet. And msirach, does the ride feel smooth at 65 psi? I was going to cap mine at 55, but if you're riding smooth, it's worth doing 65.

Copyright 2006 Clean MPG, LLC. All Rights Reserved.