Maximum HP

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by AudiTT, Mar 26, 2008.

1. AudiTT

AudiTT Member

I just received my ScanGaugeII unit and I am having a ball playing with it. I have it installed in my highly modified 2002 225 Audi TT QC.
    I've already used the x-gauge option to add HP and a few other gauges.
    I have a question relative to the iHP reading.
    I am only interested in peak HP. This only happens at nearly redline and I can't get a good handle on it since I am too busy shifting before I redline. The screen is almost impossible to read in daylight and thus this complicates the effort.
    Now for the question: Does anyone know how to change the x-gauge inputs to record Maximum HP instead of instantaneous, or both.
    SGII can recall a number of Maximum values in the Trip mode but none in the Gauge mode that I am aware of.
    The second item relative to the SGII is that it is almost impossible to read in the sunlight. The background color makes no difference. I've even tried to put a 6" hood around the gauge and it didn't help in the strong sunlight at all. Can anything be done to make it legible in the daytime?

Any help along these lines would be greatly appreciated.

2. -mr. bill

-mr. bill Senior Member

Strongly urge you *not* to street dyno your car. If you are that curious about your peak HP, take it to a local enthusiast shop and put it on a Dynojet or Dynapack where you can SAFELY measure peak HP.

On the question about reading it in strong sunlight, the backlight will have *NO* effect. You should mount it directly in your line of sight, be careful with your viewing angle (it drops off rapidly off axis in bright sunlight), and you should be fine. I don't even have a shroud, and I can read it fine during the day.

-mr. bill

3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Like MR Bill said-straight on.Another trick-do your reading while going uphill in a very low gear so you aren't going very fast,and the slower acceleration(up hill) will give you more time to look without over revving.
    Charlie

4. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

If you must do this, try it with a friend riding along, and have him do the reading. Or have him video it for analysis later.

5. jimepting

jimepting Well-Known Member

A trick I found with improving visibility of the SG in daylight. The glass surface is almost mirror like in daylight. Mine was reflecting my light colored clothing, which totally obscured the readings. I rotated it just a couple of degrees and that solved the problem.

Still, I strong agree with the others. DO NOT be doing any adventerous driving while trying to read the SG. Very dangerous.

6. AudiTT

AudiTT Member

The reflections off the glass are only one problem. The dimness of the display, even without reflections, is another.

As I mentioned in my first post....The only way to get peak HP is to rev the car up to redline in a chosen gear. I've tried both 2nd & 3rd but things happen so quick, and the ScanGauge so dim, that I can't get a good reading. That's why I would love to be able to store the maximum HP value for later viewing. I don't see why this simple feat cannot be executed.

AudiTT

7. AudiTT

AudiTT Member

The two answers that I'm getting are:

1 - Don't even try to obtain peak HP.

2 - Learn to live with the dim screen in the light of day.

Not much help guys.

If I could make up a gauge that would record peak HP & hold it until that value was surpassed, I would be happy even with the barely legible screen. This is because then I would have time to concentrate and adjust my eyesight to reading other gauge values that are not as immediate as the peak HP.

Any takers?:Banane45:

8. phoebeisis

You probably won't find a way to get max HP recorded.Like others have said,get a helper,and do it uphill.Uphill will allow a lot more time to see the reading,since the vehicle will accelerate a lot more slowly uphill.Use a hill or an interstate overpass.
    You can do it legally,at a relatively low speed if you use a hill.The only other way to get more time is to read is do it in a tall gear-5th or 6th-but you will be going waaaay too fast-120 mph or so-in a tall gear.
    Charlie
    PS-Do you have a camera that will actually tape for about 10 seconds.If so, just set the camera to view the screen for 10 seconds.Put them both on a little box to hold them at whatever distance you need to get it in focus.

9. AudiTT

AudiTT Member

Thank you Charlie,

I will try the uphill trick and see how that works. In 3rd gear I redline a little over 80 so that's OK on the Interstate. The limit is 70 and I go 5-10 over all the time anyway.
    I know where there's a steep, long hill a few miles away. I'll try it first in 2nd, but I reach redline so quickly in 2nd that I don't know if I'll have time. If not I'll go to 3rd. And I will try to get a helper. The only problem is that I have the Gauge permanently mounted on my left side (directly in my line of vision) and I don't know if a passenger could read it. The car, for all practical purposes, is a two seater.
    I thank you, and all the others, for your inputs,

AudiTT :Banane45:

10. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I really don't know what you mean about the display being dim. Mine's clear and easy to ready at any time of day or night. The only time it's remotely close to unreadable is when it's been sitting in a hot car in direct sunlight all day, in July. Maybe your is defective?

11. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

silly question: Have you adjusted the brightness, not just the color?

Bill

12. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

Mine was dim also when I first got it. I thought that was the way it was suppose to be. When I saw someone else's I realized mine must be defective. It was, I returned it and got it fixed. It now is much brighter and is backlit at night.

13. AudiTT

AudiTT Member

I don't think so Andrew,
    At night it's gorgeous. Easy to read. In the day it's much harder to see. My eyes close down more than others in the sunlight. I have to wear shades outside whenever the sun is out. I have flip-up shades and either way the display is very dim because my pupils are so contracted. I guess most of you don't have that problem with your eyes.

AudiTT:Banane45:

14. AudiTT

AudiTT Member

But of course Bill,
    That was the first thing I checked. High Intensity. Like I said, at night, or in the garage out of the sun, it's beautiful. I go through all the colors and they are bright, well except the red background that is questionable. I like it with a hint of green. That gives me the highest contrast out of the sun. In the sunlight, all bets are off.

AudiTT:Banane45:

15. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Why are you trying to measure peak hp anyway? This seems an unlikely location to find similar interest in power when we are so focussed on fuel economy -- which takes us nowhere near redline.

What have you been trying to boost your fuel economy? Are there any techniques you'd like to learn more about?

16. lightfoot

lightfoot Reformed speeder

Maybe the G forces are draining the blood from your brain and causing a partial blackout? Have you considered wearing a pressure suit?

Seriously, the recommendation to dyno it is sensible. That would give you real hp numbers and a lot of additional useful data.

But as RLC says, this is a fuel economy forum so it does seem a bit odd to post here for help in burning more fuel. It's also a remarkably friendly forum which is why responses have been so tolerant and helpful.

You should try driving for FE. I've done more than my share of fast driving and riding and was surprised to find driving for MPG every bit as challenging and entertaining as speed and acceleration.

17. phoebeisis

Right lane Cruiser Lightfoot-,
    This is a pretty good place for all sort of moto head info.There are a quite a few reformed(and not quite reformed) hot rodders on this forum.This is a good place to pursue moto head "stuff." Some of the acceleration/speed tricks-weight loss and decreased drag-work great for FE and acceleration.

Most of the one time hot rodders know to restrain their impulses when posting here.

Thanks,
    Charlie

18. lightfoot

lightfoot Reformed speeder

Yup, and count me (and probably RLC too) amongst them. In the day, I modified various cars I owned. Most extensively, an Alfa Spyder which I converted to Weber carbs, recurved distributor, electronic ignition, high lift cams, plus roll bar and minor suspension improvements. Conceptually not unlike the TT. And I drove it as fast as I could on canyon roads in Southern Calif.

Then for more accel I switched to motorcycles. Realizing I had little throttle restraint (and confirming this by riding larger bikes), I stuck to relatively sedate bikes. But even the VFR has enough accel to give me vertigo, wheelie, and spin the rear tire.

But what many performance drivers have a hard time grasping is that driving for economy is not boring; it's even more fun than going insanely fast. I'm having so much fun with the Insight I haven't touched the motorcycle in a year and a half. Even though the bike delivers 45mpg at 80mph, getting higher mpg in the Insight is more fun and satisfying.

19. -mr. bill

-mr. bill Senior Member

1 - The sampling rate of the Scangauge II is such that you will *not* catch "peak horsepower" unless you do dozens of WOT runs.

2 - The HP number reported by the ECM to the Scangauge II - an approximation.

3 - A chassis dyno will give you the number you seek, for less than the cost of the gas for all those runs.

-mr. bill

20. phoebeisis

Lightfoot,
    I kinda figured as much.When I was young,and constantly tinkering with my SR500(1980 kickstart only 500cc 4 stroke Yamaha) I would do the "Midnight Dyno" after installing some "performance part".It consisted of finding a deserted stretch of interstate and seeing if it was faster.Luckily, it would only do about 96mph stock,and not too much more-sometimes less-with the usual carb/exhaust mods.Really stupid of course,since top speed with no regearing wasn't a great way to try to measure an increase in HP-Stupidly dangerous also.

The Midnight Dyno!!

You're right of course-driving for FE is a lot of fun-lot safer too.My current project-a Suburban(other car is a Prius) responds pretty well to P&G and someday I'll regear it and maybe drop it 2" 3" to get less drag.It has plenty of extra weight-the 3rd row seat was about 100 lbs,and I plan to lose most of the second row(another 100 lbs) also,so I have lots of flat space for sleeping.I'll replace the 2nd row with light plywood.I might put a spring loaded chin spoiler on it also-get it within a couple inches of the ground.It is a pretty useful vehicle if you keep yearly miles low-(cheap too-no surprise there).It is a lot more useful than my short bed pickups were-it can carry 4x8 building material with the doors shut.It can also carry all our animals-1 leggy dog,4 cats if we have to leave town(NOLA).

Thanks,
    Charlie