Archives

View Full Version : P&G in Yaris

YarSwiss
08-04-2008, 08:12 PM
I am tired of "only" getting 45-47 MPG in my Yaris, and I want to take it to the next level so I have started doing pulse and glide while on the freeway.

Now, I have heard that the Yaris cannot be flat-towed, and thus p&g should not be done with it. I worry that I am somehow slowly destroying my engine when coasting in neutral.

Anyone have some sort of documentation that answers whether it does/doesn't cause any damage?

JusBringIt
08-04-2008, 08:13 PM
coasting in neutral causes no damage. If it's the AT, then Coasting ICE off may cause damage to your transmission.

YarSwiss
08-05-2008, 10:13 AM
coasting in neutral causes no damage. If it's the AT, then Coasting ICE off may cause damage to your transmission.

Why would that be? The oonly problem I see is if I were coasting with ICE off and I keyed it back on, and then changed to Drive too quickly, it might wear out the gears. Other than that, do you know what harm it does?

A024523
08-05-2008, 11:03 AM
If you are not "flat-towable" that means your transmission fluid pump is off when the ICE is off, and even in neutral there are still parts moving in your AT during FAS . But NICE-on coasting is no problem, and going from neutral back to drive at highway speeds is not significany wear on your AT, but if is not smooth, try rev-matching the RPMs to make a smoother transition. Many folks, including Wayne himself have logged over 100,000 miles without evidence of AT damange from doing this. And this was definitely my ticket to breaking that 50 MPG barrier. Good luck with that!

Copyright 2006 Clean MPG, LLC. All Rights Reserved.