700HP Electric Car Available for Pre-Order

Discussion in 'BEV or Battery Electric Vehicle' started by atlaw4u, Mar 17, 2008.

1. atlaw4u

atlaw4u Well-Known Member

The 700 Horse Power Lightning GT is one step closer to production.

[xfloat=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/Lightning_warehouse_small.jpg[/xfloat]Motor Authority - Mar 5, 2008

The electric sports car segment is about to heat up with the announcement that UK’s Lightning Car Company is now taking pre-orders for its all-electric GT ahead of a scheduled launch date in early 2009. We first reported about the Lightning GT in June of last year but since then the car’s design has been given a total revamp and final production specifications have been confirmed.

Powering the GT is a new 700hp electric powertrain featuring nano titanate battery technology, which is enough to propel the car from 0-60mph in a flat four seconds and take it a top speed of about 130mph. The electric drive system, dubbed Hi-Pa Drive, packs four permanent magnet brushless motors developing at least 120kW in each wheel and features full traction control and regenerative braking on all four wheels independently.

American rival Tesla Motors has had some major issues with the transmission system in the Tesla Roadster in months following up to their planned release date, however Lightning should have no such problems. Due to power being developed separately in each wheel, there are no gearboxes, differentials, axles, drive shafts or propshafts in the Lightning sports car.

One of the key benefits of electric vehicles is that they have maximum available power at the wheels at any speed, unlike a petrol engine where maximum power is only obtained high up in the rev range. Officials claim charging the batteries for just ten minutes will provide up to 250 miles of driving, and at current prices driving one mile will cost just 2.5 cents.

To save weight, the car’s body is made from carbon fibre and Kevlar, and even with the full array of batteries on board the GT has a near ideal weight distribution of 48/52 front to rear. The car is also available with luxury items such as air-conditioning, satnav, and full leather trim…[rm]http://www.motorauthority.com/news/coupes/700hp-lightning-gt-electric-car-available-for-pre-order/[/rm]

2. atlaw4u

atlaw4u Well-Known Member

Thank you Sledge for the find. This looks like direct competition for the Tesla Roadster.

3. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

I think that these companies that are building the high performance EV sports car are doing a great thing. Here is why

The general public up to now has the image of the elecdtric car as a golf cart. Almost all the electric cars that the general public has delt with are underpowered slow electric vehicles with limited range.

When the general public see high performance sports cars that are EVs then it is easy to make the jump to a normal car that is an EV.

4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Sledge:

___Not only does it look kind of Jaguar’ish, I bet we see this in the next James Bond movie. I cannot wait either :D

___Good Luck

___Wayne

5. friedlbug

friedlbug Well-Known Member

That's a very cool car, and I think it's great, but it's obvious competition with that kind of HP and 0-60 time is the Dodge Viper, and for some reason that top speed listed above is significantly slower than the Viper's. I wonder why if their 0-60 speeds are so similar?

6. Robert Lastick

Robert Lastick Well-Known Member

Wow! Nice wheels! This "nano titanate battery" must really be something else. The car will go 250 miles on a 10 minute recharge?? It will cost .025 / mile to drive? Driving 40 miles will cost $1.00??

Toyota needs to put this battery in a new model. They could call it "The Savior", because that is exactly what it would do for America and it's people!!

7. shifty35

shifty35 Well-Known Member

It doesn't have any gears. Try launching a Viper in 5th gear and see how long it takes to get you to 130... that's basically what this does. :D

8. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

well, you really cant compare a gas engine to an electric... for some ppl, the gear shifting and the rumble gives them a high, for others' i'm sure the zing of the elecric motors may cause some moments of heaven, but i'm sure with gears the GT wouldn't be what it currently is. that's what makes it different. vipers were made with a particular mindset, this GT was made with a completely different one. that said, I like the concept...i really dont think we need to be going 130..unless we get like super autobahn highways here..which is something i'm hoping for...that'll cut trips short. some vacuum highways might be nice :D

9. Bike123

Bike123 Well-Known Member

The 0-60 times and max speed don't seem to match because current (and thus torque) of an electric motor drops off as back EMF approaches the battery voltage (Current won't flow without a voltage drop). Back EMF is the voltage that a spinning magnet creates in a coil, and is proportional to the MotorTorqueConstant. Torque = MotorTorqueConstant * Current, and Current * Back EMF = shaft power.

10. Elixer

Elixer Well-Known Member

Yup, they could get even faster acceleration and a higher top speed with more than one gear - that's what the Tesla Roadster does.

11. B.L.E.

B.L.E. Well-Known Member

An alternative to shifting gears is to vary the motor's volt and torque constants while accelerating. Unfortunately, if you use permanent field magnets, that's not easy. Motors with series connected wound field magnets do this automatically.

Another way to "shift gears" is to run two motors, connected in series at low speeds and then switch to parallel for high speeds.