'85 Fiero

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by go_home_red, Mar 6, 2008.

1. go_home_red

go_home_red New Member

My turn for my first post. I drive a 1985 Fiero, which has a 2.8 V6 and a 4-speed manual transmission. I do some flat in-town driving, which amounts to about 2 miles (each way) per trip. I don't drive in town much, though, because I prefer to ride my bike--2 miles just isn't very far, and the lack of hills also helps.

I do more driving on the highways. The transmission seems to be well-suited for 55-60 mph, so that is what I do. I run 5W30 oil, 87/89 octane gas, and use the cruise control quite often (although sometimes it doesn't feel like working).

Just a few days ago, I put a bit more air in the tires--45 psi. I'm curious to see what kind of difference that makes.

Besides keeping the headlights down, does anyone have any suggestions?

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Member

Sounds like you are doing a lot of the right things (air pressure, oil, paying attention to best cruising speed, etc).

You could try to see how you do without the cruise on the highway. Depending on the terrain you may do better without it.

As you probably already know, it'd be hard to get high mpg with just a 2 miles trip.
    It's good to hear you ride your bike when possible. No one can beat that for gas mileage!

What part of the country are you in?

3. go_home_red

go_home_red New Member

I just added my profile--I live in Norfolk, Nebraska. A flat town surrounded by hills.

I will give the cruiseless driving a try.

4. applemac*fit

applemac*fit Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum!

What kind of fuel economy are you currently getting in your Fiero?

5. go_home_red

go_home_red New Member

On a good highway trip, I can get about 29. In town--well, in the cold we've had this winter (and nowhere to plug in my block heater), it's been as bad as 15. In the summer, it gets around 19 in town.

15 in my Fiero...that's painful to say.

6. Euroford

Euroford Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forum!

Fiero's are cool. Always been on my list of cars to own. Years ago, I thought about building a later model Fiero ('88 GT) up with an LT1 motor, and having some fun. But, these days my priorities have changed and I have visions of an EV Fiero in the back of my mind..

Cheers,
    Dave

7. rweatherford

rweatherford Times my Mileage by Six

How about swapping in a 5-speed with OD?

I'd guess the best FE is around 45 MPH in 4th with a light pedal. Do you know what final drive ratio is in your tranny?