Road for electric car makers full of potholes

Discussion in 'BEV or Battery Electric Vehicle' started by xcel, Apr 6, 2008.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Lacking the acumen of traditional automakers, the start-ups building the vehicles are struggling with production problems.

[xfloat=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/Fisker_Karma.jpg[/xfloat]Ken Bensinger - LA Times - April 5, 2008

Fisker Karma sedan – Serial PHEV-50 w/ a 0 - 60 in 6 seconds. Still in the development phase.

One thing is clear, either these companies start to produce or they are wasting their time as well as ours. -- Ed.

On an overcast Friday in February, about 100 people gathered behind Tesla Motors Inc. headquarters, awaiting the future of transportation. A truck pulled up with a trailer, which disgorged a sleek black electric sports car that promises to change the world as much as the Model T did a century ago.

The crowd toasted with champagne as Elon Musk, Tesla's chairman, climbed a staircase and made a triumphant speech. "This is the culmination of an enormous amount of work," he said.

What he didn't mention was that Tesla's Roadster had arrived months behind schedule with an improvised transmission that reduced acceleration by 40%. Or that the San Carlos, Calif.-based company's visionary co-founder had been abruptly ousted months before. Or that Tesla plans to make fewer than 1,000 of the cars this year -- and sell them for $100,000 apiece.

Tesla and more than two dozen other start-up companies -- most based in California and backed by piles of venture capital -- are in a feverish race to develop a viable electricity-powered alternative to the internal combustion engine. Electric cars, they argue, offer less pollution and noiseless operation for a fraction of the per-mile cost of traditional automobiles, while weaning drivers off oil.

Yet even environmentalists and investors who want to see these companies succeed question whether they have the know-how or leadership to replace the nation's gasoline fleet with one that runs on electrons. Despite increasing competition from rival technologies such as ethanol and hydrogen fuel cells, many of these companies seem bogged downfighting lawsuits, issuing breathless press releases, pummeling their rivals on blogs and bickering internally. … [rm]http://www.latimes.com/classified/automotive/highway1/la-fi-garage5apr05,0,3070199.story[/rm]

2. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

I'm hoping this is fairly typical for a burgeoning industry... but I certainly wish they would hurry up and get it worked out! I wanted an electric car as soon as I could drive...