Archives

View Full Version : 2009 Corolla 1.8L manual tranny

brother
05-22-2008, 07:36 PM
I bought one Monday, and I am very pleased. My aplolgies to y'all in the 'introductions' forum who were
excited about my getting a Yaris, but I could not pass this Corolla up. Having done my internet
research, I knew the dealer had the car in stock, and my reasoning was that they'd be more likely to
deal on a car on their lot than one they would have to transport in. Plus, I knew exactly what this car was
-- a redheaded stepchild (to most people anyway). I mean, who wants a sedan with a manual tranny?
Well, we do, you & I, but we are a minority, I'd think. I'm surprised they had it on their lot at all.

And I was right about it being undesirable in the eyes of most. They wanted it out of there, and fast.
It had been test driven once at most. Their test-drive circuit is 5 miles or so, and the car had 7 miles
on it when I took delivery! :woot:

The more I drive this car, the better it gets. This thing is a hypermiler's dream, like they had that in
mind when they designed it. Of course, I have limited experience with hypermiling, but this evening
on the way home, at the crest of a hill with a downhill mile ahead of me, I thought, "why not?"
Took it out of gear and cut the engine. Hmm... no power steering, but not bad. Then I remembered
something about electric power steering. Turned the key back up to ign, and bingo! Power steering
without the engine running! :D It also stores vacuum or whatever for the power brakes in case your
engine dies, so you'll still have power brakes. hehe
Maybe they all do those things nowadays, I dunno. But I'm glad this one does. I see great FE in my
future. :D

The first day or two it idled at 1000 rpm. Figured I'd get them to adjust that down some. But now I
guess the ECU is settling in and it idles at 750 - 800 now. Better.

The engine is a little noisy to me but I expected that out of a small engine, especially after being
accustomed to the smooth quiet of my 4.7L V8 Tundra.

One thing I truly dislike is not being able to see the limits of the car from my driving position. The
hood drops off so sharply I can't tell where the front of the car is, and the back deck is so high I can't
see to back up. And I am tall.

Speaking of being tall, the telescoping wheel is a real bonus. One of my main gripes about the
small Toyotas was the driving position they forced me into, well one of two uncomfortable
positions -- driving with my arms bent (like God intended), but with my knees bent double (and my
right knee crammed against the panel), or with my legs comfortable, but with my arms stretched out
straight. The telescoping wheel solves all that.

The fuel filler is up so high that I can see right down into it, so I can keep filling until I actually
see fuel. :D I'll always know when my tank is full to the top, taking some error out of the equation.

That's about all I can think of for now. I'll be filling up again sometime next week, and then we'll see
how the car & I are doing. :)

-jon

Happy HX
05-22-2008, 09:58 PM
Congradulations on your wise purchase. I'd be very interested in your mileage figures on future fill ups and on your rpm level at some highway cruising speed.

Also curious, if you don't mind sharing, on how much your dealer took off the retail price with gas prices as they are and this being a very desireable car in terms of FE, reliability, resale, safety, etc, but cars not selling that well in general now?
Thanks

brother
05-23-2008, 06:04 AM
Hi Hap.

Yeah, the engine turns right at 2500 RPM in fifth gear @ 60 mph. For adequate torque driving over
the terrain I have here, which is hilly/rolling (hardly any level ground) I need to keep the RPM
above 2000 or I feel like I'm lugging the engine.

As to price, I offered $1850 off of retail just as a test, the sales manager came back with 1550 off retail;
I pulled the trigger at that point. :D I've never known Toyota as being very willing to deal; I consider
this discount as a sign of auto sales being slow, and the fact that my car has no options. That'll
hurt me at resale time, but I needed a car as cheap as I could get it. I didn't want to buy a car
right now, I just had to with gas like it is. Anyway, the standard feature set on this car is rich enough
that I can live without the options.

-jon

PaleMelanesian
05-23-2008, 08:44 AM
Good choice. It can do well with any amount of hypermiling techniques.

I know you're used to the power of a big V8, but try to get used to running this car at low rpm. If you aim for about 2,000 rpm, you'll see the rewards at the gas pump.

Daox
05-23-2008, 09:31 AM
Hello brother, very nice car indeed. Congratulations on the purchase.

I would like to mention that filling up the tank to the point that gas is in the filler neck is not good for mileage. The tank is designed to use extra space.

brother
05-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Good choice. It can do well with any amount of hypermiling techniques.

I know you're used to the power of a big V8, but try to get used to running this car at low rpm. If you aim for about 2,000 rpm, you'll see the rewards at the gas pump.

I'll try keeping it as low as I can. My terrain dictates keeping a certain amount of
momentum up, but once I get used to the car I can probably get the rpm down some. :)

Thanks all for the congrats & encouragement. :cool:

I would like to mention that filling up the tank to the point that gas is in the filler neck is not good for mileage. The tank is designed to use extra space.

Well, that bites. I had hoped for that level of precision I mentioned at every fill-up.
Ah well, it's always something... :rolleyes: ;)
-jon

atlaw4u
05-23-2008, 11:40 AM
Congratulations on the new car. You may want to start with this article (http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1510) if you haven't already read through it.

Also, make sure your tires are aired up to the maximum pressure indicated on the tire’s sidewall.

brother
05-23-2008, 05:52 PM
Congratulations on the new car. You may want to start with this article (http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1510) if you haven't already read through it.

Also, make sure your tires are aired up to the maximum pressure indicated on the tire’s sidewall.

Thanks. That document you mention is one of the first things I sought out at this site until I found it.
I'd just heard about hypermiling and I knew the techniques had to be outlined here at this site somewhere.
I printed it out and passed it around at work. It's like a bible! :D Learned a lot from it.

As to tire pressure, that will happen this weekend after I go get my Tundra & bring it home from where
I have it parked (the pump & gauge are in it.).

Again, thanks much!
:)
-jon

brother
05-23-2008, 06:52 PM
Hey HappyHX, one more bit of info.
I had to get on the interstate today.
We're running 3000 RPM @ 70 MPH, FYI.
And I'll ammend that 2500 @ 60 MPH to 2550-2600 @ 60. Just trying to be as precise as possible. ;)
ok
-jon

brother
05-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Hey, Andrew, RE: lower RPM.

You are right. I had to go to the city today, where you can never really get into overdrive.
1500 to 2000 RPM did not seem like lugging the engine at all in the lower gears.
Way to go -- thanks! :D

-j

Happy HX
05-25-2008, 05:01 PM
Hi Jon,
Thanks for the great info on rpm at mph.
I was surprised at how well you did on negotiating with the dealer. Great deal. :woot: Yes many people want to get power windows, pdl, etc which helps people like you and me when we go to buy the base model, which as we know is very well equiped, and possibly get better mpg with less weight.

brother
05-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Hi Jon,
Thanks for the great info on rpm at mph.

Hey, no problem. I'm more than happy to provide any info I can. This is an adventure for me. :D

I was surprised at how well you did on negotiating with the dealer. Great deal. :woot: Yes many people want to get power windows, pdl, etc which helps people like you and me when we go to buy the base model, which as we know is very well equiped, and possibly get better mpg with less weight.

Hey thanks. I just decided that the worst that could happen is he could say, "No." No problem.
I could have bought a Yaris and would still be having an adventure right now.

I guess the thing about the base models is finding them, since, like you say, most people want all
the bells / whistles. I believe when you find one, that can work to your advantage. For now anyway...

I'm still discovering how nicely equipped my base 'Rolla (http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11340) is. :D
(see my second post in that thread) . . . . . . . . ^^^^^^^^^^^

Copyright 2006 Clean MPG, LLC. All Rights Reserved.