Truckmakers embrace hybrid revolution

Discussion in 'Commerical Transportation' started by xcel, Apr 9, 2008.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

The spotlight of hybrid vehicle technology has so far shone mainly on cars, but new diesel-electric trucks are taking the agricultural community in North America by storm, with around 1,000 expected sales this year.

[xfloat=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/Peterbilt_386_hybrid_truck.jpg[/xfloat]Von Bernard Simon - FT Germany - April 8, 2008

Peterbilt and Eaton have been integrated a hybrid drivetrain into an aerodynamically styled heavy-duty truck for superior fuel efficiency.

What surprises me is that the European’s have not lead the effort with diesel fuel in some cases double the cost of ours? -- Ed.

Move over, Prius. While the spotlight of hybrid vehicle technology has so far shone mainly on cars, such as the popular Toyota hatchback, a growing number of diesel-electric trucks are set to appear on North American roads in coming months.

International Truck and Engine, owned by Illinois-based Navistar, expects to sell about 1,000 medium-sized hybrid trucks this year. Peterbilt and Kenworth, two brands owned by Paccar, based near Seattle, are set to launch their first hybrid models in coming months.

A prototype heavy-duty hybrid truck, developed by Navistar in partnership with Cummins, an engine maker, and ArvinMeritor, a maker of axles and brake systems, is targeted to be on the road by the end of the year.

"Definite interest"

"The market is unfolding cautiously, but there is definite interest," says Michael Delaney, senior VP at Daimler Trucks' North American unit, the continent's biggest truck maker. Daimler so far has 3,000 hybrid trucks in operation worldwide.

The activity is driven partly by fuel costs. The average diesel price in the US soared above $4 a gallon recently, according to the AAA motoring organization. Tightening engine emission standards and growing talk of fuel-economy standards for trucks, similar to those already in force for cars, have also spurred interest in fuel-efficient vehicles. … [rm]http://www.ftd.de/karriere_management/business_english/:Business%20English%20Truckmakers/340131.html[/rm]

2. Shiba3420

Shiba3420 Well-Known Member

That's the kind of great news I love to read. Even if they are not cost effective yet, a few years should change that and companies investing in the long haul should help cover those years. I just hope they do what cars haven't....futureproofed, so newer battery tech can be easily integrated as it becomes available (and needed).

3. swoon

swoon Well-Known Member

I presume that this is because most freight travels by rail in Europe. I have been over in southern Germany a few times and I can't remember even seeing a big rig on the autobahn.

4. atlaw4u

atlaw4u Well-Known Member

swoon - I don't know what part of the country you were travelling in but I was shocked at how many rigs we saw on the autobahn during our trip last year.

5. Earthling

Earthling Trying to be kind to Mother Earth

Wal-Mart, which operates one of the US's biggest fleets, is financing the Navistar-Cummins-ArvinMeritor joint venture.

Wal-Mart is showing some leadership with environmental/energy issues.

Harry

6. Earthling

By the way, I also think pickup trucks would make good platforms for full-hybrid vehicles, no matter what Luddite Lutz says.

Harry

7. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

this is absolutely great news!! any numbers concerning mileage efficiency of these hybrids?? i think the americanist society should start baring its claws and show the rest of the world what we really are and that this is a nation of possibility. maybe this will be a revolution that will catapult us into a new era. this is quite a bit exciting, I sense a lot of good things to come...a lot!

8. Earthling

9. swoon

swoon Well-Known Member

I was out in the country between Frankfurt and Munich. I did see quite a few of those skinny vans and trucks that allow more room to go down the cobblestone streets in towns.