VW shows off its new models to the European Continent -- for the second time.

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Mar 28, 2008.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Not a peep about the US’ future offerings.

[xfloat=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/VW_Golf_Hybrid_Concept.jpg[/xfloat]Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - March 28, 2008

The VW Golf TDI Hybrid Concept demonstrates the fuel saving potential that is possible when a detuned, high-tech, latest generation 74 HP turbo-diesel engine is combined with a 26 HP Electric Motor and a 7-speed DSG (Dual clutch automatic) transmission. Designed as an extremely fuel efficient full hybrid, the Golf TDI Hybrid Concept masters both economical fuel consumption while the diesel engine is running and emissions-free driving when running on the electric motor alone. In the city, an automatic start/stop feature automatically shuts down the turbo-diesel whenever the vehicle is at a stop.

Leipzig - Volkswagen will be premiering six new models to the German public at the 2008 Automobile International Autoshow next moth. These models will be highlighted by the Golf TDI Hybrid Concept with full-hybrid capability as first seen at the Geneva Autoshow earlier this month. With an estimated 69 mpgUS combined on the NEDC (New European Driving Cycle), it will not be long and this concept will be cruising the Autobahn.

Volkswagen’s next show highlight includes the return of the sports oriented yet all-new two-door Scirocco. The Scirocco will be available with four TDI and TSI engines with HP ranges from 120 to 197 that are as powerful as they are economical.

Besides the Golf TDI Hybrid and all-new Scirocco, four other models will be released including the Passat 4-door CC, Golf TDI 4-Motion, natural gas powered Passat TSI EcoFuel and a Caddy Maxi Life camper called the Tramper.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    VW Scirocco----------------------------------------------------------------VW Passat CC​

The Passat CC is one of the most important new Volkswagen models of the year. Its calling card is a 4-door design with a coupe like appearance. The Passat CC is a technology platform with high-end vehicle dynamic systems. They include a “Lane Assist” lane-keeping system and a new “adaptive chassis control” system. Volkswagen will be offering the Passat CC with either a TSI or FSI gasoline engine options delivering 158, 197, and 295 HP while the two TDI engines offered will be available in either a 138 or 167 HP variant.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    VW Golf TDI 4-Motion----------------------------------------------------------------VW Passat TSI EcoFuel​

The Golf TDI 4Motion’s claim to fame is its full-time all-wheel drive. It provides the best possible road grip even under the harshest of conditions. In extreme cases, up to 100 percent of the car’s available power can be transferred to the rear wheels. The 4Motion system is paired with an economical and powerful TDI with 103 HP. The Golf TDI 4Motion accelerates from a stop to 60 in 12.7 seconds with a top speed of 115 mph while achieving 39 mpgUS combined on the NEDC driving cycles.

The Passat TSI EcoFuel marks the beginning of a new era for natural gas powered cars, a fuel that is as environmentally-friendly as it is economical. With a powerful 147 HP capable direct-injection turbo engine – configured to run off very inexpensive natural gas operation, the TSI EcoFuel will be one of the least expensive and cleanest vehicles to operate in the entire VW lineup.

Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles is also presenting the camper variant of the Caddy Maxi Life under the name Tramper. This models extensive equipment underscores the utility of the “small” passenger vans produced in Hannover as campers.

I am sure the European’s could do without the high HP and gas/diesel guzzling Scirocco, Passat and Tramper but the fuel efficient Diesel, Diesel Hybrid and NG powered models could sit in their "or our" drives at any time ;)

2. jsmithy

jsmithy Well-Known Member

Re: VW shows off its new models to the European Continent

Golf TDI Hybrid. Nice!!!!!!!

3. KrazyDawg

KrazyDawg Well-Known Member

Any guess as to what the mileage would be on the diesel hybrid?

4. c0da

c0da Well-Known Member

I think it said 69mpg US. That isn't as big of an improvement as I hoped it could have been.

5. KrazyDawg

KrazyDawg Well-Known Member

I agree it does seem a little low when the prius old epa ratings are a combined 55. I was hoping it would be in the 75-80s range.

6. pdk

pdk Beacon of Sanity

But if that 69 MPG is close to 69 MPG per the 2008+ EPA ratings, then we're talking. That'd be like 80-85 MPG per pre-08 ratings.

7. bomber991

bomber991 Well-Known Member

How does the "New European Driving Cycle" compare to the EPA 08+ estimates? Anybody know? Or rather, anyone have a website with the NEDC numbers on all the autos in europe? Similar to the fueleconomy.gov site please. Thanks.

8. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Bomber:

___The following should help … If you want the NEDC specs, I have those too but the Euro Urban/Extra Urban and Japan 10/15 driving cycles are posted on the US EPA site too.

___WRT the Golf Diesel-Hybrid, you cannot exactly compare CO2 output on the NEDC combined due to Diesel having about 10% more CO2 output per L consumed but you can compare the FE on the same FE test cycles.

Toyota Prius-II: 54.7 mpgUS combined - 104 g/km on the NEDC.
    VW Golf TD-Hybrid: 69.2 mpgUS combined - 89 g/km on the NEDC.

___Missing is that the Prius-II has been available for 4 years now whereas the Golf TDI-Hybrid is still just a working concept :(

___Good Luck

___Wayne

9. shifty35

shifty35 Well-Known Member

This is basically what the Insight would have looked like had it been designed today rather than 10 years ago - full hybrid with a small diesel.

I'd expect similar numbers to the diesel Civic, with another 10-15% on top of it. A 74 HP diesel ICE is probably in the 1-1.3L range compared to the Civic's 2.2L.

10. Maxx

Maxx He who posts articles

I hate that the new Scirocco keeps being dangled in front of me... I would LOVE that car if they brought it here! Early reports indicated a 1.4L twincharger!? Oh well...