Starting to hypermile

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by LionGreen, Mar 19, 2008.

1. LionGreen

LionGreen Well-Known Member

Hello :)

I’m starting to practice some basic Hypermiling techniques…

First my car:
    It’s a 1998 Honda Civic 1.4iS, manual, and has 90 PS (European version)

I check my tire pressure and putt into max for my tires (175/65R14)
    Smooth accelerations
    Avoid breaking heavily
    Running around 2000 / 2500 rpm maximum speed 80Km/h (50 miles per hour)
    Turn off the engine at long stop periods (more then 1 minute on light signs)
    Also trying to take advantage some downhill’s to shift to neutral
    A lot’s of patience :D

My consume is around 6.5l / 100 Km (36.3 MPG) and I use most is gasoline 95 so far and I want to improve…but I know it’s difficult get better results.

But I have some questions about Pulse and Glide…I read that this technique improves more fuel economy than drive in same motor rotation most of time…

I hope I can improve my results.

Best regards :Banane35:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  2. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Re: Starting to hypermiling

Good to have you, LionGreen!!

You have a fantastic car for hypermiling -- you should be able to get up over the 40mpg mark without too much trouble if you are willing to put some effort into it. :)

You are correct about P&G -- that is how I managed to pull such high numbers from my Elantra. What specific questions do you have about this technique?

3. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

That's right. P&G works especially well in our cars. :) I'll usually keep the rpm below 2,000 when just getting up to speed, with a light touch on the accelerator - just barely gaining speed.

Then, when I'm moving, I change over to P&G. I pulse from about 1,500 rpm to a bit over 2,000 rpm, then shift if needed. About 1/2 to 3/4 throttle - pretty heavy. Then pop into neutral and key off. (Important - key back to the "on" position as soon as the engine stops!) When the speed gets lower, bump-start with the clutch and pulse again.

4. LionGreen

I'll give it a try on my next refulling.
    Can't wait to see the results :) but I expected some trouble first...need to practice some of the techniques (and pacience) lol.
    Now i understand a bit about P&G the problem now is the stop signs, trying to antecipate ligh signs, stops, traffic...with out using much the brakes.

5. msantos

msantos Eco Accelerometrist

Hi LionGreen;

Whereabouts in Portugal are you from ? I find it quite refreshing to hear of someone willing to drive so differently from what the typical "Lusitano" does. I simply dread having to drive on some Portuguese highways every time I go there to visit my folks. ;)

Cheers;

MSantos

6. LionGreen

:D I'm from Setubal.
    I know that "Lusitano" style always keep gaz on the pedal lol but the price of fuel is rising... 1.40€ per liter and t rying reduce the emissions. If you know the dificult to find someone to talk about economical driving...most of my friends thinks I'm crazy. lol

Update: I know that the better way to calculate the right consume is full a tank and make the calculations...but I start to apply some techniques (very usefull).

In my last refuelling 17.75 liters for 315Km..... 5.63l/100Km arround 41.7 MPG :)
    It was very impressive...and I never see something like that :woot:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  7. RPM

RPM Member

Impressive results, LionGreen! :)
    Nevermind your friends, its normal for people to look down on progressive thinkers. When Copernicus's theory displaced the Earth from the center of the universe, everyone thought he was out of his mind...

msantos, that was funny. Coming from Canada, I guess our driving might seem a little aggressive at first. ;) But if you want to see some real action, you should try Italy. :D

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  8. msantos

msantos Eco Accelerometrist

LionGreen:

Ah, Setubal... beautiful part of the country with some good opportunities for hypermiling... as long as we stay off the main highways that is. ;)

RPM:

Yes, I confess that having people honk at me when I actually stop at a "STOP" sign in most Portuguese roads is pretty scary especially for the average Canadian. Never mind the incredibly fast speeds I see regularly occurring on the main access highways (the one from Setubal to Faro for example?).

I agree that Italian urban driving is at an entirely different level altogether. I fact, I don't even rent a car when I visit Italy for that same reason. Instead taking a cab ends-up being the best option for me - safer and less stressful !!!

Cheers;

MSantos

9. RPM

RPM Member

I see what you mean with the stop signs. The law states you should always stop, but in practice you only do so if there is oncoming traffic or if you have poor visibility. Its not uncommon for me to run stop signs at around 30 mph, visibility permitting.

The police will be happy to give you a ticket if you don't slow down enough though, so one should be wary.

10. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi RPM:

___As more European’s join up, we are seeing a unique disconnect wrt fuel economy and driving habits. I do a lot of News on the wonderful diesels you have available to you but if everyone is driving with their foot to the floor or on the brakes (as do most in the US drive unfortunately :(), some of your eco minded vehicles attributes are being thrown away? The term Eco-driving is a European term from my understanding and speaking with members from the UK, Olso and the Balkin’s, eco-driving is as unfamiliar to most over there as fuel economy and efficiency is here for some reason??? Do you find this to be the case in Italy and Portugal as well?

___As for stop signs, I would love to see the rolling stop implemented with the kind of leeway your local constables seem to allow. A 10 + mph roll would do wonders for ones FE here but the way some drive in the US, I suspect the numbers of high speed T-Bones would rise dramatically :(

___Good Luck

___Wayne

11. RPM

RPM Member

Dear Wayne,

Unfortunately, yes. From my experience, the average driver is overly aggressive, especially in city driving.

Usually, when people are unhappy with their FE they just buy a new, more economical car without giving a second's thought to their driving habits. I love the look on people's faces when they learn I get better mileage with my gasoline car than they do with their diesel.
    The public needs to be educated.

12. LionGreen

Sometimes I have to take my car to work (only on weekends) and it's an 55 miles outward and return journey (50% country road / 50% highway)

I think it’s safe driving at 50 MPH on country roads…I’m not embarrassing the traffic lol but in highway it’s not very safe…most on my way home I had to speed to 60…(here in Portugal)

I also have to try FAS, PP (a bit difficult...only plain terrain here) on my city journeys...

Best Regards

13. LionGreen

Hello all :)

Yesterday I finish my last refuelling.
    I made some city travelling, using Fas some times, max speed to 30 MPH and smart braking. On the Highway I made some drafting (distant draft) but I increase my max speed to 68MPH (around 110Km/h).
    On Country roads my max speed was 50MPH (80Km/h) running around 2000 / 2500 rpm.
    21.46 litters for 360Km….5.96l/100Km (39.5 MPG)
    I think i'm getting some good results :D but I have to keep practice...maybe I'll have better results ;)

Best Regards :Banane35:

14. LionGreen

Hello

It pass some time since my last post :( i'm sorry (shame on me)

Last week I made a long trip….going to south spending the weekend ;) around 560 Km, that’s 348 Miles…; my country is a small one…
    I made this trip mostly in country roads around 80Km/h and 100Km/h (some down hill lol).
    When I came back home I still have gasoline for more 200Km….I hope I can make 800Km on my first tank (but in these week my sister is using the car too) yes that was the first time I fill up the tank.
    Now I still have some questions, now about down hill.
    In modern cars, when we don’t hit the accelerator pedal, the engine cut’s off the full…but what about the older ones like mine?
    Sometimes I shift in neutral and let the car gain some speed…but sometimes I shift in fifth gear and let the car go…but I don’t have BC on my car for making the comparison and the SGII it’s not compatible whit my car :(

Best Regards:Banane35:

15. PaleMelanesian

Mine does cut off fuel going downhill in gear. I think yours will too, then.

16. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Lion Green:

___I am not going to guarantee fuel cut in a Euro 98 but I think you have been with us long enough to try FAS’ing now. With a stick, this is pretty easy and at the speeds you are traveling; it will really help your overall.

___What I would love to see is an all encompassing European Group Meet go off with fully laydened Hypermiling clinics at the end of the day to bring everybody up to speed quickly. If you ever get over to the sates, ring any of us up and it will make for a very interesting get together for sure ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

17. LionGreen

I finish my tank and I made 790Km (I think that could be a little more…the reserve light didn’t blink) 5.73l / 100Km that’s 41 MPG :)

I confirmed that my car cut off fuel going downhill in gear…I search my car’s technical manual on Internet and talk’s about all the electronics (never think that an 98 model have so much electronic :eek:)

Time to improve more these numbers ;)

18. LionGreen

Hello again ;)

I have a new question, this time is about tyres.

I’m thinking change my tyres and buy some nice wheels…my current size is 175/65 14 and I was thinking to get 195/50 15.
    Is this size harm very much my current consumptions?
    It’s better to keep the current size of my tires?

Thanks in advance :Banane07:

19. PaleMelanesian

The 195 part will hurt you. Also, tires in those sizes tend to be "performance" tires, with worse rolling resistance. Look in the files section here for some lists of tires, and see if you can find one of those models.

Pay attention to aerodynamics and weight when choosing the wheels. Notice how the civic hybrid has almost fully smooth and flat wheels. Also, the weight matters much more here than elsewhere on the car - it's moving up and down with road bumps, and it's spinning. It matters maybe 2-3 times as much as weight inside the car.

20. LionGreen

Hi ;)

So far is my best numbers

40.76 liters
    780Km
    5.23l/100Km
    44.97 MPG

:Banane06:

Used some techniques (FAS on light signs, Nice-on, Driving whiout breaks and some pulse and gliding)
    I believe I can got better numbers...but i am still learning
    What do you think about these numbers?

Best Regards