Archives

View Full Version : Echo Error code P0171

Xringer
07-16-2008, 06:29 PM
My sister-in-law had a problem with her 2000 Echo and didn't want to bug me
and took it to a gas station garage.
The error code P0171 (too lean) was found and the shop changed her O2 sensors. $$$$

The check engine light comes back on a week later and the guy is stumped. He resets the code.

Since the car needs inspection in July, and the check engine light is about half the time
and the engine has been running rough and is hard to start when cold etc,
she breaks down and comes to me. (Since I told her I have a scan gauge now)!

I read the OBD code P0171 (too lean) and look it up on the web.
In about 20 seconds I found out that the most likely problem is dirty sensor
wires in the MAF sensor. One website even shows before and after pics of the wires.

I pulled the MAP sensor off (two screws) and sure nuff, it was gummed up just like in the pics!
One of my cans of spray stuff said 'Starting fluid'. I checked it out and it worked like a cleaner
on some junk parts. Didn't melt rubber, so I sprayed the sensor wires until they looked like new.

After 50 trouble free miles, she passed inspection and today reported that her old Echo is
running like when it was new.. Plus, she got 47 MPG on her last tank.. :)

Here are some postings I just found.. http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t9206.html
same info. The pics are about 2/3 down the page.

On the Echo maf unit, I also noticed another device that wasn't inside next to the others.
It was off to the side and looked a bit like a thermistor. I assumed it was the Intake Air temperature. It also needed a good cleaning.

She seems to be very pleased with the better MPG now.. So I'm wondering if anyone here has cleaned their maf wires up and got a boost in fe?

Shrek
07-17-2008, 04:00 AM
No, but I sure will try - if I can find it. My SG does not show MAF or MAP, but I think there are some sensors in addition to temperature in there.

2way
08-12-2008, 11:14 AM
CRC's Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner... great stuff! You have to be careful with what you clean the MAF with. Preferably the CRC MAF cleaner. Lesser preferred alternatives are: non-residue electronics cleaner, or non-residue non- chlorine brake cleaner. Carb cleaner will leave a residue & mess it up.

I make MAF cleaning a normal part of my maintenance routine @ every 15K miles. It is even more important if you are using an oiled air filter.

Yes, the thermistor is the IAT Intake Air Temp sensor..

Xringer
08-12-2008, 06:25 PM
CRC's Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner... great stuff! You have to be careful with what you clean the MAF with. Preferably the CRC MAF cleaner. Lesser preferred alternatives are: non-residue electronics cleaner, or non-residue non- chlorine brake cleaner. Carb cleaner will leave a residue & mess it up.

I make MAF cleaning a normal part of my maintenance routine @ every 15K miles. It is even more important if you are using an oiled air filter.

Yes, the thermistor is the IAT Intake Air Temp sensor..

I got to get me some of that stuff! The guys at the local Auto Zone gave me a weird look when I asked for MAF spray cleaner..
Just like the time when I asked them for some good quality manual transmission lube..

http://www.crcindustries.com/catalog/images/Cleaners%20and%20Degreasers/05110.jpg

At last report, that little Echo was getting over 40 MPG mixed..

2way
08-13-2008, 09:11 AM
^AutoZones local to us are now carrying it. I've seen it on the shelves. You can also find it at some of the smaller jobber suppliers. I know Autopart International carries it. The closest one to you is in Reading.

Stuff works really well. You don't need much. One can will last a long time.

MAF readings are top priority for the Toyota injector duty cycle. The MAF is also how LOD is determined.

For your tranny oil for the Toyota.... Redline MT-90.... also great stuff.

Xringer
08-13-2008, 04:24 PM
I plan to do maintenance on my wife's Toyota before this fall,
so I'll check the Woburn AutoZone again.. If they don't have it,
I've got some other stuff I can try out.. :rolleyes:

2way
08-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Non-residue electronics cleaner and non-residue/non-chlorinated brake cleaners are the non-preferred alternatives.

BTW, don't use the M-1 75W-90 synthetic gear lube for the manual tranny. Use Redline's MT-90 or a GL-4 rated lube oil.

Xringer
08-18-2008, 05:29 PM
BTW, don't use the M-1 75W-90 synthetic gear lube for the manual tranny. Use Redline's MT-90 or a GL-4 rated lube oil.

The Toyota has an AT, I was looking for lube for my old Honda CRV.
After visiting and calling a bunch of auto supply places (and a couple of speed shops),
I realized that I was one of very few people in the greater Boston area that ever
asked for manual tranny lube. Since no one had any. One shop said they could order some
at $10 or $12 a quart.

So, I pleasantly surprised when my local Honda dealer didn't rip me off for OEM MT lube..
However, during the last few weeks, I've started to notice shifting isn't near as smooth
as it was during the first 32,000 miles.. A little stickiness when going into 3rd etc..

I hear that GM Syncromesh stuff is pretty good..

Copyright 2006 Clean MPG, LLC. All Rights Reserved.