Truckers to Strike over Record Diesel Prices

Discussion in 'Commerical Transportation' started by lamebums, Apr 1, 2008.

1. lamebums

lamebums Member

Some Paying Up to $1,200 to Fill Up

[xfloat=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/500/gas_prices1.jpg[/xfloat]FOX News - April 1, 2008

Bring back the 1970's. :( - Ed.

MEDFORD, Ore. — Independent U.S. truckers are planning to stop hauling freight Tuesday in protest of record-high diesel prices that drivers say they can no longer afford.

Independent truckers, who constitute 90 percent of the nation's trucking fleet, are being hit especially hard by soaring diesel prices and compensation lags far behind rising costs, according to the American Trucking Association.

"Diesel used to be 30 to 40 cents cheaper than regular gasoline; now it's 30 to 40 cents more," said independent truck driver Gordon Gravely, of Helena, Mont., who stopped at the Phoenix Petro Truck Stop on his way to Roseburg, Ore.

Many truckers are spreading word of a strike through Internet blogs and over their CB radios, encouraging everyone to put their trucks in park in order to send the message to U.S. oil companies and the federal government.

"Make a stand, we're going to unite. It’s something we've needed to do," said truck driver Carla Skipworth.

Diesel this week was at an average of more than $4 a gallon in Oregon and Washington and nearly $4.12 in California, according to the American Trucking Association. If a trucker is filling up a 300-gallon semi, that bill could top $1,200…[rm]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,344170,00.html[/rm]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2008
  2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

___I just hope this does not get nasty (as in violence) but a protest is not going to lower prices any for the over the road drivers :( A stoppage might as Diesel begins to fill the plaza’s underground tanks to overflow but I am sure FedEx, UPS or WalMart will take advantage of any short term windfall like that guaranteed.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

3. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

One way or another, trucking stuff around is going to have to get more expensive. Either the fuel costs will have to be passed on or the number of trucks will decrease, driving up the cost of freight.

4. mparrish

mparrish Rosie the Riveter Redux

The depressing aspect of an article like this is the absense of both knowledge and shared sacrifice.

We're gonna hear a lot of this in the future. "Expensive energy is destroying my livelihood and I don't know why it is so".

If the truckers were saying "Expensive energy caused by supply constraints is destroying my livelihood, and we need a solution such that we all bear the burden of transition", then I'd feel better. But we are nowhere near that.

I don't really have any good solutions. Most of them involve temporary, "crisis" solutions that anyone who refuses to acknowledge we are in a crisis would shoot down easily. Rationing, efficiency, regulation to avoid penalizing independents vs. those under corporate umbrellas. But currently it is like watching a terrible movie with too many overboard and too few lifeboats.

5. mparrish

mparrish Rosie the Riveter Redux

Also, re-read the article and notice how it is standard fare for our media.

What is causing the problem of expensive energy?
    What is the solution, or possible solutions?

Nothing. Just crickets. We accept this type of journalism because it is so ever present, but it is actually much less common than in other countries, and much less common than in the US as little as 30 years ago. No investigative journalism, just he said/she said non-confrontational stenography.

The truckers are hurting, so go interview the truckers and talk about how they are hurting. That'll do.

6. 300TTto545

300TTto545 Well-Known Member

As a physician - my malpractice insurance is growing too fast. We will stop practicing tomorrow unless someone fixes this. Funny - that didn't work too well. Oh well - back to the drawing board. At least malpractice rates are somewhat controllable by the government and can be zero - like in Florida - where many don't carry insurance.

Blaming oil companies and the government - that to me is the real problem. People want there to be a simple conspiracy - it must be so. Windfall profits etc. It is nice to see some action - now we need someone in power with some respect (sorry Bush) to explain why prices are rising and how there is very little we can do about it (in the short term at least).

7. toastblows

toastblows Well-Known Member

On the subject of trucking, fuel, food, whatever increases....i was looking over the advertisements in the sunday paper.

A 12 pack of regular pepsi ranged from $2.50 to $4.19 between retailers in my suburb. All of them are trucked, all use corn syrup, as a base example. So if all retailers are large chains....what is the actual profit....seriously, everyone is struggling, stuff is going up...and crap like this ranges 50% in price. I have to believe at $2.50 they are making profit, otherwise whats the point...hmmmm

8. warthog1984

warthog1984 Well-Known Member

Some retailers will make a profit on every time, others will break even or lose on some to boost sales of more profitable items. That's why milk's in the back. The profit isn't much, but you have to go past all the marked-up stuff to get to it.

Also, chains get better pricing and do not have as much carry costs due to turnover rate as smaller stores or independents.

9. Robert Lastick

Robert Lastick Well-Known Member

Well, I am truly open to any other explanation. But;

1. The "not now so big 3" have conspired for decades to keep high MPG vehicles out of this country, some that they make themselves for Europe. That is a fact and they have been doing it to line their pockets because, as they say, "we don't need the competition here".

2. The oil industry has been engaged in price collusion, price fixing and various violations of anti trust for decades. That is a fact that can be totally verified thru simple, casual observation. They have engaged in this because doing so eliminates competition and allows all of them "windfall profits". I do believe that these oil companies are, and have been for years, using unethical practices in restraint of what should be free competition, to literally milk this country for everything they could.

3. Finally, I do not think the auto industry and the oil industry would have been able to do this alone. They would have had to have help from the government. More exactly, they would have to have paid key people in the government through special interest groups, lobbyists, to ignore their illegal activities.

I see that as conspiracy. Not a simple conspiracy, but an elaborate conspiracy that has grown over time in response to an ever increasing threat to their profits.

But, please, 300TTto545, this is only the way I see it. Please let me know where I am wrong. :confused: If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck and flys like a duck, well........

Bob.