Archives

View Full Version : 2008 Toyota Yaris in the drive!

xcel
08-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Hi All:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/2/Heather_s_Yaris.jpg

___And no, it is not mine :(

___My son’s GF just picked it up two days ago and after her first SG-II tank cal, I might be able to do some speed vs. FE testing later this month? I have no details other than the GY’s are at 44 psi all around, its an AT and per an uncal’ed SG-II (my son gave her his for a while?), she is holding between 42 and 45 mpg on the tank. Anyone know what the offsets for their AT equipped Yaris’ are? She dumped the GrandAm which was pulling in the mid 20’s and was junk.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

brick
08-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Sounds like she's a keeper to me?

Right Lane Cruiser
08-06-2008, 07:34 AM
That is one heck of an excellent upgrade! :D

voodoo22
08-06-2008, 08:13 AM
Hi All:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/2/Heather_s_Yaris.jpg

___And no, it is not mine :(

___My son’s GF just picked it up two days ago and after her first SG-II tank cal, I might be able to do some speed vs. FE testing later this month? I have no details other than the GY’s are at 44 psi all around, its an AT and per an uncal’ed SG-II (my son gave her his for a while?), she is holding between 42 and 45 mpg on the tank. Anyone know what the offsets for their AT equipped Yaris’ are? She dumped the GrandAm which was pulling in the mid 20’s and was junk.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Looking forward to you doing some testing on the Yaris.

We also have a Yaris AT, but it's a sedan. We don't have a scanguage so any information you could pull down for me would help me with knowing what cruising speed I should be aiming for on my commute. Currently I drive between 80-90 Km/h which is about 50-55 mph.

When you do collect some data, I hope I don't miss your post!

Thanks for the help and congratulations to your son's GF on picking up a great little car.

shifty35
08-06-2008, 04:41 PM
Excellent Wayne, now we can answer the questions about what a Yaris / Echo is really worth. ;)

An automatic one, at least.

ATL
08-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Anyone know what the offsets for their AT equipped Yaris’ are?

Wayne,
mine is currently at 6.1%

I love that color... really wish they had it in stock when I bought mine

brother
08-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Hey Wayne -- go man go!

I had a "Lava 1.0" Scion xD catch my eye real bad while in for sched. maint. on the 'Rolla today.

The xD is the 5-door Yaris you've wished for in other threads. No doubt a bit heavier than the Yaris, with longer WB and electric-everything, but still comparable. I believe the xD is EPA 26/32, but hey, anyone who couldn't get way way into the 40s isn't trying very hard. :rolleyes:

Can't wait to see your results. :D
-jon

ATL
08-07-2008, 04:23 PM
The xD is the 5-door Yaris you've wished for in other threads. No doubt a bit heavier than the Yaris, with longer WB and electric-everything,but the xD has a 1.8L not 1.5L engine

P.S. I got gas today and my 6.1% changed into 4.9% (SGII predicted 8.7 gal used, when I only took 8.594 gal)

xcel
08-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Hi ATL:

___Are you running top off to top off or first click and cycling around a given ScanGauge-II offset?

___Good Luck

___Wayne

ATL
08-07-2008, 04:56 PM
first click to first click, then I adjust the SGII each time I get gas

note: I have not gotten gas at the same pump 2 times in a few months, so it tends to fluctuate, oddly enough I don't think I've ever had it lower than 4.9 or higher than 6.1. If my gustimate is correct then my average % is around 5.4 or so (I normally blow thru that screen on the SGII as fast as I can so I don't tie up the gas pump for too long)

jimepting
08-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Great looking car. I'm all envy ;-)

My Echo, which I believe has nearly identical drive train, in running 7.5% offset. I get pretty fair accuracy at that value. I'm still refining a bit. Haven't yet used the spreadsheet, but intend to do so. I click off once, bounce the rear a bit, then click off again.

I tested for most efficient cruising speed. Conditions: cruise control governed constant speed, no wind, two way course. level (nearly) terrain. I was surprised to find that my most efficient cruising speed, without resort to hypermiling techniques, was around 40-45 MPH. That surprised me. It would be nice if the Yaris got that speed up to 50 MPH, so as not to waste so much driving time. Perhaps the slightly better aero will do that.

Look forward to what you learn!

SlowHands
08-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Found out yesterday that my sister that lives in Italy has a diesel Yaris for their family car... all FIVE of them fit just fine... she's getting about 60mpg and she really doesn't try for mpg. It sure would be nice if we could get those little diesels over here....

brother
08-08-2008, 08:07 AM
but the xD has a 1.8L not 1.5L engine

Sorry for my non-sequiter. My post made sense to me -- I was imagining my car (same engine) with a 5D Yaris body = xD.

xcel
08-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Hi All:

___I had the opportunity to take the Yaris out to go pick up Pizza. 11 miles RT and stop light to stop light like suburban driving. 53.8 non-cal’ed so maybe 50.5 actual? Without a stick and the ability to FAS, you are screwed :(

___ICE has plenty of pick up and the AT likes to shift up sooner than most AT’s I have driven. Try and stay below .8 gph and 1,700 RPM for accel’s appears to be a nice range for mild accel’s.

___You can feel fuel cut easily but the most important thing I saw is this 08 does not have the .03 gph bug while sitting in the drive ICE-Off vs. any other Toyota I have driven. I was using the pre-3.15 so even though I was running fuel cut at every slow down to a stop, it was still measuring fuel use.

___No real Hang time but speed limits were maxxed at 50 so I did not see anything. What does save the Yaris w/ AT is NICE-On’s. She will sit over 105 all the way down to 15 mph.

___41 – 44 mph will allow 60 + but any touch of the accel and that is all over. 53 at 50 was about the best I saw as well. The Accord will pull that so I was not to impressed.

___Turning radius is impressive as all get out! I could spin the 3-door around in a crowded driveway :)

___I can tell the sticks and possibly a FAS switch would make this thing absolutely dominate. The short ratios (even on the AT) are going to hamper its highway FE by a large amount given my first drive of it.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

brother
08-09-2008, 08:18 PM
53.8 non-cal’ed so maybe 50.5 actual? Without a stick and the ability to FAS, you are screwed
Wayne, in most people's book, 50+ in a conventional does not equal "screwed." :D
Great post; I hope you get to play with the Yaris some more.
-jon

voodoo22
08-10-2008, 06:17 AM
I don't have a scanguage, but have noticed you need to accelerate very gingerly in this car.

Hopefully you'll get to take it out for some highway driving so we can get some feedback on technique there.

Thanks for the effort Wayne.

ATL
08-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Hi All:

___I had the opportunity to take the Yaris out to go pick up Pizza. 11 miles RT and stop light to stop light like suburban driving. 53.8 non-cal’ed so maybe 50.5 actual? Without a stick and the ability to FAS, you are screwed :(

___ICE has plenty of pick up and the AT likes to shift up sooner than most AT’s I have driven. Try and stay below .8 gph and 1,700 RPM for accel’s appears to be a nice range for mild accel’s.

___You can feel fuel cut easily but the most important thing I saw is this 08 does not have the .03 gph bug while sitting in the drive ICE-Off vs. any other Toyota I have driven. I was using the pre-3.15 so even though I was running fuel cut at every slow down to a stop, it was still measuring fuel use.

___No real Hang time but speed limits were maxxed at 50 so I did not see anything. What does save the Yaris w/ AT is NICE-On’s. She will sit over 105 all the way down to 15 mph.

___41 – 44 mph will allow 60 + but any touch of the accel and that is all over. 53 at 50 was about the best I saw as well. The Accord will pull that so I was not to impressed.

___Turning radius is impressive as all get out! I could spin the 3-door around in a crowded driveway :)

___I can tell the sticks and possibly a FAS switch would make this thing absolutely dominate. The short ratios (even on the AT) are going to hamper its highway FE by a large amount given my first drive of it.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

when I am around 53 with a TPS of 21 and a small TSD I regularly see the IFCD around 56-59MPG

would an FAS switch work with an automatic?

jimepting
08-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Nice report Wayne. About same results I'm getting with Echo AT. I was interested in the techniques you discussed.

I kow about FAS'ing, but what is a FAS switch?

mark2908
08-10-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm so glad you got to go for pizza! I tried your rpm/ GPH numbers today, and got much better current trip numbers. (47 to 49 mpg!) Not much specific acceleration info out there for the AT Yaris. Thank you.

Project01SC2
08-10-2008, 04:58 PM
would an FAS switch work with an automatic?

It just depends on if the vehicle can be flat towed or not, generally I have noticed that 99% of autos cannot be. Maybe somebody will correct me on that last fact.

Hi jimepting,

It is just a switch to wire in to shut the injectors off without shutting the whole vehicle off. There are a few posts about it on the site.

YarSwiss
08-10-2008, 07:02 PM
Of course Wayne will come back with some highway testing, but I find I can get up to 90 mpg when around 20tps on a flat grade at around 55mph. 52-55 mph at 22 tps returns the best average miles. I frequently see around 65-75 mpg when doing this on flat highway driving. Sadly, my commute is mostly uphill, so my average SGII mpg is about 52 at the moment.

ATL
08-11-2008, 04:35 PM
It just depends on if the vehicle can be flat towed or not, generally I have noticed that 99% of autos cannot be. Maybe somebody will correct me on that last fact. that is what I thought, and the AT yaris can not be flat towed

YarSwiss
08-11-2008, 09:33 PM
that is what I thought, and the AT yaris can not be flat towed

So does this mean FAS is a no-no? I have ridden with ICE off in neutral for miles on end and have had no averse reactions with over 40k miles on my car so far. How does this harm the car, or the AT?

mark2908
08-11-2008, 10:49 PM
So does this mean FAS is a no-no? I have ridden with ICE off in neutral for miles on end and have had no averse reactions with over 40k miles on my car so far. How does this harm the car, or the AT?

I FAS'ed for a while in my LB too before reading several threads on this site and others. The gist of the problem is that, fluids are not pumped thru the AT ICE off. During a FAS the internal parts of the transmission are still moving without fluid flow. This may cause frictional damage. Every one gives the same answer... if the car is not "flat towable" it can't FAS. I looked hard for a contradiction to this because FASing in the Yaris AT sure was fun!:o The ONLY ray of hope (which I haven't had time to confirm) was one post by an Echo owner who stated his owners manual said the Echo could be flat towed up to 30 miles in an emergency. (at under 30 mph) If this is true, it may be worth comparing the drive train similarities. It is interesting that you have not had problems in 40k miles.

YarSwiss
08-11-2008, 11:02 PM
I FAS'ed for a while in my LB too before reading several threads on this site and others. The gist of the problem is that, fluids are not pumped thru the AT ICE off. During a FAS the internal parts of the transmission are still moving without fluid flow. This may cause frictional damage. Every one gives the same answer... if the car is not "flat towable" it can't FAS. I looked hard for a contradiction to this because FASing in the Yaris AT sure was fun!:o The ONLY ray of hope (which I haven't had time to confirm) was one post by an Echo owner who stated his owners manual said the Echo could be flat towed up to 30 miles in an emergency. (at under 30 mph) If this is true, it may be worth comparing the drive train similarities. It is interesting that you have not had problems in 40k miles.

Yeah, that is strange because I haven't had a single problem (of course, none that can be seen). I wonder if transmission wear is covered under the warranty? If my trans fails at, say, 75k, and I have warranty for that, do you think it will be covered?

mark2908
08-12-2008, 12:18 AM
Warranty? :eek: After reading your post, I just downloaded the 2002 and 2005 Echo owners manuals. Then compared them to the 08 Yaris manual. Echo reads just like Yaris in the towing section. Under the "towing eyelet" as well.

"If a towing service is not available in
an emergency, your vehicle may be
temporarily towed by a cable or chain
secured to either the emergency towing
eyelet on the front of the vehicle or to
the right emergency towing eyelet under
the rear of the vehicle. Use extreme
caution when towing vehicles.
Vehicles with an automatic transmission,
use only the front towing eyelet
when towing your vehicle."

"Towing in this manner may be done only
on hard- surfaced roads for a short distance
and at low speeds. Also, the
wheels, axles, drive train, steering and
brakes must all be in good condition"

Pretty vague, and a little off topic but wouldn't a tow to the gas station be a FAS?

msirach
08-23-2008, 07:28 PM
I am off work for a few days now so I will get the drive report completed. Next Friday I will have to change this to: 2009 Scion XB in the Drive. Another local guy heard what I did with the Yaris and wants to see what I can do with his XB.

xcel
08-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Hi Mark:

___Sounds limited FAS’able to me…

___Mike, funny ;)

___I just got back from a 12 mile RT in the AT equipped Yaris and pulled a 64.1 out and 65.2 back on an uncal’ed ScanGauge-II. Probably 62 actual RT?

___Good Luck

___Wayne

YarSwiss
08-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Hi Mark:

___Mike, funny ;)

___I just got back from a 12 mile RT in the AT equipped Yaris and pulled a 64.1 out and 65.2 back on an uncal’ed ScanGauge-II. Probably 62 actual RT?

___Good Luck

___Wayne

My god Wayne, how the hell do you do it? I can barely pull 55mpg on the SGII without using FAS. If ever you come to California, you have got to show me your "mad skillz" :p

xcel
08-23-2008, 09:24 PM
Hi Jaume:

___I used some slower speed FAS' this time around...

___Good Luck

___Wayne

YarSwiss
08-24-2008, 04:15 AM
Hi Jaume:

___I used some slower speed FAS' this time around...

___Good Luck

___Wayne

Ah! I understand, it's truly tempting...

jimepting
08-24-2008, 08:04 AM
The ONLY ray of hope (which I haven't had time to confirm) was one post by an Echo owner who stated his owners manual said the Echo could be flat towed up to 30 miles in an emergency. (at under 30 mph) If this is true, it may be worth comparing the drive train similarities. It is interesting that you have not had problems in 40k miles.

I think I'm the guy who probably posted this. Referring to emergency flat towing, in this case towing by the tow hook, the AT Echo manual says, "Towing in this manner may be done only on hard-surfaced roads for short distance and at low speeds ." Read your manual very carefully. It took me a while to find the statement.

I think you are correct that fluid flow is compromised in the AT when the engine is off. But lubricants have strong retention on metal parts. I personally believe that there is adequate lube for SHORT LOWSPEED fas sections. Manufacturers are notoriously conservative on items where they might have to do warranty work ;) But, there would be significant risk if one made a habit of frequent high speed fas 'ing. I fas some, but not at high speed. I've been doing it for about 6 months with no adverse effects. I feel safe, but obviously I can speak definitively on the subject.

voodoo22
08-24-2008, 03:16 PM
I can't help but wonder if I could hit 60mpg on a tank if I had a scan guage. I won't fas on a car which isn't flat towable since I drive mostly highway, but I will nice-on coast. I already have my tires at 52 psi, drive between 80-90km/h or 50-55 mph, I can't p&g as there's too much traffic. I basically never use my brakes, drive so defensively and rr. Don't use the a/c or even the fan, allow the speed to bleed down about 10 km/h while going up hills. I employ dfco whenever possible and turn off the engine at longer lights (over 10-15 seconds), accelerate as lightly as possible from a stop and never idle. Most of these things are common sense, but I am trying to outline everything I'm trying in case I'm missing some techniques and maybe I've forgotten some methods I employ.

Unfortunately, since the Yaris AT isn't flat towable I won't fas and I (like most people) will never consider drafting. The worst part of my commute is the exit out of our parkade where I have to stop, wait for the door to open, and then drive up a very steeply graded driveway.

I have to use e10 as we don't had a choice around here.

The last tank I got a new best 53.7 US MPG over 572 miles or 921kms as I really stayed vigilante with going light on the gas pedal and I started nice-on whenever possible (about 3 kms on a couple hills) and the morning weather was cool so I feel that I could get over 54MPG, but I'm wondering if you guys using a scanguage in the Yaris think the sgII would allow me to get over 60 US MPG on a tank considering my 52km commute is 50 kms of highway and that I cannot p&g on my commute and won't risk fas'ing in this car on the highway.

After taxes etc a sgII would set us back $200 in Canada and I just can't justify that kind of expense if I'm not going to be able to earn the cost back.

Thanks for the feedback and for posting your findings with the sgII and the Yaris AT.

msirach
08-24-2008, 04:45 PM
I didn't FAS any. I did coast in neutral. A ScanGauge is a MUST. You can learn the feel with the Scangauge and the replicate without (maybe.) The Scangauge can answer many questions if you study it. Load, throttle, ignition are three good points to look at. I used 2 end to end to add mph,rpm, and mpg in front of me also. With the grill block and hot air intake, the other two points read intake air temp an water temp.

mark2908
08-24-2008, 11:01 PM
I think I'm the guy who probably posted this. Referring to emergency flat towing, in this case towing by the tow hook, the AT Echo manual says, "Towing in this manner may be done only on hard-surfaced roads for short distance and at low speeds ." Read your manual very carefully. It took me a while to find the statement.

Sorry jimepting for the loose quote (or misquote.) I couldn't find the original thread. The Yaris manual does contain the same language and it is interesting. Slow FAS's may be in my future.

Thanks Wayne and Msirach for all the great Yaris info. Inspiring!

drummerboy2004
09-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Hi Mark:

___Mike, funny ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

Hey Wayne,

I am new to this site, and slightly new to the FE stuff. I am wondering some other things I can do in the Auto Yaris liftback to improve my FE. I know a little about some of the easier techniques, but have not ever used anything more than driving like I do not have brakes. Is it better in this car to just take my foot off of the accelerator or coast in neutral? I have been using 50 MPH as my cruising speed. Is there a better speed to use than this? I do not have a SG, but I do plan on buying one when the funds permit in the near future. Oh, and in this car, doesn't the DFCO just start when you take your foot completely off of the accelerator, or do I have to do any shifting like I have heard in other forums? Thank you, for any help you can give.

Matt

xcel
09-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Hi Matt:

___Welcome to CleanMPG and you own one hell of a car to begin with! I am a bit jealous if you didn’t catch my drift :)

___Where do you live as we may be able to set you up with a Clinic as it is about the fastest way to get you “Moving Forward” (no pun intended towards the Toyota Motor Corporation ;)).

___How many miles on your Yaris, have you had an oil change yet, have you pressed up your tires, have you read the Why’s and How’s yet? Lots of questions but the Yaris will give you 50 + without even breathing hard if you want it and it will do so in a fun and great looking vehicle to boot!

___Good Luck

___Wayne

drummerboy2004
09-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Hi Matt:

___Welcome to CleanMPG and you own one hell of a car to begin with! I am a bit jealous if you didn’t catch my drift :)

___Where do you live as we may be able to set you up with a Clinic as it is about the fastest way to get you “Moving Forward” (no pun intended towards the Toyota Motor Corporation ;)).

___How many miles on your Yaris, have you had an oil change yet, have you pressed up your tires, have you read the Why’s and How’s yet? Lots of questions but the Yaris will give you 50 + without even breathing hard if you want it and it will do so in a fun and great looking vehicle to boot!

___Good Luck

___Wayne

Wayne,

I live in Tampa, Florida, and thank you for the introduction. I have about 7000 on my Yaris, so I have had one oil change. I did notice the post-break-in jump in MPG too. I have not done anything with my tires, and I am pretty sure they are always at factory specs. I have not read the whys and hows... I am actually not sure what you are referring to. I did read the section on all of the different techniques, but it seemed that many of them do not work for my Yaris. Yeah, and the Yaris is long on looks, but the price to MPG ratio is why I got it though. Win Win.

Matt

Copyright 2006 Clean MPG, LLC. All Rights Reserved.