Archives

View Full Version : Britainís Green Car of the year award winner is NOT the USí Green Car of the Year.

xcel
06-15-2008, 09:31 AM
The dichotomy continues… (http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?p=108861)

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2008_Toyota_Yaris_3-Door_Hatch.jpgWayne Gerdes - CleanMPG (www.cleanmpg.com) - June 15, 2008

2008 Toyota Yaris – 29/39 mpgUS city/highway on the 08 EPA.

With gasoline and diesel prices rising to the ridiculous in Europe ($9.00 + $USD), Britain’s Environmental Transport Agency (ETA) awarded Toyota’s Yaris the overall winner in its own Green Car of the Year award. The ETA looked at over 1300 models available in Britain and examined their power, emissions, fuel efficiency and even the amount of noise they produce to create the definitive guide to buying the greenest vehicle.

The Yaris that won is not quite the Yaris available in the US as it is equipped with Toyota’s 1.4L D-4D diesel engine. With an overall average fuel economy rating of 52.2 mpgUS and 58.8 mpgUS highway, is it any wonder it was looked upon so highly? The only US vehicle available that can come close to matching the Yaris' low fuel consumption is also a Toyota. That being the Prius.

Other winners include:

Super Mini|Toyota Yaris
Small Family|Honda Civic Hybrid
Small MPV|Renault Modus
City|CitroŽn C1, Peugeot 107 and Toyota Aygo
Large Family|BMW 3 Series E90/E91/E92/E93
Sports|Vauxhall Tigra, MY2008 2 Door Convertible
MPV|Peugeot 207 SW OUTDOOR
Exectutive|BMW 5 Series E60/E61
Offroad|Toyota RAV4
Luxury|Jaguar Cars XJ

Not withstanding, Britain also has a Worst Vehicle of the year rating according to the ETA. What could it be? Drum roll please … Let us introduce Dodge’s own Viper SRT10 as the worst vehicle available in Great Britain. With its 8.2L V10 engine and a whopping 13.2 mpgUS combined as measured on the Euro Urban/Extra Urban test cycles, could our automotive industry be any more “out of touch” both here in the US and overseas as measured against the best that Europe has to offer?

While the Britain Green Car of the Year makes sense in an ever increasing fuel price environment and carbon constrained world, the US’ own Green Car of the Year as awarded last November at Los Angeles Autoshow seems out of step? Our own Green Car of the Year was awarded to the 21 mpgUS combined Chevrolet Tahoe 2-Mode as judged by the Green Car Journal, Jay Leno, Carroll Shelby and the executive director of the Sierra Club, among others. Could the results be any more dissimilar and do anything but cause embarrassment to the US yet again :(

BailOut
06-15-2008, 10:05 AM
While I am glad to see a much better green car selection in the UK it is also another poke in the eye of all North American Yaris owners. Everyone else in the world gets both the gasoline 1.3L and 1.4L D-4D options while we are stuck with only the over-sized 1.5L gasoline engine.

One of the members of YarisWorld is a young Dutch lady that drives a D-4D Yaris now that she has bequeathed her 1.3L gasoline Yaris to her boyfriend. Neither is a hypermiler but they crank out some impressive numbers, with the D4D regularly hitting 50+ MPG under "normal" driving.

I also see the Toyota Aygo on that list. This is a vehicle that you can get just about everywhere except North America.

Toyota has been mulling bringing the iQ over in order to compete with the Smart Fortwo but early mutterings mention that it would be hobbled (efficiency-wise, I mean... the 1NZ-FE engine is a tried and true workhorse) with the same 1.5L gasoline engine that's in my Yaris while everyone else around the world currently gets a choice between the 1L i3 and 1.3L i4 options.

*sigh*

Bruce
06-15-2008, 11:41 AM
Same with the Corolla...1.8l here, 1.4l available elsewhere. :(

worthywads
06-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Not withstanding, Britain also has a Worst Vehicle of the year rating according to the ETA. What could it be? Drum roll please Ö Let us introduce Dodgeís own Viper SRT10 as the worst vehicle available in Great Britain. With its 8.2L V10 engine and a whopping 13.2 mpgUS combined as measured on the Euro Urban/Extra Urban test cycles...

...as judged by the Green Car Journal, Jay Leno, Carroll Shelby...

Jay owns a Viper SRT10.

lamebums
06-15-2008, 01:48 PM
If I ever get enough money I'm importing a European diesel.

I'd probably save the cost of fuel in a few short months if gas prices go high enough.

brick
06-15-2008, 01:50 PM
I think it's funny that they consider the BMW 3-series a large family car. Ever sit in the back of one of those?

voodoo22
06-15-2008, 02:02 PM
I think it's funny that they consider the BMW 3-series a large family car. Ever sit in the back of one of those?

There's actually a lot more room in the latest generation, but this label isn't so much based on size but based on the fact that a large family isn't going to waste money on a vehicle bigger than a 3-series as everything you need can fit in a 3 if you plan it out and don't pack with a forklift like we do in North America.

voodoo22
06-15-2008, 02:10 PM
While I am glad to see a much better green car selection in the UK it is also another poke in the eye of all North American Yaris owners. Everyone else in the world gets both the gasoline 1.3L and 1.4L D-4D options while we are stuck with only the over-sized 1.5L gasoline engine.

One of the members of YarisWorld is a young Dutch lady that drives a D-4D Yaris now that she has bequeathed her 1.3L gasoline Yaris to her boyfriend. Neither is a hypermiler but they crank out some impressive numbers, with the D4D regularly hitting 50+ MPG under "normal" driving.

I also see the Toyota Aygo on that list. This is a vehicle that you can get just about everywhere except North America.

Toyota has been mulling bringing the iQ over in order to compete with the Smart Fortwo but early mutterings mention that it would be hobbled (efficiency-wise, I mean... the 1NZ-FE engine is a tried and true workhorse) with the same 1.5L gasoline engine that's in my Yaris while everyone else around the world currently gets a choice between the 1L i3 and 1.3L i4 options.

*sigh*

Don't forget about the 1.0l engine which is rated at 22 kms per litre or over 51mpg or the intelligent idling stop system which offers over 57 MPG!

Just check out this link:

http://toyota.jp/vitz/dynamism/engin/index.html

Where are these options here in NA? Hopefully they are on their way so that numbers like only hypermillers get today become the norm.

kwj
06-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Chevy is supposed to be offering the Aveo with the 1.5 L and a smaller engine this year. Anybody know if they did it?

ATL
06-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Don't forget about the 1.0l engine which is rated at 22 kms per litre or over 51mpg or the intelligent idling stop system which offers over 57 MPG!

Just check out this link:

http://toyota.jp/vitz/dynamism/engin/index.html

Where are these options here in NA? Hopefully they are on their way so that numbers like only hypermillers get today become the norm.I don't understand why all cars don't have intelligent, it is such a simple idea that could save so much fuel... the golf cart i was in yesterday had it....

2003protege
06-16-2008, 07:46 AM
Our own Green Car of the Year was awarded to the 21 mpgUS combined Chevrolet Tahoe 2-Mode as judged by the Green Car Journal, Jay Leno, Carroll Shelby and the executive director of the Sierra Club, among others.

I wish I hadn't read that...

lightfoot
06-16-2008, 09:28 AM
Jay owns a Viper SRT10.
Doesn't Jay Leno own one of most everything automotive?

Copyright 2006 Clean MPG, LLC. All Rights Reserved.