Archives

View Full Version : Next Prius to go turbo?

Sledge
06-06-2006, 09:05 AM
In its efforts to come up with a car that blends economy, low emissions and performance at an affordable price, Toyota has decided to use a lean-burn 1.8-litre turbo engine. Meanwhile, the THS-II hybrid system will be upgraded with efficient lithium ion batteries, which will allow the electric motor to deliver greater performance because the cells recharge quickly and hold more power for longer.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/68124/prius_to_be_given_turbo_boost.html

AZBrandon
06-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Why in the universe would they go to both a larger engine and forced induction at the same time? Does the Prius really need a 150hp engine? You've got to be kidding me, if anything, turbocharging should be combined with engine downsizing, not upsizing. I would say this article is flat out wrong.

brick
06-07-2006, 06:18 AM
A 1.8 litre lean-burn turbo engine to go in their small non-hybrid cars I would believe. It could be that we are really looking at two distinct drivetrains that have been erroneously garbled into one.

xcel
06-07-2006, 06:52 AM
Hi All:

___I have to believe this “rumor” is in error. Toyota could lean burn the 1.5 w/ a Turbo and receive another 10% vs. the 1.8? Something seems amiss given you do not gain FE by moving up in the displacement ranks. The Prius’ performance comes from HSD, not the very efficient atkinsonized Echo 1.5L ICE. With an even more powerful Li-Ion pack (rumor) and smarter MGSets (rumor of a geared/clutched MG1), I could understand a lean burn capable 1.0 - 1.3 w/ a turbo as a better match for the Prius III then a 1.8? It will be interesting to finally receive the details once they are officially released.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

Sledge
06-07-2006, 09:33 AM
A low pressure turbo tuned right could add several MPG. It's a shame it's not more popular with manufacturers.

I'd bet we'll see this more often since recently some company whose name I forget has introduced a material that can withstand the heat of a turbo so as to create a variable exhaust vane system to improve turbo performance and efficiency. It first appeared on the Porsche 911 Turbo and I think the Acura RDX mini SUV has it too.

Copyright 2006 Clean MPG, LLC. All Rights Reserved.